Suunto Ambit vs Microsoft Band

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
e47f73ab1758350611986e66917195d8.jpg
I've attached an image showing data accumulated from one workout while wearing a Suunto Ambit 1 and a Microsoft Band. They both presented fairly close data. For some reason it looms like the Microsoft Band stopped collecting my HR around 5min in. The Microsoft Band also gave me a much shorter recovery time than my Suunto did bit other than those two gripes the Microsoft Band seems fairly solid as far as tracking data from a workout.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this! FWIW, I have found that Movescount is very conservative on recovery time. I've had plenty of times using my Ambit 2 where the recovery is over 100 hours, and I'm sorry but they weren't workouts that required five days of recovery.

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully it helps you or others in some way. Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I will do more comparisons in the future. I wonder if some of the inaccuracy may be from the loose fit of the Band on my wrist. I bought it a little bit bigger so the band doesn't snap during my dynamic workouts. I use this to augment my Suunto and provide a holistic view of my daily activities. I'm not too worried about it being dead on accurate to track my workouts because I don't expect it to be as accurate as my Suunto. I don't follow the recovery times from either of these, I have a schedule I stick to and I don't think these things can gauge a good ol'case of DOMS.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely helpful, thanks! My Suunto isn't going anywhere because I think it is still by far the best device for running and cycling. However, I'm interested in how useful and accurate the Band is, particularly in light of the fact that the MS team is touting the innovative HR monitor measurement technique. I read about it in the 3,000 word history of the evolution of the device that was posted on this site. I'm trying to see if that is really true or if it's a bunch of hooey!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if some of the inaccuracy may be from the loose fit of the Band on my wrist.
In the other (hyperbole filled) thread I suggested that the problem may be that the MS Band is set to ignore rapid HR changes, as if it's assuming that those are erroneous readings. Could you keep an eye on that? Does it show the 'heart rate signal lost' icon only for sudden changes in exercise intensity?

Last edited:

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
In the other (hyperbole filled) thread I suggested that the problem may be that the MS Band is set to ignore rapid HR changes, as if it's assuming that those are erroneous readings. Could you keep an eye on that? Does it show the 'heart rate signal lost' icon only for sudden changes in exercise intensity?

You may be correct. I noticed during my test that in between sets while I was resting the Band seemed to take a while to show a hr close to what my Suunto showed, same thing at the completion of the set. It appears the Band is tracking the hr throughout the workout bit not constant displaying the correct hr. I will keep monitoring this activity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte