Plastic or Glass Screen?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the screen is plastic or glass? It feels like plastic to me.

Anyway, I tried to put the screen protector on when I got it, but of course as usual with these damn things I screwed it up and it was hanging over the edge, had tons of bubbles, and looked like crap - so I peeled it off and threw it in the trash.

Now I notice though on the screen that I have (very very very minor) scuff/scratch marks. Nothing deep and nothing you can see without looking really hard - but they're there.

I'm not overly worried about it - this thing will get beat up on someone's wrist 24/7

Anyway - just seems that if it was a glass screen it would be a little more resistant to these little annoying scratches.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, I searched the Band's specs and found nothing about the composition of the screen. It looks and feel a lot like my Fitbit screen which is plastic. I've carried the Fitbit for a couple of years (In my pocket) and it has a lot of scratches although not noticeable when the display is on.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm also thinking plastic. Over on macrumors someone facetiously coined the phrase 'scuffgate'. Seems fair! :D I haven't done anything with it, and already there's a couple of scuffs around the screen. No matter, as long as I can still read the display I'm good, but I do hope the next iteration will be more scratch resistant!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So the screen isn't Gorilla Glass? I can't believe MS went with a plastic touch screen. Obviously the Surface group did not design this device.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
So the screen isn't Gorilla Glass? I can't believe MS went with a plastic touch screen. Obviously the Surface group did not design this device.

Well no actually plastic was a good choice - as a watch owner they get banged/smashed on a lot of objects, and even with watch crystal after a while it starts to crack. Similarly, if you had glass it would shatter VERY easily (a thin, small piece of glass). My brother has a Pebble and it has a plastic screen - sure it's got loads of scratches but at least it hasn't cracked like some Gear Fits I've seen. They had to make a trade-off I guess (sapphire would raise the price way too high)

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
What's the consensus out there? Are people using the screen protector? I'm not, but wondering if I should order another and give it another go....

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What's the consensus out there? Are people using the screen protector? I'm not, but wondering if I should order another and give it another go....
I'm not, I going for the busted up look.. :) I tried putting on the screen protector, but man, what a pain. I had one from the bad batch, where the yellow tape left residue on the protector. If you get one, have someone in the store apply it for you.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The store manager told me cosmetics were covered but if I have to accidentally put a hammer to it to get a replacement then I will do so. Regular warranty does not cover accidental damage.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
OK - I added the Microsoft Complete protection. For $19 bucks it's sort of a no brainer.

I'm kind of paranoid about it getting all scratched to hell now without the screen protector, but I suppose if it gets too bad it may have to .... have an accident and be replaced :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett