Smartwatches that are compatible with Windows Phone?

Andrei C

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Auctions go up to 20-30. The ideea is if that is the watch he was talking about because noone said that it is compatible with WP and it seems a bit too cheap.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
$10-15 ? Crap for that price I'll even try it myself...

Hmmm.... Ebay, less than $8 for it (on some auctions), tempted just to check it out, any good ?

Auctions go up to 20-30. The ideea is if that is the watch he was talking about because noone said that it is compatible with WP and it seems a bit too cheap.

Sadly, its not great (if I'm honest)... It doesn't do much on Windows Phone (Read: it is definitely NOT compatible with Windows Phone!) and is quirky / glitchy even on Android. If your only phone is a Windows Phone, I wouldn't even bother IMO 😢 .

If your into hacking and modding tho, there are some mods for the different U8 models on XDA and around the web. Modder beware tho, bricking is possible... just a FYI.

I think I paid around $20 bucks for mine (also on eBay), so for the price you really can't complain much. However, just know what your getting into first... This is no MS Band or Android Wear kind of device. :)

Pic of my U8 on the left and FlyShark on right... Neither do anything on Windows Phone tho (targeted towards Android users). Just brought them up as examples of the cheapy Chinese stuff you'll typically find on eBay.
f9a558762f5489fef8b88cee14462790.jpg

Robert Jurczyk

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i'm travel a lot on bike and I buy a Garmin vivoactive. When he arrive I will try to write some post about his behaviour on win10m. greetings from Poland

Last edited:

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Just to add here, I now have a Razer Nabu AND Nabu X. Razer has official apps in the Windows Phone Store, however I cannot get either of these wearables to connect to my Lumia 635 running WP 8.1 (Cyan).

The Nabu actually forcibly reboots the phone every time I try to connect it and the Nabu X just spins away trying to connect, but never does 😢 . Perhaps WP 10 would do a better job connecting or maybe it's just my Lumia 😕 not sure.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I also have a Garmin Vivoactive on order to use with my Nokia Lumia 1520. Could any existing Garmin Connect Mobile users post what is new, if anything, in today's update to the app?

Thanks and God bless

Andrew

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

My Garmin Vivoactive came yesterday. I had some problems to begin with around connectivity with my Nokia Lumia 1520 and with apps on the watch which kept stopping working but I then reset the device to factory defaults and it has been working well since then. I think the problem may have been caused by either disconnecting the watch from my laptop during a sync or changing the settings of a watch face when it is the currently selected one. I have also had problems with the music control app in that when I pause the music with it, the music will then start again about 30 seconds later.

Overall I like the device. I would like to have seen a higher resolution screen, a wider range of notifications being sent to it from my phone and a slightly better calendar app. At present, you only see today's events and then reminders when they come through on the phone. I think even seeing tomorrow's appointments would be a big improvement.

I like the fact that you can dismiss notifications on the watch and that this dismisses them on the phone.

I haven't yet been able to really test it as a fitness tracker but I have been getting into hitting a steps target so I can see how it is built around this.

God bless

Andrew

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I need to issue a correction to my post above about the Garmin v?voactive. You can actually configure any and all notifications to be sent from the phone to the watch via the Smart Notifications section of the Garmin Connect app on the phone which works very well.

On the negative side, my watch crashed this morning and wiped all the fitness data on it. I only lost my sleep data for the night but if that happens regularly, it would be pretty annoying it you start to loose recorded activity data.

Also, I have found out that watch apps that require an internet connection through the phone do not work with Windows 10 or Windows 10 Mobile. This is quite annoying as there are some good apps so I have raised it as a support ticket with Garmin.

God bless

Andrew

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Robert

It appears I do not. I have been on firmware version 3.30. The firmware update wasn't picked up by the app on Windows 10 Mobile, nor Garmin Express on the PC but I connected the watch to an old Samsung Note I had in the house (my wife's old phone) and it's now sending the update to the watch.

For some reason it's taking absolutely ages and now I just want to go to bed! I'll report back when I get a chance.

Thanks for the heads up.

God bless

Andrew

ohrigeeta

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
has anyone tested a watch with Win10 phone? Specifically Lumia 950 xl? i am not sure if the vivoactive will ? or should i go fitbit blaze..
those seem to be the only choices. TIA

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
has anyone tested a watch with Win10 phone? Specifically Lumia 950 xl? i am not sure if the vivoactive will ? or should i go fitbit blaze..
those seem to be the only choices. TIA

Hi

According to the Fitbit website, the Fitbit Blaze does not support notifications being sent to the watch with Windows Phone. It suggests the watch can only really be used as a fitness tracker.

Obviously it's not available until 15th March and by then Windows 10 Mobile will have already been released so it's possible that by then Fitbit will have written a Windows 10 app that does support notifications.

Also, the Garmin V?voactive has built in GPS but no heart rate monitor (you can connect an ANT+ monitor) but the Fitbit Blaze gas a heart rate monitor but needs to be connected to your phone to collect GPS data.

In my mind the V?voactive is the slightly more complete solution. The only problem at the moment is that Garmin watch apps that need an internet connection from your phone only work with Android and iOS devices and we don't know if this is because Garmin are yet to implement this functionality or there is a limitation in the W10M APIs.

Robert Jurczyk

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I use my vivoactive with lumia1520 and win10m with app Garmin connect. Only issue is when i turn off BT on lumia then I can't reconnect again. Only reset the phone helps

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
i got an Xiaomi Mi Band and is fine i got the app bind mi band pro but oddly do not monitored my sleep patterns when i synced also when was at night looked like sometimes gets disconnected from the Bluetooth i have an Lumia 640XL and well just have 1 day the band but the rest like my steps are synced right got i could assume is the firmware update can be responsible but i do not know of anyway the alarms and etc works good , so can not figure out what is wrong

zombiegator

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Even though it was discussed a little earlier in the thread I thought that I would give my input on the "U8" smartwatches. I bought one on amazon for $10.50 and I just received it today. So far after hooking it up with my Lumia 950 I would say its not bad for a $10 smartwatch. It does sync your address book but everytime I try to call someone from the address book it just says failed (like it failed to load that contacts phone number). I can still use the dial pad to talk to someone and I can make calls from my recent and missed calls list as it syncs those over as well. As far as the music goes whenever I play something on groove music I hear it through my phone but can pause and play it through my watch. I think the only thing this does ok is making and receiving phone calls but for $10 I couldn't really expect much more than that, which is fine with me. It also has a very strong vibration motor so you can definitely feel when someone is calling. I would recommend this only because it was $10 other than that don't expect much... like I said $10. If you want me to post pictures I can!

ohrigeeta

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Even though it was discussed a little earlier in the thread I thought that I would give my input on the "U8" smartwatches. I bought one on amazon for $10.50 and I just received it today. So far after hooking it up with my Lumia 950 I would say its not bad for a $10 smartwatch. It does sync your address book but everytime I try to call someone from the address book it just says failed (like it failed to load that contacts phone number). I can still use the dial pad to talk to someone and I can make calls from my recent and missed calls list as it syncs those over as well. As far as the music goes whenever I play something on groove music I hear it through my phone but can pause and play it through my watch. I think the only thing this does ok is making and receiving phone calls but for $10 I couldn't really expect much more than that, which is fine with me. It also has a very strong vibration motor so you can definitely feel when someone is calling. I would recommend this only because it was $10 other than that don't expect much... like I said $10. If you want me to post pictures I can!

Sounds like it doesn't have much functionality then..if the calls fail,really you can't be listening to just music..does it track any health data? What do you use it for?

zombiegator

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it doesn't have much functionality then..if the calls fail,really you can't be listening to just music..does it track any health data? What do you use it for?
The calls themselves don't fail it's just trying to dial a contact by going through the phonebook. If I was to dial their number on the dial pad or receive a call those come in just fine, they will stay connected to the device. It does have the ability to track your steps once you set your height and pace and that can run in the background so it's always keeping track, but there are not alot of things. I mainly use it to reject calls while I'm in school so I can see who's calling without having to cause a scene looking for my phone. Also an interesting note is that if you set Cortana to read text messages aloud she will read them through the watch, but that would be a little annoying to everyone around me, lol

ogmackplrcool

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I really want to go back to a Windows phone device, but lack of flagship phones on tmo and no compelling smart watches are deal breakers. I can't live without my g watch anymore. I would love a surface watch and surface phone to go along with my sp4 :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12