Own or buying the MSFT Band outside of USA

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi to everyone,
I am from Spain, and I got the Band. Everything seems to work fine, except Skype notifications which don't show in my band...

For everything to work I had to set my phone language to English and the format region to united states.
Having the region Spain or united states doesn't makes any difference but Cortana and store apps.

My phone is a 930 with Cyan and update 1, I am not in DP.

Is anyone else having this problem or does someone know how to solve it, thanks!

Currently apart from supported apps, only apps with toast notifications work. Hope MS adds this in a future update.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
The reason it won't work is because concierge services generally require a 24 hour period to place your order and won't order at the exact time you ask them to. Judging by what I see, it won't last that long. This is exactly why I couldn't get mine and finally had to get one off eBay at a premium.

That's weird. YouShop (which is run by NZ Post), seems to allow you to ship something to the address, and then you pay when the package arrives and it gets sent off. Why would they need to know 24 hours in advance? Shipping cost is calculated when the package gets to the warehouse for exportation...

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How will you pay for the band, I ask?

By concierge services, I meant services which buy the items for you using their own payment.

Buenri

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

But if I am not mistaken, Skype has toast notifications, and some people claimed that they receive Skype notifications in their Band...
So I still can't understand why it isn't working with my band and phone.

However the rest of the notifications from other apps work as they should.

I guess no one can explain how to solve it.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
How will you pay for the band, I ask?

By concierge services, I meant services which buy the items for you using their own payment.

Oh, I'm using my PayPal. And a shipping forwarder. They are separate, except due to stupid store errors when I tried to place the order I couldn't order a medium. Grr.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Looks like i will have more time to sort a forwarder to the UK, as just missed out on ordering.............kinda hope a UK release is announced before the next joke offering!!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
PayPal still won't work, if the billing address for your paypal credit card is not in the US. That I'd what I had been trying to say.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
PayPal still won't work, if the billing address for your paypal credit card is not in the US. That I'd what I had been trying to say.

I don't have a PayPal credit card. I'm using a Paypal account, with my NZ VISA card on it. And I (accidentally) bought a $5 Surface Pen Loop to see if it would go through, and it did. The PayPal billing address changed to match my shipping address. Went through perfectly. Dunno what you're on about :p

lostlogik

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a PayPal credit card. I'm using a Paypal account, with my NZ VISA card on it. And I (accidentally) bought a $5 Surface Pen Loop to see if it would go through, and it did. The PayPal billing address changed to match my shipping address. Went through perfectly. Dunno what you're on about :p
I too am surprised this worked as the PayPal account is non-US registered. Even though you changed the billing address, this hasn't, (or has it), been verified by PayPal. I tried just the same thing, switching my billing address to my US delivery address but PayPal blocked the payment. I'm guessing for the $5 pen loop it was below a threshold.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I too am surprised this worked as the PayPal account is non-US registered. Even though you changed the billing address, this hasn't, (or has it), been verified by PayPal. I tried just the same thing, switching my billing address to my US delivery address but PayPal blocked the payment. I'm guessing for the $5 pen loop it was below a threshold.

PayPal was designed to make international payment safer and easier. I talked to the PayPal customer service and they said the billing address can change to suit the country that you're paying/buying in.

lostlogik

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
PayPal was designed to make international payment safer and easier. I talked to the PayPal customer service and they said the billing address can change to suit the country that you're paying/buying in.
Well maybe I'll have a word with them too then, as it didn't work for me.

d0m1

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

well at least it is impossible to add a foreign adress in your paypal account yourself. Just tried it and it wont let me change the country (country is set automatically matching your credit card). And that's the reason why the payment process via paypal failed in my attempt yesterday trying to buy two Microsoft Bands. I've contacted paypal support to check if they can add my us-mailforwarding address to my account..

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

That is not expected behaviour. You generally shouldn't be able to use your NZ credit card with a US billing address.

Even though Paypal supports international credit cards, your card provider shouldn't authorize your transaction with a different billing address and the Microsoft store won't allow a non-US billing address.

I think you discovered a loophole, as you can see others can't do the same thing. Too bad you couldn't get the band either way

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
That is not expected behaviour. You generally shouldn't be able to use your NZ credit card with a US billing address.

Even though Paypal supports international credit cards, your card provider shouldn't authorize your transaction with a different billing address and the Microsoft store won't allow a non-US billing address.

I think you discovered a loophole, as you can see others can't do the same thing. Too bad you couldn't get the band either way

The billing address was for the PayPal itself, not my card. Billing address on my account is in NZ. Region of the account is in NZ. PayPal acts like a virtual bank account, so it can change the billing address of the account to suit the country I'm buying in (that's what support told me). I'm new to this whole PayPal thing so idk what's going on xD

Last edited:

joora

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Enjoying my band more and more, especially now that I'm accustomed to it.

I have also solved a mystery of the two packages that came to package-forwarding service from MS. In the smapller one (yellow envelope) was the band itself and the screen protector, while in the large box (almost twice the size of the package with the Band) was the Starbucks gift card. Yep, a huge box for only a small card. Luckally, my forwarding service have the option to take photos of the contents of the package so I've avoided wasting shipping money on a package I don't need.

jariga

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I am in the UK and received my Band today - I used bigapplebuddy to purchase and ship it - they were fantastic, excellent service. I received a FedEx notification to say it would arrive at 10a.m. today, it was here at 9:58a.m.!

I changed my phone's region setting to U.S. to download the app and then back again, but otherwise the band is working brilliantly. I don't have access to every feature yet as I am waiting for the Lumia Denim update, and don't want to mess about with developer preview.

Steps record well, similar to my Fitbit, heart rate seems reasonably accurate, and calendar notifications work - still playing with other features

Red River

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I am in the UK and received my Band today - I used bigapplebuddy to purchase and ship it - they were fantastic, excellent service. I received a FedEx notification to say it would arrive at 10a.m. today, it was here at 9:58a.m.!

I changed my phone's region setting to U.S. to download the app and then back again, but otherwise the band is working brilliantly. I don't have access to every feature yet as I am waiting for the Lumia Denim update, and don't want to mess about with developer preview.

Steps record well, similar to my Fitbit, heart rate seems reasonably accurate, and calendar notifications work - still playing with other features

I'm using bigapplebuddy as well. Already have paid them on Monday, I am anxiously waiting them to get one for me. It's great to know they have done the job well.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm using bigapplebuddy as well. Already have paid them on Monday, I am anxiously waiting them to get one for me. It's great to know they have done the job well.

How much did it cost all up? Do they physically go into a store and buy it for you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6