NO 24-hour heart rate monitoring on the Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

1. Its PCWorld, these guys will do anything to slam on Microsoft. ANYTHING. The fact that you even remotely trust them as a source is laughable at best.

2. Microsoft Band was kept heavily under secret and was not being sold for the device, but for the Microsoft Health features. This Fitbit deal would have been made at least months before the announcement which was way before they announced the Band. If they had made a deal with a third party like this Fitbit, all that secrecy would have been blown.

3. They aren't in the market to sell a bunch of these. Just using it to pitch the Microsoft Health technology...

http://www.windowscentral.com/why-microsoft-band-short-supply

You are so desperate now it's actually getting pretty sad.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
PJ, it's already been established
a) how many times the band takes a reading.
b) that it's not the device for you because you're looking for something that takes a reading every second (which by your definition of the word technically still isn't continuous).

I'm now struggling to understand why you are continuously (see what I did there?) bashing the band for the sake of bashing it. Return the device and purchase one that better suits your needs.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Please correct my thinking here, but there has to be more than the "data points per hour" comparison being fixated on. It seems that number is just abstracted to convey the quantity of data collected, but is not very useful as an indicator of actually sampling heart rate in real time.

If that was the case, the FitBit Surge "720 data points per hour" provided by pj737 averages to a recording every 5 seconds. But its the "what" that is recorded that is the important information.

Is it a count of heartbeats measured over that span?
Is it just a binary heartbeat present yes/no at the moment of measurement?

It's too late and I don't have the time to invest in researching, but simply comparing the rate of recording data points - without also knowing what a data point is - isn't a terribly useful comparison in and of itself.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Please correct my thinking here, but there has to be more than the "data points per hour" comparison being fixated on. It seems that number is just abstracted to convey the quantity of data collected, but is not very useful as an indicator of actually sampling heart rate in real time.

If that was the case, the FitBit Surge "720 data points per hour" provided by pj737 averages to a recording every 5 seconds. But its the "what" that is recorded that is the important information.

Is it a count of heartbeats measured over that span?
Is it just a binary heartbeat present yes/no at the moment of measurement?

It's too late and I don't have the time to invest in researching, but simply comparing the rate of recording data points - without also knowing what a data point is - isn't a terribly useful comparison in and of itself.

It's a matter of you need. 99.999999% of people don't need to record their HR every second they are sitting on the couch or at their desk.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
And that's what I was rhetorically questioning - his using an abstracted rate value as a proxy for the quality of the data rather than using the data itself. Which isn't even available for the Surge yet....

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Facts -

Fitbit Surge provides 720 HR data points per hour for 5 days straight
Basis Peak provides 3,600 HR data points per hour for 4 days straight
Microsoft Band provides 6 HR data points per hour for 2 days straight.

1. I'm still waiting for you to post your 12-minute video to prove that your devices don't turn on the green light every ten minutes. Or are you finally prepared to admit that you were just making up the whole "once per hour" thing, and that you were lying when you claimed that you had tested your devices to confirm they only come on once per hour? At least looking at the quote I've included above, it's clear you realize you were wrong. Now it's time for you to come forward with the video or admit that you were lying. Come on, PJ, put up or shut up.

2. As for your claim that MS Band provides only "6 HR data points per hour," there you go again spewing facts out of your ear that just aren't true. While the MS Band only performs heartrate monitoring 6 times every hour, it does not take only one data point each time it turns on. Rather, when it turns on, it stays on for an entire minute, and we have every reason to believe it takes many data points during that time frame. I haven't timed mine, but it appears to re-evaluate the heart rate at least once per second. I know that because the heart rate shown on the screen changes about once per second, maybe even a little more than that. Which would mean that during the one minute it's on, it takes at least 60 data points. And since it comes on once every ten minutes, that's 360 data points per hour. Not 6.

So, once again, you are embarrassing yourself by making up facts that everyone here knows to be false. You should really stop and cut your losses.

pj737

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
1. I'm still waiting for you to post your 12-minute video to prove that your devices don't turn on the green light every ten minutes. Or are you finally prepared to admit that you were just making up the whole "once per hour" thing, and that you were lying when you claimed that you had tested your devices to confirm they only come on once per hour? At least looking at the quote I've included above, it's clear you realize you were wrong. Now it's time for you to come forward with the video or admit that you were lying. Come on, PJ, put up or shut up.

2. As for your claim that MS Band provides only "6 HR data points per hour," there you go again spewing facts out of your ear that just aren't true. While the MS Band only performs heartrate monitoring 6 times every hour, it does not take only one data point each time it turns on. Rather, when it turns on, it stays on for an entire minute, and we have every reason to believe it takes many data points during that time frame. I haven't timed mine, but it appears to re-evaluate the heart rate at least once per second. I know that because the heart rate shown on the screen changes about once per second, maybe even a little more than that. Which would mean that during the one minute it's on, it takes at least 60 data points. And since it comes on once every ten minutes, that's 360 data points per hour. Not 6.

So, once again, you are embarrassing yourself by making up facts that everyone here knows to be false. You should really stop and cut your losses.

What is the maximum video size I can upload to this forum? I have Note 4 and even on the lowest setting, the recording size @ 12 mins is significant. If I can upload it here I'd be happy to show everyone.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What is the maximum video size I can upload to this forum? I have Note 4 and even on the lowest setting, the recording size @ 12 mins is significant. If I can upload it here I'd be happy to show everyone.

There's these things called OneDrive, DropBox, iCloud, Google Drive, all of the above.

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

I don't think he read your second point lol...

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
More data points are not just useful for workouts, but for early monitoring / prevention. Thought their Health platform was for more than just workouts .. More to health than working out right? Why else have these other sensors?

Bought one to test the device, was hoping to purchase one for a relative who is having heart concerns.

Maybe the platform and device will grow smarter about one's needs and allocate them. No idea

Not entirely disappointed I guess.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Facts -

Fitbit Surge provides 720 HR data points per hour for 5 days straight
Basis Peak provides 3,600 HR data points per hour for 4 days straight
Microsoft Band provides 6 HR data points per hour for 2 days straight

Of course the engineers at both Fitbit and Basis (i.e. Intel) must be complete morons, right? I mean why would they need such a high HR sampling rate because all it does is kill the battery and serve no real value to the user, right? Look at those battery stats. The HRM on the Peak and Surge must be killing their batteries... that's why they last 2-3X longer than the Band's? LOL

The Band is a poorly designed fitness tracker with laughable heart rate accuracy, gimmicky "24-hour" HR monitoring, abysmal battery life all in a bulky, uncomfortable easy-to-scratch and unattractive product. In fact it's so bad, Microsoft doesn't even want to bundle it with their own phones - they're using the Fitbit instead. What does that tell you?

Check out all the other threads destroying the accuracy of the Band's HRM. And sorry, despite what you think, I didn't start those threads. There are many others out there that share my sentiment.

Remember, no personal attacks. Keep it clean. Just stating the facts.

Can you test the Band on work-out mode? I am just curious as Daniel's article says its always on during this activity. Can you and the Band last or past the 48 hours as advertised?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
More data points are not just useful for workouts, but for early monitoring / prevention. Thought their Health platform was for more than just workouts .. More to health than working out right? Why else have these other sensors?

Bought one to test the device, was hoping to purchase one for a relative who is having heart concerns.

Maybe the platform and device will grow smarter about one's needs and allocate them. No idea

You should read the wpcentral post pertaining to this. It has actual information and asnwers from Microsoft about the function, how often ots on I different modes, and purpose for the choices.

elyl

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Jeez, if your relative has heart problems then they require a medical monitoring device, not a Microsoft Band, not a Fitbit or any other consumer product.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Moderately bizarre thread. I take a number of points from this...

A. The Band seems more than adequate for most fitness junkies with multiple sensors
B. Its more than just a fitness device although that does seem its primary purpose
C. Its not everyone's bag
D. This thread is well and truly done and probably should just close as now its he says she says.

jeres88

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My point is simple. the device is a very good one but the advertisement is clearly deceptive. Love MS but there is no reason to mislead us

The ad is not deceptive. I do not feel that I was deceived at all. Anyone who has even the most basic understanding of how electronic devices work could have told you that for something to be continuous (which they didn't say in their ad) in an electronic world it really means a series of data points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss