Band User Reviews

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread is a place for you to spill your guts; tell us exactly what you love and hate about your Microsoft Band!

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So far I love everything about it.
Notifications work flawless and I am about to take the fitness features for a spin soon.
Exactly the device I was hoping for.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you expound on that? The one thing I am wary of - the band looks huge. Haven't heard too much about size and comfort. And, most of the online tech site reviews are by tiny, computer loving geeks. (**no offense to computer geeks**) :)

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Can you expound on that? The one thing I am wary of - the band looks huge. Haven't heard too much about size and comfort. And, most of the online tech site reviews are by tiny, computer loving geeks. (**no offense to computer geeks**) :)

I don't have one, but I think it looks too bulky. Other than that, it looks pretty awesome.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

I haven't worn a watch in probably 20+ years but I have no problem with the Band. Once I got used to actually having something on my wrist I forgot about it, doesn't feel heavy, good fit (medium), and even worn with the screen out works ok for me. it can be noticeable if you have close fitting dress shirts on but with the new trend for wearables doesn't look out of place, IMO.

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
​The Band only works with the latest Windows Phone Preview for Developers if you need Cortana, Facebook and Twitter notification. I have Lumia 1520 without the preview and Cortana, Facebook and Twitter wasn't available. I called MS support and was informed that minimum requirement is WP version: 8.10.14192

Last edited:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had my band for 1.5 days now. Here's my likes & dislikes:

Keep in mind I was going to get a FitBit until this came out, never owned something like this before.

Love getting emails & txt messages to my wrist...very cool!
Cortana integration is the killer app for this device
Sleep monitoring, Heart rate tracking is awesome.
Working well with my 8XT on 8.1 GDR1

Dislikes
Makes it uncomforables to type on my laptop while wearing it
Doesn't fit as well as it could. Wish there was a slight bend under the screen. (I wear it 'face up', like a watch.)
Steps are way off for me.
Here was my total steps today when it said I made my goal:​
House to garage, got in the truck.
Parking lot to desk, sat down.
1 meeting down the hall, back to desk.
Walked to the parking lot for lunch
Met goal, 6,0000 steps!​

There is no possible way there are 6,0000 steps in there...everything was very close, maybe 1-2k...maybe....

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the device...seems like a keeper!

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
​The Band only works with the latest Windows Phone Preview for Developers if you need Cortana, Facebook and Twitter notification. I have Lumia 1520 without the preview and Cortana, Facebook and Twitter wasn't available. I called MS support and was informed that minimum requirement is WP version: 8.10.14192

Thanks for that information. So is that minimum requirement WP version, the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 that is supposed to come with Lumia Denim? I don't want to install the developer preview, so I guess I'll just have to wait for that update to be officially rolled out to my 1520, which from what I've read, is supposed to happen in Q4 2014 (so by the end of the year). Or possibly get a Lumia 830 when it's released since that ships with Lumia Denim. Anyway, still waiting for my Band to ship.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I did a more complete review with photos here.

So, here is a bit more detailed review after 24 hours.

I bought the band to help get me back into hiking shape and lose weight. I am starting at ground 0 in terms of current fitness.

Regarding the ah so subjective area of comfort and style: I have been wearing a Polar watch for a few years and when I slipped off to put the band on, I don't feel like I sacrificed anything in terms of comfort. It didn't bother me at all to sleep with it on, either. I wear it on the underside of my wrist. If you are only looking at pictures of the Band, don't. Go see it. Pictures can distort the size appearance and there are so many that show a wrist and the Band without the whole person, so you don't get an actual perspective of true size. It is bigger than my Fitbit Flex, but it does feel/seem huge to me. I do hope they add the ability to change the screen orientation at some point, but it is not a huge deal to me.

What I like:
  • It works! No problems with set-up and pairing. I don't lose connectivity and HR monitoring seems to work fine for me.
  • The interface is very nice and easy to use.
  • The Cross platform- now my Android and iOS friends can join in too.
  • The clasp - unlike the Fitbit Flex, it is secure.
  • Haptic feedback and notifications. I love being able to adjust the strength of the vibration, although the default was perfect for me.
  • Customization - being able to pick your tiles is fantastic. I also like that they limit it. Any more and the endless scrolling would get annoying. I do not want sub-menus, either. MS made a big deal on the we site about "moments" and allowing maximum interaction for maximum benefit and I think they nicely hit the sweet spot. I have noticed a trend where people are starting to tire of endless notifications yet seem to have difficulty turning them off. I think somehow Microsoft recognized that and has capitalized on that. Check out the Hands Free Wedding Pledge to see more about what I mean.
  • Cortana! Isn't she grand? Ideal implementation, works great with MFP diary.
  • Partners - obviously a ton of potential here, but even just the Runkeeper and MFP integration is sweet. I love how MFP adjusts your target calorie intake as it gathers data from the Band. This is smart computing.
  • The sensors - Wow, they do a great job. I love that there is a UV sensor as I have a condition that can be exacerbated by UV light. Looking forward to how use of these sensors grows.

What could be better:
  • Optional screen orientation
  • Color choices. Yes, we ladies want a pink one or even cyan.
  • User guide! There I really a lack of information on how to use it. Windows Central videos are great, but they will string them out over time (understandably) to keep getting clicks. Lack of proper user education, I believe greatly hampered the Windows 8 rollout and has the potential to do the same here.

Wish List:
  • More partners, obviously. I would like to see some geared toward those who do. To currently engage in a healthy lifestyle but wanting to begin. Weight Watcher, Biggest Loser, Atkins, would be some for starters.
  • Some motivational elements. It needs something for goals and notification reminders for things like moving, in taking more water, going to bed in order to get enough sleep. It would be nice if there was a mood indicator to indicate how you are doing with your goals, too. Maybe Microsoft is looking to partners to provide some of what I am describing, but there really could be some elements of it onto he Band, too.
  • Windows Phone games - I think there is the potential, as we have seen with Run Rabbitt Run.
  • Here integration for turn by turn directions. Buzz my wrist before a turn instead of audio notifications. I hate having my music interrupted, yet I often need to be prompted.
  • More social - I am not sure anyone has really got it right when it comes to fitness and social. Not sure what they key is, maybe it is through some gaming.
  • Xbox integration - untapped market for adult fitness related gaming. I would love to see virtual walks (through National Parks) utilizing the data from the Band and Kinect together. There are some fitness games, but not a very wide variety.
  • Some type of app for recording food that is dedicated to restaurant information. For example, I want to be able to tell Cortana to add an Olive Garden meal or a particular Subway sandwich. Sometime it works with MFP and sometimes it doesn't.
  • More functionality for the UV sensor. When. I am outside for 15 minutes or more make a recommendation based on the UV sensor. I forget to be aware of the sun (we see so little of it in Pittsburgh) and it is easy for me to forget to put on sunscreen.
  • The health app needs hardware partners for medical devices (Halter monitors, blood pressure cuffs, diabetic equipment, home sleep apnea monitoring, etc..) I hope these are on the way because they could present a great benefit to healthcare and probably help to bring down the cost of healthcare.
  • Band color choices. I am sure this will follow once they feel they have sold enough.

Am I happy with the Band? Absolutely. I get very excited when I see the potential that Band and the Microsoft Health platform can bring to users and medical care providers. The value proposition that Microsoft is making with this device seems a little muddy to me, however. They need to clarify it for consumers, developers, and potential partners for it to have long-term success. Microsoft has a pretty good track record with security in its cloud and has always taken end user privacy more seriously than its competitors. The next year could be an exciting year for Microsoft.

Last edited:

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It is bigger than my Fitbit Flex, but it does feel/seem huge to me.

Thanks for the review. Did you mean to say "doesn't" feel/seem huge? Size has been one of my concerns with the Band. Microsoft just shipped mine today (size Small), so I'll have to wait and see. I don't have a Microsoft Store near me to be able to see it in person. I agree with you about wanting a pink one. :smile:
May I ask which phone you've paired it with and which OS version it has?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just picked one up today and spent the day with it in San Francisco. Initial impressions:
- Pairing with my Lumia 1020 was flawless - hooked right up, super fast.
- It was confusing and a little frustrating that the social media tiles and Cortana was not available right out of the box. Had to hook up to REI's WiFi in order to update my phone to the Dev Preview (which I wasn't expecting to have to do and not super comfortable doing, but curiosity about the Band won out over my aversion to beta software)
- After a full day of wear, I barely even felt it. It's super comfortable. I haven't caught it on anything or had it get in the way
- Battery was really impressive - I used it a LOT today - tweaking, resetting, playing with Cortana etc. It came out of the box at 10am w/ ~9/10 of a charge and was at ~3/4 by 7pm.
- FB Notifications are a little sketchy. I had to switch my notification type from Live Tile Only to Live Tile and Toasts (annoying - I hate toasts, but the Band wasn't picking up messages without it being on). Txt, Email, Reminder notifications all work great.
- Cortana notifications were confusing. I added it as a tile, and it started giving me news updates. I was expecting the Cortana tile to launch Cortana after tapping it. Had to look up how to even do that (it should tell you in the tile at least the first time you tap it). Once I figured it all out, Cortana works really well - seems to be just as good as the 1020 at deciphering what I'm saying (though a little slower because of the round-trip to the phone, which was expected)
- Pedometer seems to work fine - got ~7400 steps today - woot!
- Found the Health app in regard to the Band a little counter-intuitive. The Band icon didn't make sense to me at first. Band management should also be in the Options menu as text. Also found it odd that the Band only supports 12 apps. Not a huge problem now, but I could see that limitation getting really irritating after more partners release apps.

Overall, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Time will tell if I stick it out, but it's really impressive so far.

tmark86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So far I am really enjoying my Band. I have worn a Fitbit for almost 2 years now so I am pretty familiar with "fitness tracking" in so far as I have been tracking my activities, sleep and food intake. I've kind of wanted a wrist tracker for a while but had never pulled the trigger. The minute I saw all the capabilities of the Band, especially the heart rate and the fact that it worked incredibly well with WP I knew I had to get it early. I am still forming some opinions but as of now I think it is a great device. A couple of minor issues/recommendations that I have as of now:

1. I want the notifications to sync with my phone. When I dismiss notifications on my band, I want the notification to be cleared in the action center and also live tile. Not a big deal but having to clear them twice is a little annoying.
2. Would love for my phone notification settings to carry over to the band. For example, my notifications are turned off for e-mail except for the action center. My Band vibrates when I get new e-mails.
3. Would be nice to change the screen orientation depending on how it is worn. I have switched between inside and outside my wrist and would even like a "vertical" orientation for when reading my Band like a watch.
4. Add more "glance" notifications like on my L1020. There is plenty of space to the right of the date to fit 4 or so notification icons for things like text, e-mail, call or other.
5. (additional) When activating Cortana from my Band, my phone unlocks and actually goes through the Cortana motions. This can cause issues in my pocket or somewhere. Would be nice for the phone to stay locked while using the Band.

Other than those few things I am so far very, very pleased with the device. I am still comparing it to my Fitbit Ultra which seems to be more accurate recording steps but that I assume that is mostly the difference between a wrist worn device and wearing the Fitbit on my waist.

A couple of recommendations for the Microsoft Health part vs. the Band.
1. Connect with HealthVault. My fitbit and withings scale info are synced in but so far my Band/Health info is not being included.
2. Switch from a desktop program to a Windows App for Windows 8 or better yet, create a universal App with the already existing WP8.1 version
3. Add some Live Tile options for the Health App. I know that it was designed as an app for WP/iOS/Android but being able to pin the Steps or Calories or even have the Health App Live would be a nice addition. The Fitbit Tracker app by Shane Chism lets you do this for Fitbit and it would be a nice addition to the Health App

Last edited:

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
So, Nicholas, you're sharing your opinions on a review thread after having not actually done more than look at pictures of the device? Thanks for that, but maybe come back with an actual review after you at least touch and try out the device. From the commercials, I think the new Fiat is bulky, but I wouldn't post on a review thread without having at least taken one for a test drive.

bugelrex

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Be aware of a design flaw. This should never happen if you take care of your device.. but if you bend the strap backwards (either both or one oof the straps), the rubber will completely separate from the battery unit exposing some of the circuit board.

sweat will probably creep in here and break the unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss