Preorders are now LIVEfor all of the new Surface devicesfor Fall 2021

03-16-2016 02:10 PM
129 123 ...
tools
    This thread is a place for you to spill your guts; tell us exactly what you love and hate about your Microsoft Band!
    10-31-2014 01:18 PM
    So far I love everything about it.
    Notifications work flawless and I am about to take the fitness features for a spin soon.
    Exactly the device I was hoping for.
    10-31-2014 01:24 PM
    Love it. Size and comfort issues people have complained about are more or less overstated IMHO.
    10-31-2014 02:08 PM
    Can you expound on that? The one thing I am wary of - the band looks huge. Haven't heard too much about size and comfort. And, most of the online tech site reviews are by tiny, computer loving geeks. (**no offense to computer geeks**) :)
    10-31-2014 04:19 PM
    Can you expound on that? The one thing I am wary of - the band looks huge. Haven't heard too much about size and comfort. And, most of the online tech site reviews are by tiny, computer loving geeks. (**no offense to computer geeks**) :)
    I don't have one, but I think it looks too bulky. Other than that, it looks pretty awesome.
    10-31-2014 04:30 PM
    I haven't worn a watch in probably 20+ years but I have no problem with the Band. Once I got used to actually having something on my wrist I forgot about it, doesn't feel heavy, good fit (medium), and even worn with the screen out works ok for me. it can be noticeable if you have close fitting dress shirts on but with the new trend for wearables doesn't look out of place, IMO.
    Darin Hamel likes this.
    10-31-2014 05:16 PM
    I love mine.
    tiimothydadams likes this.
    10-31-2014 05:40 PM
    ​The Band only works with the latest Windows Phone Preview for Developers if you need Cortana, Facebook and Twitter notification. I have Lumia 1520 without the preview and Cortana, Facebook and Twitter wasn't available. I called MS support and was informed that minimum requirement is WP version: 8.10.14192
    Last edited by khatta; 10-31-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    10-31-2014 05:50 PM
    I've had my band for 1.5 days now. Here's my likes & dislikes:

Keep in mind I was going to get a FitBit until this came out, never owned something like this before.

Love getting emails & txt messages to my wrist...very cool!
    Cortana integration is the killer app for this device
    Sleep monitoring, Heart rate tracking is awesome.
    Working well with my 8XT on 8.1 GDR1

Dislikes
    Makes it uncomforables to type on my laptop while wearing it
    Doesn't fit as well as it could. Wish there was a slight bend under the screen. (I wear it 'face up', like a watch.)
    Steps are way off for me.
    Here was my total steps today when it said I made my goal:
    House to garage, got in the truck.
    Parking lot to desk, sat down.
    1 meeting down the hall, back to desk.
    Walked to the parking lot for lunch
    Met goal, 6,0000 steps!

There is no possible way there are 6,0000 steps in there...everything was very close, maybe 1-2k...maybe....

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the device...seems like a keeper!
    10-31-2014 07:48 PM
    I love mine.
    Good review.
    How many potatoes would you give this.

Lol couldn't resist.
    11-01-2014 01:17 AM
    Good review.
    How many potatoes would you give this.

Lol couldn't resist.
    lol 9gaggers spotted😂
    onysi likes this.
    11-01-2014 01:21 AM
    ​The Band only works with the latest Windows Phone Preview for Developers if you need Cortana, Facebook and Twitter notification. I have Lumia 1520 without the preview and Cortana, Facebook and Twitter wasn't available. I called MS support and was informed that minimum requirement is WP version: 8.10.14192
    Thanks for that information. So is that minimum requirement WP version, the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 that is supposed to come with Lumia Denim? I don't want to install the developer preview, so I guess I'll just have to wait for that update to be officially rolled out to my 1520, which from what I've read, is supposed to happen in Q4 2014 (so by the end of the year). Or possibly get a Lumia 830 when it's released since that ships with Lumia Denim. Anyway, still waiting for my Band to ship.
    11-01-2014 03:36 AM
    I did a more complete review with photos here.

So, here is a bit more detailed review after 24 hours.

I bought the band to help get me back into hiking shape and lose weight. I am starting at ground 0 in terms of current fitness.

Regarding the ah so subjective area of comfort and style: I have been wearing a Polar watch for a few years and when I slipped off to put the band on, I don't feel like I sacrificed anything in terms of comfort. It didn't bother me at all to sleep with it on, either. I wear it on the underside of my wrist. If you are only looking at pictures of the Band, don't. Go see it. Pictures can distort the size appearance and there are so many that show a wrist and the Band without the whole person, so you don't get an actual perspective of true size. It is bigger than my Fitbit Flex, but it does feel/seem huge to me. I do hope they add the ability to change the screen orientation at some point, but it is not a huge deal to me.

What I like:
    • It works! No problems with set-up and pairing. I don't lose connectivity and HR monitoring seems to work fine for me.
    • The interface is very nice and easy to use.
    • The Cross platform- now my Android and iOS friends can join in too.
    • The clasp - unlike the Fitbit Flex, it is secure.
    • Haptic feedback and notifications. I love being able to adjust the strength of the vibration, although the default was perfect for me.
    • Customization - being able to pick your tiles is fantastic. I also like that they limit it. Any more and the endless scrolling would get annoying. I do not want sub-menus, either. MS made a big deal on the we site about "moments" and allowing maximum interaction for maximum benefit and I think they nicely hit the sweet spot. I have noticed a trend where people are starting to tire of endless notifications yet seem to have difficulty turning them off. I think somehow Microsoft recognized that and has capitalized on that. Check out the Hands Free Wedding Pledge to see more about what I mean.
    • Cortana! Isn't she grand? Ideal implementation, works great with MFP diary.
    • Partners - obviously a ton of potential here, but even just the Runkeeper and MFP integration is sweet. I love how MFP adjusts your target calorie intake as it gathers data from the Band. This is smart computing.
    • The sensors - Wow, they do a great job. I love that there is a UV sensor as I have a condition that can be exacerbated by UV light. Looking forward to how use of these sensors grows.

What could be better:
    • Optional screen orientation
    • Color choices. Yes, we ladies want a pink one or even cyan.
    • User guide! There I really a lack of information on how to use it. Windows Central videos are great, but they will string them out over time (understandably) to keep getting clicks. Lack of proper user education, I believe greatly hampered the Windows 8 rollout and has the potential to do the same here.

Wish List:
    • More partners, obviously. I would like to see some geared toward those who do. To currently engage in a healthy lifestyle but wanting to begin. Weight Watcher, Biggest Loser, Atkins, would be some for starters.
    • Some motivational elements. It needs something for goals and notification reminders for things like moving, in taking more water, going to bed in order to get enough sleep. It would be nice if there was a mood indicator to indicate how you are doing with your goals, too. Maybe Microsoft is looking to partners to provide some of what I am describing, but there really could be some elements of it onto he Band, too.
    • Windows Phone games - I think there is the potential, as we have seen with Run Rabbitt Run.
    • Here integration for turn by turn directions. Buzz my wrist before a turn instead of audio notifications. I hate having my music interrupted, yet I often need to be prompted.
    • More social - I am not sure anyone has really got it right when it comes to fitness and social. Not sure what they key is, maybe it is through some gaming.
    • Xbox integration - untapped market for adult fitness related gaming. I would love to see virtual walks (through National Parks) utilizing the data from the Band and Kinect together. There are some fitness games, but not a very wide variety.
    • Some type of app for recording food that is dedicated to restaurant information. For example, I want to be able to tell Cortana to add an Olive Garden meal or a particular Subway sandwich. Sometime it works with MFP and sometimes it doesn't.
    • More functionality for the UV sensor. When. I am outside for 15 minutes or more make a recommendation based on the UV sensor. I forget to be aware of the sun (we see so little of it in Pittsburgh) and it is easy for me to forget to put on sunscreen.
    • The health app needs hardware partners for medical devices (Halter monitors, blood pressure cuffs, diabetic equipment, home sleep apnea monitoring, etc..) I hope these are on the way because they could present a great benefit to healthcare and probably help to bring down the cost of healthcare.
    • Band color choices. I am sure this will follow once they feel they have sold enough.

Am I happy with the Band? Absolutely. I get very excited when I see the potential that Band and the Microsoft Health platform can bring to users and medical care providers. The value proposition that Microsoft is making with this device seems a little muddy to me, however. They need to clarify it for consumers, developers, and potential partners for it to have long-term success. Microsoft has a pretty good track record with security in its cloud and has always taken end user privacy more seriously than its competitors. The next year could be an exciting year for Microsoft.
    Last edited by TheZuneLune; 11-01-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    11-01-2014 09:34 AM
    It is bigger than my Fitbit Flex, but it does feel/seem huge to me.
    Thanks for the review. Did you mean to say "doesn't" feel/seem huge? Size has been one of my concerns with the Band. Microsoft just shipped mine today (size Small), so I'll have to wait and see. I don't have a Microsoft Store near me to be able to see it in person. I agree with you about wanting a pink one.
    May I ask which phone you've paired it with and which OS version it has?
    11-01-2014 08:11 PM
    Correct, does not feel huge. ��

I use it with the Lumia Icon on Developer Preview.
    EBynum likes this.
    11-01-2014 09:18 PM
    Just picked one up today and spent the day with it in San Francisco. Initial impressions:
    - Pairing with my Lumia 1020 was flawless - hooked right up, super fast.
    - It was confusing and a little frustrating that the social media tiles and Cortana was not available right out of the box. Had to hook up to REI's WiFi in order to update my phone to the Dev Preview (which I wasn't expecting to have to do and not super comfortable doing, but curiosity about the Band won out over my aversion to beta software)
    - After a full day of wear, I barely even felt it. It's super comfortable. I haven't caught it on anything or had it get in the way
    - Battery was really impressive - I used it a LOT today - tweaking, resetting, playing with Cortana etc. It came out of the box at 10am w/ ~9/10 of a charge and was at ~3/4 by 7pm.
    - FB Notifications are a little sketchy. I had to switch my notification type from Live Tile Only to Live Tile and Toasts (annoying - I hate toasts, but the Band wasn't picking up messages without it being on). Txt, Email, Reminder notifications all work great.
    - Cortana notifications were confusing. I added it as a tile, and it started giving me news updates. I was expecting the Cortana tile to launch Cortana after tapping it. Had to look up how to even do that (it should tell you in the tile at least the first time you tap it). Once I figured it all out, Cortana works really well - seems to be just as good as the 1020 at deciphering what I'm saying (though a little slower because of the round-trip to the phone, which was expected)
    - Pedometer seems to work fine - got ~7400 steps today - woot!
    - Found the Health app in regard to the Band a little counter-intuitive. The Band icon didn't make sense to me at first. Band management should also be in the Options menu as text. Also found it odd that the Band only supports 12 apps. Not a huge problem now, but I could see that limitation getting really irritating after more partners release apps.

Overall, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Time will tell if I stick it out, but it's really impressive so far.
    11-01-2014 10:03 PM
    So far I am really enjoying my Band. I have worn a Fitbit for almost 2 years now so I am pretty familiar with "fitness tracking" in so far as I have been tracking my activities, sleep and food intake. I've kind of wanted a wrist tracker for a while but had never pulled the trigger. The minute I saw all the capabilities of the Band, especially the heart rate and the fact that it worked incredibly well with WP I knew I had to get it early. I am still forming some opinions but as of now I think it is a great device. A couple of minor issues/recommendations that I have as of now:

1. I want the notifications to sync with my phone. When I dismiss notifications on my band, I want the notification to be cleared in the action center and also live tile. Not a big deal but having to clear them twice is a little annoying.
    2. Would love for my phone notification settings to carry over to the band. For example, my notifications are turned off for e-mail except for the action center. My Band vibrates when I get new e-mails.
    3. Would be nice to change the screen orientation depending on how it is worn. I have switched between inside and outside my wrist and would even like a "vertical" orientation for when reading my Band like a watch.
    4. Add more "glance" notifications like on my L1020. There is plenty of space to the right of the date to fit 4 or so notification icons for things like text, e-mail, call or other.
    5. (additional) When activating Cortana from my Band, my phone unlocks and actually goes through the Cortana motions. This can cause issues in my pocket or somewhere. Would be nice for the phone to stay locked while using the Band.

Other than those few things I am so far very, very pleased with the device. I am still comparing it to my Fitbit Ultra which seems to be more accurate recording steps but that I assume that is mostly the difference between a wrist worn device and wearing the Fitbit on my waist.

A couple of recommendations for the Microsoft Health part vs. the Band.
    1. Connect with HealthVault. My fitbit and withings scale info are synced in but so far my Band/Health info is not being included.
    2. Switch from a desktop program to a Windows App for Windows 8 or better yet, create a universal App with the already existing WP8.1 version
    3. Add some Live Tile options for the Health App. I know that it was designed as an app for WP/iOS/Android but being able to pin the Steps or Calories or even have the Health App Live would be a nice addition. The Fitbit Tracker app by Shane Chism lets you do this for Fitbit and it would be a nice addition to the Health App
    Last edited by tmark86; 11-02-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Found another addition
    11-01-2014 10:44 PM
    So, Nicholas, you're sharing your opinions on a review thread after having not actually done more than look at pictures of the device? Thanks for that, but maybe come back with an actual review after you at least touch and try out the device. From the commercials, I think the new Fiat is bulky, but I wouldn't post on a review thread without having at least taken one for a test drive.
    11-01-2014 11:09 PM
    Quick note to any Microsoft Band employees monitoring: Click on this link and read this review. It is thoughtful, honest, and full of suggestions that are worth consideration. My Band is supposed to be delivered Monday. In the meantime I've been reading every review I can find and this one is, by far, the best.
    11-02-2014 09:49 AM
    Be aware of a design flaw. This should never happen if you take care of your device.. but if you bend the strap backwards (either both or one oof the straps), the rubber will completely separate from the battery unit exposing some of the circuit board.

sweat will probably creep in here and break the unit.
    11-02-2014 10:08 AM
    How good is the Band for playing sports? I don't work out too often, but I play Ultimate very often (~4 times a week) and I was thinking if I get one I would use it for that.
    Last edited by Dadstar0410; 11-02-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    Lions fan likes this.
    11-02-2014 10:56 AM
    so far i'm deeply impressed. i think microsoft really nailed it. i wouldn't say it's perfect, but nothing is. we'll see how it holds up over the coming weeks and months
    jfdavis17 likes this.
    11-02-2014 12:05 PM
    The heart rate function is very inaccurate, at least for me. When compared against a Polar it is off by 20 to 40 beats. I wore both several times to compare. I know the Polar is accurate, I wore it during a stress test to compare.

Just moving my wrist causes the Band to consistently loose the HR lock. Hopefully Microsoft can improve the HR functionality, unless my Band is faulty and I doubt it, Microsoft has an issue with this sensor and algorithm.

If you care about heart rate I would not buy the Band, at least not yet.
    11-02-2014 09:44 PM
    I have been a long time user of the Nike+ line of products... right from the start with the chip in your shoe all the way up to the Nike + GPS SportsWatch and the current Nike+ Fuel Band. I picked up a MS Band the day they came out and here are my initial impressions:

1.) Although people have said in reviews that this thing is big and bulky and annoying I don't share those opinions AT ALL... I previously had a Nike Fuel Band XL without any extender in it (the Fuel Band users a small about quarter inch add in piece that you have to attach to the band to make it bigger or adjust it all) and it never fit right... the Large with the extender was a little too tight and the XL without was a little to loose... so I used the XL and it was a pain all day... sliding up and down my arm, getting stuck lower on my wrist when doing pushups or other exercises when my hands where on the floor... just all around never really fit right. I am 6'2" though... right off the bat the MS Band is 100% more comfortable... I hardly even notice it is there... being able to adjust the size of the band with the clasp is a huge deal and it makes it so I can adjust it to fit perfectly.

2.) As you can see in the picture attached... it is really not any bigger than the Fuel Band that I was using... and it MUCH smaller than the Nike + GPS watch I used for actual running. And what always sucked was the fact that I might have just worn the SportsWatch all the time but it didn't track fuel points (kind of like steps, etc... just a daily goal type thing) so I was always stuck with 2 devices.

3.) I have used the MS Band for a GPS run and it really connected to GPS quicker than my Nike GPS watch and the tracking of the run was spot on... no issues with accuracy.

4.) It looks like the step counts are pretty good... I don't know for sure because my fuel band didn't really track steps... it was more like an arbitrary fitness point count... but on average when I am fairly active I am getting over 10K steps per day which is what I was getting for the brief time I used a fit bit.

5.) Battery seems fine to me... charging is SUPER fast... I plugged it in when the battery was bying notification came on the other day and within 15 minutes or so it was up to 60-70% charge... within a half an hour it was up to and hanging around 80%... so even if you just plug it in while your in the shower you should be fine... and I have used it for just about 2 days before the battery ran down to "charge me"... now I have watch mode enabled and I have all day heart rate turned off... I am not really concerned about the heart rate info unless I am working out and it turns it on by itself when I am...

6.) I really like the screen being "inside" on my wrist... it feels much more natural and like the fuel band front the outside it just looks like a black band and doesn't really draw a bunch of attention to itself. Also... I type all day (programming mainly) and I have fairly good typing form and it isn't a problem at all... band doesn't scratch all over the table or anything (and I generally type on a SP3 keyboard).

7.) The screen protector is really a pain to get on cleanly and is a MUST... the plastic around the screen picks up scratches pretty quickly...

8.) Using Cortona with it can be kind of slow... hopefully that improves over time... but even replying to a text message was kind of a pain and slow... you have to keep telling it to listen through the process... it isn't like the phone where it just starts listening automatically after you say "text someone"

All in all this thing is pretty great so far... I love having a single device to do my GPS based running and the all day step/fitness tracking. I would imagine over time this will see a bunch of software updates and get even better... but I will say... it is only about $70 more than the Nike Fuel Band I was using and it already does soooooooo much more... well worth the $199!!!
    Likwidz likes this.
    11-03-2014 12:17 PM
    TL;DR:
    I purchased the Band on Thursday afternoon. Having worn it for 3/4 days and nights, and having made use of a few of the features, I can safely say $200 for this device is a great price for what you get (of course, YMMV). I would generally recommend it to anyone interested in making the purchase.

The Review
    Be sure to read TheZuneLune's (external) review from above, it is outstanding!

Although I'm no fitness expert by any stretch of the imagination, I watch my weight and eat healthy / responsibly. My wife is the fitness expert: she teaches Spin and Yoga (at Gold's, no less lol). We cook together and are conscious of what we consume (both quality and quantity).

My purchase of the Band was an opportunistic impulse buy.
    • For a while now I've been considerin increasing my 'healthy living' through exercise
    • I have started to miss wearing a watch for the convenience
    • I am a technology enthusiast who was waiting for the right 'wearable' to get started with that category of devices.
    • A wearable would help with glance-and-go, not always possible when pulling your phone out to see what's going on

I pulled the trigger because of a great deal (some birthday money to be used for fun, store credit, and a discount coupon). I figured this was as good as it was going to get to take the plunge, and my 'throw away' risk was quite low.

At first the Band took a little getting used to, but now I hardly notice it. I did not put the screen protector on (I hate them) and it is already scuffed up. I knew this was likely to happen and expected it. It is certainly not a big problem. (For example, I raked leaves yesterday, which is a fitness activity, and so wore the band knowing it would be roughed up - I don't want a dainty device afterall).

Setup was very easy for me. I run 8.1.1 on my 1520 (big device, another reason glance-and-go on my wrist was attractive). However, if my wife decides to get a band I would have to help her (and most anyone in my family) withe the setup. I think setup could be easier for the average user. The simple inclusion of a 'getting started' card would go a long way in this regard. The Health application should link to the support site or better still, display it inside the application.

