MS Band vs Fitbit step count

jonesyvoor

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Band Thursday night and ever since I have worn both the Band and my Fitbit Flex to determine if there was going to be a discrepancy regarding step count. Yesterday I had the following totals:

MS Band - 4,114
Fitbit - 5,207

(I know it's not a lot. I'm not lazy. I just had to put in a 12 hour day at work) :)

Today thus far:

MS Band - 1,630
Fitbit - 2,261:

While this doesn't necessarily indicate there's a problem with the Band, I did find Fitbit's step counts to be pretty accurate for the length of time I've had it so my suspicion is that the Band isn't clocking all of my steps.

Furthermore, I've done small experiments in which I've taken a reading and then simply paced off 20 steps and several times my Band count hasn't moved at all. Everything else seems to work.

Do I have a bum Band? Anyone else seeing the trends I'm describing above?

Codeworks

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I posted a similar thread a couple days ago... The step count seems to be pretty inaccurate... I was comparing with my iPhone and there is about a 20% discrepancy in the count. I also agree that I can take 20 steps and it will not even move.

Michael McCune

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Steps so far seem to be accurate for me - when comparing to iphone (which is not super reliable). My only issue is that when doing elliptical or treadmill - If I make my hands stationary on the rail or holders., it doesn't count the steps.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I think a better assessment would be both the MS Band and Fitbit Flex against the Fitbit One, as it is more accurate IMO.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been comparing the Band to my Fitbit One for the last couple of days. Thus far the Band records fewer steps than the One by about 25%. The descrepency seems to occur on movements of less than 20-25 steps. The Band seems to not record these sorts of movements. However, when walking a longer distance both the One and Band are within a couple of steps.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Fitbit giving you more steps doesn't mean its more accurate. Simple bounced based pedometers count any bump as a step. I've noticed the band doesn't count random bumps somehow. I'm guessing it's using other sensors to determine steps. I've found it to be very accurate.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Band Thursday night and ever since I have worn both the Band and my Fitbit Flex to determine if there was going to be a discrepancy regarding step count. Yesterday I had the following totals:

MS Band - 4,114
Fitbit - 5,207

(I know it's not a lot. I'm not lazy. I just had to put in a 12 hour day at work) :)

Today thus far:

MS Band - 1,630
Fitbit - 2,261:

While this doesn't necessarily indicate there's a problem with the Band, I did find Fitbit's step counts to be pretty accurate for the length of time I've had it so my suspicion is that the Band isn't clocking all of my steps.

Furthermore, I've done small experiments in which I've taken a reading and then simply paced off 20 steps and several times my Band count hasn't moved at all. Everything else seems to work.

Do I have a bum Band? Anyone else seeing the trends I'm describing above?

Seems defective as what often happens with products rushed to the market. I would return it and wait. It has to get better, just not today.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand what you are saying but, I have physically counted my steps to compare the One to the Band. My Band does not capture walks of about 20 - 25 steps or less whereas the One does. Obviously this leads to a significant discrepancy between the two on a daily basis. I'm not trying to tout the One or anything else - just an observation. Overall, I am very happy with the Band.

Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you are saying but, I have physically counted my steps to compare the One to the Band. My Band does not capture walks of about 20 - 25 steps or less whereas the One does. Obviously this leads to a significant discrepancy between the two on a daily basis. I'm not trying to tout the One or anything else - just an observation. Overall, I am very happy with the Band.

I wonder what kind of software is involved? Like maybe the sensor is counting the steps but there is some sort of software algorithm that tries to filter out "false steps" and maybe it is still being tweaked? Or maybe the hardware that counts steps is in some type of power saving mode and the band isn't waking it up quick enough so it misses the first 25 steps or so?

It will be interesting to see how soon the traditional first firmware update comes out and what it addresses.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I didn't think it "counted" steps. It used GPS and stride length to figure it out.

It only uses the GPS when you activate the running mode on the watch. The GPS does not run all day, the steps are taken from the accelerometers built into the Band. If it relied on GPS for steps the battery would only last a few hours and it wouldn't work indoors.

Upstate Dunadan

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It only uses the GPS when you activate the running mode on the watch. The GPS does not run all day, the steps are taken from the accelerometers built into the Band. If it relied on GPS for steps the battery would only last a few hours and it wouldn't work indoors.
Good to know and makes sense I was worried about how it would work indoors. I work from home and go up and down the stairs all day to get coffee, etc.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Good to know and makes sense I was worried about how it would work indoors. I work from home and go up and down the stairs all day to get coffee, etc.

Even between bands like the Fitbit, Vivofit, Nike, etc, there were always discrepancies between how accurate they were. When you wear something on your wrist, doing things like typing can count false steps and things like the FitBit One (I think that was the one you put in your pocket/clip on your belt) were always more accurate because it eliminated it.

I finally settled on the Vivofit because of the year long battery and it was waterproof and it was pretty accurate on the steps. (And the FitBit Force had been recalled!) I assume the steps stuff is all some algorithm/formula so maybe it can be tweaked to be more accurate.. I don't know?

I love seeing the side by side reports though. I wish I had ordered one before they went out of stock. :(

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Fitbit giving you more steps doesn't mean its more accurate. Simple bounced based pedometers count any bump as a step. I've noticed the band doesn't count random bumps somehow. I'm guessing it's using other sensors to determine steps. I've found it to be very accurate.

This is my experience thus far too when comparing Band to Force. In general, I get fewer steps with the Band, but as you mention, this does not mean it is less accurate.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I assume the steps stuff is all some algorithm/formula so maybe it can be tweaked to be more accurate.. I don't know?

Correct. Things like firmware updates can be used to adjust those and presumably that will happen (even Fitbit updates their firmware on occasion for such thigns).

tmark86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently wearing the Fitbit Ultra on my waist daily and also using the Microsoft Band. I haven't worn any wrist trackers but I always assumed they would be slightly less inaccurate than the waist ones. Here are my steps counts for the past three days that I have been wearing both devices.

I had a lazy Saturday and Sunday where I played hockey instead of running but this afternoon I went for a 3.5 mile run/walk.

Saturday -
Fitbit: 993​
Band: 890​
Sunday -
Fitbit: 1557​
Band: 1732​
Monday -
Fitbit: 7557​
Band: 7310​

So far they seem to be pretty similar although I'm still very leary of the Band only because I feel like I am constantly moving my wrist and have no idea how the step counting magic works! :smile:

I'm going to continue wearing both devices for a while to compare but so far I am definitely leaning toward the Band.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs