The War Has Ended...

Paul Stoner 2

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I know I do not post much, but when I have something to say, I make it count...

My Experience With Microsoft...30 years...DOS/Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98/98SE, ME, 2000, NT, XP, 7, 8, 10, Windows Mobile, Windows 10 Mobile, Band 2, Lumia 1520, Lumia 950XL...

I don't think I have to tell everyone what happened next...

I loved Microsoft. The best productivity, the best games, the greatest versatility. *sigh* Those were the days. Satya Nadella and Joe Belfiore tell us all they have all these "developers ready to go for the most diverse app ecosystem ever" (that is a direct quote from Belfiore).

Then October 2017...Windows Phone, dead. Windows Mobile, dead. Band 2, Dead. Over $2000 dollars down the toilet of Microsoft hardware / software...

So I wrote Microsoft requesting restitution for my losses; not just for being a loyal customer, but Nadella's and Belfiore's direct admission to their failures.

Microsoft ACTUALLY took this seriously and escalated my request for restitution (Yes, I asked for a Surface Laptop - they only cost around $300 to make - so what would be the loss to them?). The senior representative that phoned me was very kind and understanding - not knocking him at all.

What did Microsoft offer me? A subscription to Office.

Thanks for nothing Microsoft. You burned us all, and then you slap me in the face with crumby offer...

Android and Chromebook from here on out. Good luck everyone...it's was great while it lasted...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how it's considered a loss. So, you had your Windows phones and devices and got the use out of them while you had them? And technically, those Windows Phones would still work.

But you should use whichever technology best suits your needs.

Paul Stoner 2

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I understand what you are saying, but with no app ecosystem (that was promised), and the good apps that WERE there falling out of the app store as devs felt no need to maintain them any longer - I am not sure how you would classify this as 'use'.

But you are right, I had to make a decision that was best for me and my needs. Android/Chrome it is...

My point was, it was just really sad to dump that chunk of change to have the rug pulled out from underneath me and nothing to show for it...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I understand what you are saying, but with no app ecosystem (that was promised), and the good apps that WERE there falling out of the app store as devs felt no need to maintain them any longer - I am not sure how you would classify this as 'use'.

But you are right, I had to make a decision that was best for me and my needs. Android/Chrome it is...

My point was, it was just really sad to dump that chunk of change to have the rug pulled out from underneath me and nothing to show for it...

I think it's great that you contacted MS for restitution. More of us should do this. My story is similar to yours, nearly identical in fact. I have had all the MS products and services (still got an Xbox One S), and had the phones, the Bands, the whole lot, and been burnt every time. However, now I am on Android, I still have all the same MS apps and services.

Your point here is exactly why my friend, who openly admits Windows Phones are far superior to Apple and Android, never bought one, because he knew in the end MS would screw him for doing so. Unfortunately it seems MS really don't care about us and they force us to move on regardless. Such a shame really. Perhaps MS will realise one day that they need us consumers, the very same people Satya Nadella doesn't believe in in his mission of 'cloud first-consumers never'.

MS may be making more money than ever before, and that might be a good thing to some people, but without the heart and soul that comes from caring about their consumers and listening to them, the parallels of MS now being the same company as IBM was (boring and stale) is becoming ever more closer.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So I wrote Microsoft requesting restitution for my losses; not just for being a loyal customer, but Nadella's and Belfiore's direct admission to their failures.

What did Microsoft offer me? A subscription to Office.

Thanks for nothing Microsoft.

Here's how to get the last laugh:

Talk them into a lifetime subscription. Then have yourself frozen for 12,659 years, costing them over a million dollars (even more if you survive defrosting).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I can see the OP's base point of this (at least for them) is now is a time to re-evaluate how much you want to be invested into a given ecosystem. For them, the excessive abandoning of projects and devices is the catalyst to cause this idea.

I will admit....I like Windows for my desktop PC. But when it comes to a mobile OS, I'm not really sold on it. Windows laptops for the longest time (been a while since I have used a windows laptop) have always run poorly on lower end hardware. I can see where the OP wants to go with something like a Chromebook, as they run quite well on inexpensive hardware.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I can see the OP's base point of this (at least for them) is now is a time to re-evaluate how much you want to be invested into a given ecosystem. For them, the excessive abandoning of projects and devices is the catalyst to cause this idea.

I will admit....I like Windows for my desktop PC. But when it comes to a mobile OS, I'm not really sold on it. Windows laptops for the longest time (been a while since I have used a windows laptop) have always run poorly on lower end hardware. I can see where the OP wants to go with something like a Chromebook, as they run quite well on inexpensive hardware.

I agree with this statement.
More important than the product itself sometimes is customer service. If you are going to invest in something, say an automobile, you want to make sure they will stand behind it for years to come.
Microsoft is making customers feel uneasy about purchasing their products. They jump from one thing to the next, abandon projects and consumers have no idea what they should do.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I hear you Paul! I also go way back; I remember picking up the new Windows 95 CD, and switching from Netscape to the new Internet Explorer 3 browser. I've got a pile of Windows phones (and memories) siting on my shelf. I'm not sure which saddens me more: the demise of Windows phone, or the death of Groove. If they kept the Groove subscriptions going, I could at least have kept using it on my S8+...

