Surface Duo is on salefor over 50% off!

06-26-2017 07:54 PM
189 ... 5678
tools
    I bought the Samsung Gear Fit and paired it with my Note 4. I have tried to pair with my Windows Mobile but no luck. Waiting for the time to buy a Band when it is available in my country.
    01-02-2016 04:34 AM
    Need this
    01-02-2016 04:35 AM
    Hi all,
    I bought a used smartwatch off Ebay, the CNPGD S12, just to play with ($10.50).
    It actually works well with my Nokia 1520.
    Almost every major function worked; music played through the phone's speaker, the BT connection was fine unless I wandered more than 30-40 feet away.
    Netflix played the video on my 1520 while the watch played the audio (haven't figured out that one yet).
    I could call my wife's phone through my watch, and receive calls.

Call me pleasantly surprised. Not a top tier watch by any means, but definitely functional with WP8.1.
    Interesting, it's funny, if you ever look over these Chinese sites with smart watches (I wander a few sites time to time, I gota see all the cool crap coming out of China.). They have every feature you can think of under the sun, even more than most of us can think of and most of them are under $150 (average about $40-80). Features and quality that would even blow away a "iWatch" for like $65-80....(and they look the same as the iWatch)

and they change $500 for a mid line iWatch.... Dam Apple is really profiting from these things :-\

Would love to see a really slick looking one that fully worked with Windows Phone but, I guess that is a dream...
    01-03-2016 04:56 PM
    Interesting, it's funny, if you ever look over these Chinese sites with smart watches (I wander a few sites time to time, I gota see all the cool crap coming out of China.). They have every feature you can think of under the sun, even more than most of us can think of and most of them are under $150 (average about $40-80). Features and quality that would even blow away a "iWatch" for like $65-80....(and they look the same as the iWatch)

and they change $500 for a mid line iWatch.... Dam Apple is really profiting from these things :-\

Would love to see a really slick looking one that fully worked with Windows Phone but, I guess that is a dream...
    While I won't argue that profit is definitely being made on wearables, I have picked up a few of these Chinese wearables myself as the cost is relatively low. Sadly, my experience with them has been less than favorable in most cases. They don't stay connected to your phone (even "supported" Android phones) and disconnect all the time, creating a hassle of having to constantly check and "babysit" the watch to see if it's connected and working. The software used to control the wearable is often quite horrible and full of bugs/issues and rarely, if ever, updated 😢 . In short, they just don't work well most of the time. They are cheap, but probably not worth the time, effort, and frustration for most consumers.
    01-04-2016 09:56 AM
    While I won't argue that profit is definitely being made on wearables, I have picked up a few of these Chinese wearables myself as the cost is relatively low. Sadly, my experience with them has been less than favorable in most cases. They don't stay connected to your phone (even "supported" Android phones) and disconnect all the time, creating a hassle of having to constantly check and "babysit" the watch to see if it's connected and working. The software used to control the wearable is often quite horrible and full of bugs/issues and rarely, if ever, updated �� . In short, they just don't work well most of the time. They are cheap, but probably not worth the time, effort, and frustration for most consumers.
    I hear ya... You do get what you pay for, I totally believe that.

Would love to hear models or links to ones you tried with a small review on them with what features they support. There really is not too much for Windows Phone and although these might be lower quality, it IS an option.
    Penguwin likes this.
    01-04-2016 07:28 PM
    Hello my fellow Windows Phone enthusiasts :

I have been stalking this thread for a long time with hopes of reading a post on someone who has finally managed to get their hands on a windows mobile compatible smartwatch. It has been quiet disappointing thus far, but I have faith that someday it will happen! Upon searching online I stumbled on the OXY Smartwatch I saw posted on Indiegogo, maybe someone with more posts can share the link. I know we have seen more than a few of these failed launches, but this one looks promising .

So what do you think? Pretty sweet? Hopefully they get to the fulfilment stages I wouldn't mind waiting a few more months to see this come to fruition!
    I am not affiliated with this company at all but thought it might be something worth watching.
    Penguwin likes this.
    01-04-2016 08:56 PM
    Upon searching online I stumbled on the OXY Smartwatch I saw posted on Indiegogo, maybe someone with more posts can share the link. I know we have seen more than a few of these failed launches, but this one looks promising .

So what do you think? Pretty sweet? Hopefully they get to the fulfilment stages I wouldn't mind waiting a few more months to see this come to fruition!
    I am not affiliated with this company at all but thought it might be something worth watching.
    A quick Google search for "Oxy smartwatch" will find this one for those interested. I would love to stay optimistic on this one, but I have seen waaaay too many crowdfunded smart wearables go under and fail miserably. Even if their ideas / tech are perfect, I kinda doubt they will raise $225,000 in the remaining 12 days 😕 .

Thanks for bringing that one to our attention tho.
    skstrials likes this.
    01-05-2016 12:09 AM
    I hear ya... You do get what you pay for, I totally believe that.

Would love to hear models or links to ones you tried with a small review on them with what features they support. There really is not too much for Windows Phone and although these might be lower quality, it IS an option.
    Off the top of my head, I have a "U8" Chinese smartwatch (this watch or a variant of it are all over eBay and the web for super cheap), a "FlyShark" smartwatch, and I'm sure a few others I can't recall at the moment. None of these work very well... even on Android, which is by far the most compatible mobile OS fit smartwatches (err, maybe I should say there are more smartwatches available for Android than any other mobile OS to my knowledge).

I'll try to get to posting some pictures and a more in-depth review on each one soon for ya 😁 .
    DavidinCT likes this.
    01-05-2016 12:18 AM
    How is the "U8" behaving? Saw that it trends arround 10-15$ now.
    01-11-2016 01:00 PM
    How is the "U8" behaving? Saw that it trends arround 10-15$ now.
    $10-15 ? Crap for that price I'll even try it myself...

Hmmm.... Ebay, less than $8 for it (on some auctions), tempted just to check it out, any good ?
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 01-11-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    01-11-2016 09:16 PM
    Auctions go up to 20-30. The ideea is if that is the watch he was talking about because noone said that it is compatible with WP and it seems a bit too cheap.
    01-12-2016 10:50 AM
    $10-15 ? Crap for that price I'll even try it myself...

Hmmm.... Ebay, less than $8 for it (on some auctions), tempted just to check it out, any good ?
    Auctions go up to 20-30. The ideea is if that is the watch he was talking about because noone said that it is compatible with WP and it seems a bit too cheap.
    Sadly, its not great (if I'm honest)... It doesn't do much on Windows Phone (Read: it is definitely NOT compatible with Windows Phone!) and is quirky / glitchy even on Android. If your only phone is a Windows Phone, I wouldn't even bother IMO 😢 .

If your into hacking and modding tho, there are some mods for the different U8 models on XDA and around the web. Modder beware tho, bricking is possible... just a FYI.

I think I paid around $20 bucks for mine (also on eBay), so for the price you really can't complain much. However, just know what your getting into first... This is no MS Band or Android Wear kind of device. :)

Pic of my U8 on the left and FlyShark on right... Neither do anything on Windows Phone tho (targeted towards Android users). Just brought them up as examples of the cheapy Chinese stuff you'll typically find on eBay.
    01-13-2016 02:00 AM
    Hi, i'm travel a lot on bike and I buy a Garmin vivoactive. When he arrive I will try to write some post about his behaviour on win10m. greetings from Poland
    Last edited by Robert Jurczyk; 01-15-2016 at 04:41 AM.
    01-15-2016 01:01 AM
    Just to add here, I now have a Razer Nabu AND Nabu X. Razer has official apps in the Windows Phone Store, however I cannot get either of these wearables to connect to my Lumia 635 running WP 8.1 (Cyan).

The Nabu actually forcibly reboots the phone every time I try to connect it and the Nabu X just spins away trying to connect, but never does 😢 . Perhaps WP 10 would do a better job connecting or maybe it's just my Lumia 😕 not sure.
    01-19-2016 02:31 AM
    Hi all

I also have a Garmin Vivoactive on order to use with my Nokia Lumia 1520. Could any existing Garmin Connect Mobile users post what is new, if anything, in today's update to the app?

Thanks and God bless

Andrew
    01-22-2016 04:56 PM
    Hi all

My Garmin Vivoactive came yesterday. I had some problems to begin with around connectivity with my Nokia Lumia 1520 and with apps on the watch which kept stopping working but I then reset the device to factory defaults and it has been working well since then. I think the problem may have been caused by either disconnecting the watch from my laptop during a sync or changing the settings of a watch face when it is the currently selected one. I have also had problems with the music control app in that when I pause the music with it, the music will then start again about 30 seconds later.

Overall I like the device. I would like to have seen a higher resolution screen, a wider range of notifications being sent to it from my phone and a slightly better calendar app. At present, you only see today's events and then reminders when they come through on the phone. I think even seeing tomorrow's appointments would be a big improvement.

I like the fact that you can dismiss notifications on the watch and that this dismisses them on the phone.

I haven't yet been able to really test it as a fitness tracker but I have been getting into hitting a steps target so I can see how it is built around this.

God bless

Andrew
    01-24-2016 11:04 AM
    Has anyone tried a Martian Notifier watch?
    01-24-2016 04:20 PM
    Hi all

I need to issue a correction to my post above about the Garmin vívoactive. You can actually configure any and all notifications to be sent from the phone to the watch via the Smart Notifications section of the Garmin Connect app on the phone which works very well.

On the negative side, my watch crashed this morning and wiped all the fitness data on it. I only lost my sleep data for the night but if that happens regularly, it would be pretty annoying it you start to loose recorded activity data.

Also, I have found out that watch apps that require an internet connection through the phone do not work with Windows 10 or Windows 10 Mobile. This is quite annoying as there are some good apps so I have raised it as a support ticket with Garmin.

God bless

Andrew
    Ben Levi Giron likes this.
    01-25-2016 11:53 AM
    Do you have a newest firmware on Garmin watch? U can apply fw by an app from pc☺
    01-25-2016 11:57 AM
    Hi Robert

It appears I do not. I have been on firmware version 3.30. The firmware update wasn't picked up by the app on Windows 10 Mobile, nor Garmin Express on the PC but I connected the watch to an old Samsung Note I had in the house (my wife's old phone) and it's now sending the update to the watch.

For some reason it's taking absolutely ages and now I just want to go to bed! I'll report back when I get a chance.

Thanks for the heads up.

God bless

Andrew
    01-25-2016 05:58 PM
    Eventually updated the watch to firmware 3.40 but third party apps still can't connect to the internet through my phone.
    01-25-2016 06:45 PM
    has anyone tested a watch with Win10 phone? Specifically Lumia 950 xl? i am not sure if the vivoactive will ? or should i go fitbit blaze..
    those seem to be the only choices. TIA
    01-27-2016 02:28 PM
    has anyone tested a watch with Win10 phone? Specifically Lumia 950 xl? i am not sure if the vivoactive will ? or should i go fitbit blaze..
    those seem to be the only choices. TIA
    Hi

According to the Fitbit website, the Fitbit Blaze does not support notifications being sent to the watch with Windows Phone. It suggests the watch can only really be used as a fitness tracker.

Obviously it's not available until 15th March and by then Windows 10 Mobile will have already been released so it's possible that by then Fitbit will have written a Windows 10 app that does support notifications.

Also, the Garmin Vívoactive has built in GPS but no heart rate monitor (you can connect an ANT+ monitor) but the Fitbit Blaze gas a heart rate monitor but needs to be connected to your phone to collect GPS data.

In my mind the Vívoactive is the slightly more complete solution. The only problem at the moment is that Garmin watch apps that need an internet connection from your phone only work with Android and iOS devices and we don't know if this is because Garmin are yet to implement this functionality or there is a limitation in the W10M APIs.
    01-29-2016 03:44 AM
    I use my vivoactive with lumia1520 and win10m with app Garmin connect. Only issue is when i turn off BT on lumia then I can't reconnect again. Only reset the phone helps
    01-29-2016 03:48 AM
    Thank you all, in the end I went with the band 2!! It's pretty neat!!
    02-02-2016 04:28 AM
189 ... 5678