I wear the face on the inside of my wrist and love this - very easy to swipe and tap.

I will treat the remainder of this review of the band in 2 distinct usage categories: "Smart Watch" and "Fitness Tracker"

The Smart Watch Aspect
    Like most new gadgets it took a while (read: trial and error) to figure out what notifications I wanted and would use. In the end I opted for the following tiles:
    • Messaging
    • Email
    • Calls
    • Weather
    • Alarms
    • Cortana (may remove it, this fails my 'glance and go' criteria - more noise than useful information)
    • Calendar (may remove - not really used)
    • Notification Center (may remove, nothing to see here)
    • Starbucks (we'll see about this one, it'll likely get removed as well)

The Text, Phone, and Email notifications are great - they work just like I expected. My wrist buzzes, I look to see what's coming in, and 9 out of 10 times ignor it and move on. This has been a LOT less disruptive than glancing at my phone, and a lot more up-to-date: With the phone I may not see an email come in for an hour or two when it's sitting on my desk.

I was at an event Saturday. It was loud and no way to hear my ringer. 3 calls came in: 2 got ignored because I saw who it was and knew I'd get back to them and I answered the one I needed to take. I've had similar results with email and text, picking and choosing which ones I stop my activity for right away, and which I will respond to later.

Cortana integration is decent, about what you'd expect given what she can do on a phone. I expect this to improve, but then I expect it to improve on the phone as well and that'll be the most bang for the buck.

The battery life is pretty good. I haven't used the GPS, but I do run it in clock mode and have a steady stream of buzzing and screen light ups as I go through my day. I also use the sleep monitoring and have used the guided workouts a few times. As an example of battery life, I charged it up to 100% about 24 hours ago and am sitting at about %70-ish remaining. Not bad at all.

As for a smart watch, the Band has easily met and exceeded my expectations (albeit with no frame of reference).

The Fitness Tracker
    Here's where my review will fall short for many of you: I'm not a fitness buff, I'm still learning how to use the device effectively, and based on Microsoft's messaging there is still much more to come in this space. I'm also learning what I want in a fitness tracker, looking at the various options, and coming up with a game plan curtailed to me which fits my lifestyle and needs.

The tiles I chose for the fitness tracking were:
    • Guided Workout
    • Exercise
    • Sleep

I've downloaded some fitness routines to the band and went through them all several times. This was pretty cool! You should know that my bar was low: I was looking for a good reason to exercise and I'm using this device to accomplish just that. And it does so very well, guiding me through routines. At some point I'll stop looking at the screen for what's next and will just move to the next phase of the routine when the Band buzzes.

I've integrated with MFP, and I like it so far. I'm just starting out, so all of the calorie calculating is quite new to me and as a beginner it's a little bit daunting. There's a lot more trial and error to go through with this one.

I'm much more interested in how all of this starts to integrate and provide me with a more detailed look at my overall fitness. I'm also looking for improvements (I can't run because of my knees, but I bike - I'd like that tracked).

New Features
    I'm waiting to see what 3rd party apps might be able to do (integrate with health / vault? track caleries better? Give more options for guided routines?). I talked to my wife about what it meant to me: We could, if we decided to try, write a universal app that detailed yoga poses and string them together into a routine for people to use. At least, that's my understanding of what is possible.

I'd like to see music control - this would keep me from opening my phone completely. I've noticed some stuttering listening to audio over BT in my car, which they may or may not be able to address. It's infrequent and not that bad, so it's not a show stopper. I would like to see notifications cleared from the band when cleared from the phone - I don't mind if it doesn't clear the phone when I see it on the band (in fact, would prefer that it doesn't). Bonus points if they can make this configurable.

There are lots of good ideas posted already, so I'll just say 'yeah, me too' to most of those.
    Last edited by EuroKnuter; 11-03-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Minor text changes
    someoneinwa and forked like this.
    11-03-2014 01:00 PM
129 123 ...