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Long time fan/user of Microsoft stuff and Hardware powered by Microsoft. Only once have I been off the Microsoft path in both PC and Mobile ( Vic-20 and Nokia when AT&T first came to Canada).

My first Windows Powered phone was Windows CE and Pocket PC, thanks to an Audiovox CF plug in and IA Dialer ( also the only time I've been served a Cease and desist letter, long story ).

So I feel the pain the OP has, however some free Office 365 seems about right!!! Rather high standard set asking for a Surface Laptop.

None of the Software or Hardware when powered on pops up a message saying "Sorry but outdated, please power down and visit your local Microsoft Store".

Heck if I still had it I am sure to this day my old Casio BE 300 with Windows CE would still work, slow sure, but it would work.

Not to say I have it worse, however if I were the sort I could make a case for my Acer Jade Primo. As Acer dropped support before it's warranty was out, Microsoft did nothing to fix any issues in getting updates, heck Acer did nothing about Specter ( not that Arm was a real risk but it could be).

The point is Microsoft offered something, when they really didn't have to. I say take whats free and make out like a Boss !!!!!!!

In the long run even if you switch Chromebook and Android, you still got something free. When you get screwed by Google ( and it will happen some where down the road), let us know what they offer to keep you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this statement.
More important than the product itself sometimes is customer service. If you are going to invest in something, say an automobile, you want to make sure they will stand behind it for years to come.
Microsoft is making customers feel uneasy about purchasing their products. They jump from one thing to the next, abandon projects and consumers have no idea what they should do.

I don’t condone what Microsoft has done and is doing but it’s not a phenomenon exclusive to Microsoft. Think about those people (hundreds of thousands) who bought shiny new Saabs, Saturns and Hummers just prior to GM’s free fall. The HP webOS debacle should serve as a reminder that beyond your one year warranty, every day after is gravy. No company is immune to some form of disaster as Papa John’s is finding out right now. Imagine some stupid comment from Tim Cook made while thinking the mic is off.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don’t condone what Microsoft has done and is doing but it’s not a phenomenon exclusive to Microsoft. Think about those people (hundreds of thousands) who bought shiny new Saabs, Saturns and Hummers just prior to GM’s free fall. The HP webOS debacle should serve as a reminder that beyond your one year warranty, every day after is gravy. No company is immune to some form of disaster as Papa John’s is finding out right now. Imagine some stupid comment from Tim Cook made while thinking the mic is off.

You’re absolutely correct and why I don’t “buy in” to any one operating system, automobile or any other product. It’s like only having one stock in your retirement portfolio and then complaining when that stock becomes worthless.
No, I would never blame only Microsoft, they just happen to be the focus of our conversation. Ultimately it’s the consumer that has to decide where to put their hard earned money, and then hold on for dear life!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Is shame people had and have to deal with this. Anyone who used WP8/W10M will feel this way and obviously the more one invested in Microsoft the deeper you are/were the more chances you have to get the burn. Most of us still using windows phones feel this every day.

The only one thing they have stuck with as a hw/sw solution-wise the whole time (even though it is not really that long) is the Surface line. There is Xbox too of course. I am not a gamer so I don't keep up with any of that though.

The OP justified a concern and did the right thing in voicing the concern directly to them. Seems weird though that they just settle on the Office Subscription. I mean it is not like you waited 10+ years to write a con for them now hoping to scam for some free hw. I don't see why they would not have just honored the request. Minute thing to do for them honestly.

Seems their leadership allows their mouths though to speak hastily about the future which in their case was uncertain. Or unpredictable. They don't understand how their customer base really takes that info seriously and to heart maybe.

Am not sure what Microsoft is making of all this from their end? How many actual users do they lose per year/month/day I wonder?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
the parallels of MS now being the same company as IBM was (boring and stale) is becoming ever more closer.

Why does that matter? I understand the sentiment, but Microsoft exists for the sole reason of making money. Nothing more; nothing less. There is no other reason.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Probably why they took his restitution request up the chain to senior levels only to basically sell him a temporarily-free service. In the end if they keep on the line he potentially would buy into future services or software...right?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Why does that matter? I understand the sentiment, but Microsoft exists for the sole reason of making money. Nothing more; nothing less. There is no other reason.

It matters to the consumers, sadly. My comparison to IBM is in regards to MS no longer wanting to be brave enough to take risks (e.g. Andromeda) and instead just play it safe by either doing nothing or releasing products that could have been better but now seem somehow out of place (Surface Go).

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Criminals are just in it for the money. You and I may just be in "it" for the money. The fact that someone is just in it for the money doesn't mean what they do towards that end does not matter.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Making money at the expense of customers instead of building a mutual relationship that benefits both.
Corporations like MS have gotten too big and have lost the fact that they exist because of customers. Companies had to make money 75 years ago too, but it was different (I know, I’m generalizing). Products were made to last and customer service was extremely important. Now it’s about convincing people they need the next best thing so the company can make more money.
Until people walk away things will never change.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos