Smart watches

Pepe D Vegas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have absolutely no interest in ever purchasing a smart watch. I fiddled with one the other day and it just doesn't seem right using one. Awkward is the word that comes to mind.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have absolutely no interest in ever purchasing a smart watch. I fiddled with one the other day and it just doesn't seem right using one. Awkward is the word that comes to mind.
I think a smart watch makes sense if you have a specific use for it or you like to tinker with new tech. Many people would like to see incoming notifications but getting the phone out is not a convient or available option.

For instance where my wife works they are not allowed to have their phone out on their desks. If she wants to know who sent the text that just came in she can just glance at her watch. If she wants to listen to music with her earbuds she can control it from the watch. There are probably many jobs where you may need to use both hands, like on an assembly line, where having the ability to glance at your watch to see a text or subject of an email would be a great benefit.

For me I like tinkering with tech. Always have. As a programmer the first I thought when hearing about smart watches is how can I come up with a way to interface the watch with my phone or computer. When the Pebble hit Kickstarter I was pledged right away even though I did not have a supported phone.

Since then I wear the watch while programming at my corporate job and get meeting notifications and Twitter alerts while I am doing my job creating intranet apps for my company. MIcrosoft announces something, boom I get the notification as soon as it hits Twitter. I am not a baseball fan but if I were I could just follow my team on Twitter and get updates as the game was going on while I am working.

I think for most people smart watches are like computers, smart phones and tablets before them. Until you have a specific use for them, they are not interesting. Unless you are a tech fan like myself.....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
When I first saw this gen (thinking of the Pebble), I was like no way, no use for it at all. Then after thinking about it more and more (CES made me really look over them more), I MIGHT be able to use one. Thinking about not having to pull my phone out to see texts, incoming emails, appointments, and gee wiz, even the current time (yea, I pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time and I do it a lot). It would be sweet if I could use voice commands with it too (like reply to texts, start a call over speaker, etc), EVEN more reason for one....

So, as of now, I MIGHT see a use for it, but, all the current models are bulky, ugly or do not work with Windows Phone...

As the OP, I had the same thoughts at one point, but, I can see the uses for it, and I could see why I could use one....but, for me, they still are too ugly...

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I feel the same way, the screen is just too small to see anything, needs to recharge battery. Usually i have some precautions with gadgets hype.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think they could be very useful. But right now they are all to ugly and chunky. I can see a sleek, smooth screen smart watch as being a nice compliment to a smartphone.

I hope Microsoft pursues this ASAP. A Metro watch would be gorgeous!!

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I do frequently hear people say they think smart watches are ugly and I can see that if you are viewing them as jewelry like a nice traditional gold watch. I do not think of smart watches as jewelry at all. I view them as a convenient extension of my phones screen. We are still at the beginning of the smart watch development cycle. I think they will get better with time.

We are already seeing different companies come out with different styles. The new Pebble Steel looks nicer than the first gen. But when it comes to the Samsung Gear, Sony Smartwatch or even the red and orange Pebbles I would have to agree. (I do like the look of the black Pebble even though that is a subjective thing.)

I think any smart watch looks better than Google glass. That is where I draw the line....

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I do frequently hear people say they think smart watches are ugly and I can see that if you are viewing them as jewelry like a nice traditional gold watch. I do not think of smart watches as jewelry at all. I view them as a convenient extension of my phones screen. We are still at the beginning of the smart watch development cycle. I think they will get better with time.

We are already seeing different companies come out with different styles. The new Pebble Steel looks nicer than the first gen. But when it comes to the Samsung Gear, Sony Smartwatch or even the red and orange Pebbles I would have to agree. (I do like the look of the black Pebble even though that is a subjective thing.)

I think any smart watch looks better than Google glass. That is where I draw the line....

I agree that a smartwatch doesn't need to look like a classic Rolex or Tag. It should just be a sleek designer looking watch. But the current smartwatches still look like big chunky kids toy watches.

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Im very interested in owning a smartwatch. The Samsung watch is awesome imo and i wish we wp users had something similar. I hope Nokia come up with something sleek like their phones.

The pebble looks ok but i want something that works fully with wp.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought I would have no use for a smartwatch however after doing some research I really fancy getting one it will be so useful for quickly looking at the time or messages!

I think I will wait for the SONY smartwatch 3rd gen to come out then I will consider purchasing such a device.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I want a pebble steel soo badly!!! If we get full integration with Windows Phone I would buy immediately! I'm not really sure how well these third party apps are working for it ...

Pepe D Vegas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I think a smart watch makes sense if you have a specific use for it or you like to tinker with new tech. Many people would like to see incoming notifications but getting the phone out is not a convient or available option.

For instance where my wife works they are not allowed to have their phone out on their desks. If she wants to know who sent the text that just came in she can just glance at her watch. If she wants to listen to music with her earbuds she can control it from the watch. There are probably many jobs where you may need to use both hands, like on an assembly line, where having the ability to glance at your watch to see a text or subject of an email would be a great benefit.

For me I like tinkering with tech. Always have. As a programmer the first I thought when hearing about smart watches is how can I come up with a way to interface the watch with my phone or computer. When the Pebble hit Kickstarter I was pledged right away even though I did not have a supported phone.

Since then I wear the watch while programming at my corporate job and get meeting notifications and Twitter alerts while I am doing my job creating intranet apps for my company. MIcrosoft announces something, boom I get the notification as soon as it hits Twitter. I am not a baseball fan but if I were I could just follow my team on Twitter and get updates as the game was going on while I am working.

I think for most people smart watches are like computers, smart phones and tablets before them. Until you have a specific use for them, they are not interesting. Unless you are a tech fan like myself.....

You bring up some nice and valid points, however I can see smart watches being deemed a distraction at work and not allowed as well. Using it to trigger music isn't a bad idea however something I still feel isn't a hassle to trigger on the phone. I guess having a 4.5 inch screen ruins any and all needs for something as small as a smart watch.

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You would think Razer would make it compatible with WP8 since all their products are made for windows pc. I wanted one after seeing it as well.

I think the issue currently is that it's a BT 4.0 LE device and that technically isn't widespread with WP devices. With the latest Black update though, that may change. Which is what I am hoping.

Jorlon

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I think the issue currently is that it's a BT 4.0 LE device and that technically isn't widespread with WP devices. With the latest Black update though, that may change. Which is what I am hoping.

Lets hope cause that Nabu was sleek looking hoping the price is decent.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Kreyos is pushed back to April now. That's disappointing.

Which smartwatches are people looking at? I still like the Kreyos, but at this point, wonder if it is vaporware more than anything else?

Pebble seems nice in theory. Agent is down right ugly. Razer Nabu looks nice, but no support for WP8.

What else? Seems choices are pretty limited for our environment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit