Preorders are now LIVEfor all of the new Surface devicesfor Fall 2021

05-23-2016 07:17 PM
271 ... 891011
tools
    Yesterday I did cardio with the microsoft band and the heart rate was actually accurate around +- 140hb. I chose workout mode.
    Today I did a leg session at the gym. I diānt choose any type of workout but I checked my heart rate many times and was around 70/80hb. Impossible!!! Do we have to choose workout mode to have decent heart rate accuracy?!? The band doesnt seem to be working properly.
    I“m regreted that I invested 250€ on the microsoft band. I bought it from Amazon. Do you think Amazon would return my money if I send it back? Thanks
    04-22-2015 09:16 AM
    The HR sampling frequency and duration is different (more frequent and longer) during exercise mode. The algorithm for calories burned is also different.

If don't select the proper mode, your data won't be accurate.
    04-22-2015 09:51 AM
    Today I did a leg session at the gym. I diānt choose any type of workout but I checked my heart rate many times and was around 70/80hb. Impossible!!! Do we have to choose workout mode to have decent heart rate accuracy?!?
    In "normal mode" the HR is checked once every 10 minutes. You'd have to select some kind of exercise mode for it to give you real-time monitoring. It's a battery thing. Those LEDs take power.

You can do spot checking without going into exercise mode, but it takes time to lock in.
    04-22-2015 03:21 PM
    Yesterday I did cardio with the microsoft band and the heart rate was actually accurate around +- 140hb. I chose workout mode.
    Today I did a leg session at the gym. I diānt choose any type of workout but I checked my heart rate many times and was around 70/80hb. Impossible!!! Do we have to choose workout mode to have decent heart rate accuracy?!? The band doesnt seem to be working properly.
    I“m regreted that I invested 250€ on the microsoft band. I bought it from Amazon. Do you think Amazon would return my money if I send it back? Thanks
    I also have the impression, based on my own workouts and reports here from other owners, that the Band does a reasonably good job tracking your heart rate when you're doing something steady and continuous, like running, cycling, something on a machine, etc. It seems that if your workout is in bursts of activity, like weight-lifting -- even in workout mode -- it's not locking and sampling often enough to track your HR. If you repeat the leg routine in workout mode you should see something better, but I'd suggest keeping your expectations not-too-high.

​-Matt
    04-22-2015 03:44 PM
    I just got back from the doctors office and checked my band while they were taking my HR.
    The Doc said 84 and the band said 81. I don't know what any of that means, but it seems close enough.
    04-22-2015 03:49 PM
    I also have the impression, based on my own workouts and reports here from other owners, that the Band does a reasonably good job tracking your heart rate when you're doing something steady and continuous, like running, cycling, something on a machine, etc.
    My theory is that motion can create interfering "pulses" that throws things off. But the Band uses it's sensors to look for motion that corresponds to the blood flow and tries to subtract out the false readings. But it can only do that if the motion is repetitive for a period of time. A weight machine workout isn't long enough or repetitive enough for it to figure that out.
    gadgetrants likes this.
    04-22-2015 03:52 PM
    I have just completed an hour workout using the "Exercise" mode. The pulse rate varied between about 70 and 168 even though my work rate was steady. This is completely unacceptable and not what Microsoft are advertising.

Do I send this unit back or is this how bad they all are?

I am a huge Microsoft fan but this is unacceptable.

Pete Boys
    UK
    05-24-2015 06:22 AM
    Do I send this unit back or is this how bad they all are?
    It seems there's a large component of individual physiology involved. Same say it does well, others, not so well. You might try a different tightness and/or placement.

Some have reported good luck with an exchange, others, not so much.
    05-25-2015 11:21 PM
    I am trying to do some heart rate based training where I run without letting my heart rate get above a certain level. So far a couple of weeks in it is not very successful. The heart rate on the band seems to fluctuate greatly and often is far higher than my actual heart rate. I have tested it by stopping and feeling my pulse and while I am not a doctor I can surely tell whether my heart is beating 3 times a second. The band shows me over 180 and I am not even close to that. I also have stopped run mode and gone right to my daily heart rate monitor number and it is much lower than the band is showing when I am running. There are times it seems to get synched up and is right where expected and then other times it is way off. I am going to keep testing tightness, location, inside/outside of wrist, ... but not too thrilled with the early tests.
    05-26-2015 08:01 AM
    There are times it seems to get synched up and is right where expected and then other times it is way off. I am going to keep testing tightness, location, inside/outside of wrist, ... but not too thrilled with the early tests.
    Sounds like you're in the same situation I'm in. I find that motion tends to confuse it. It tries to compensate, but it isn't always successful. My personal best result so far is to set the Band to maximum size and then turn it at nearly a 45 degree angle on my wrist. Not terribly comfortable, and it seems rather stressful on the Band, but I get good solid readings that way. It seems that the capillaries in that spot "plays better".

Another way is if I use my Band hand across my chest and hold my shirt. That keeps the arm immobile as far any bending or flexing. But that tends to upset balance.
    05-26-2015 03:07 PM
    What optical sensor Microsoft uses in the band? Anybody knows the name? It's not the Mio which is really accurate and are in most of the best sport devices from Garmin, TomTom.
    05-31-2015 01:57 AM
    heart rate on the band seems to fluctuate greatly and often is far higher than my actual heart rate. The band shows me over 180 and I am not even close to that.
    My experience is similar. When the heart rate locks, the accuracy is close enough for me. However, getting a lock is very frustrating sometimes. I'm at about 16% body fact, Caucasian, no tattoos and lightly tanned skin. Essentially.... average. ... except for my blood pressure. I'm pretty low and my hemoglobin (and RBC count, HCT) are on the higher side. Hemaglobin runs 16 to 17.2 depending on my hydration.

The only things have seem to improve getting a lock is wearing the band higher up on my arm, towards my forearm and cleaning the sensor periodically.

Things that made NO improvement were: shaving my arms, switching position from bottom to top, wearing tightly, movement or no movement.
    05-31-2015 08:04 PM
    My Band is actually very accurate.

When at the doctor, I compared it to their device when they were reading my blood pressure and it was spot on.
    05-31-2015 08:19 PM
    File this one under: "It's Damn Hard to Read HR with an Infrared Sensor"

Apple Watch infrequent heart rate measurements are intentional - CNET

Most telling:

The company reports that the wearable will still attempt to track your heart rate every 10 minutes, but won't record it if your arms are moving. Users can also still check their heart rates by manually checking its Heart Rate Glance feature, and the device will continue tracking heart rate during a workout.
    I suspect the Band is probably doing the best it can (large apparent differences between users notwithstanding) under difficult circumstances.

-Matt
    06-01-2015 08:18 AM
    My Band is actually very accurate.

When at the doctor, I compared it to their device when they were reading my blood pressure and it was spot on.
    Yes, I'm sure the Band is quite accurate - when there is no movement.
    06-01-2015 04:35 PM
    Yes, I'm sure the Band is quite accurate - when there is no movement.
    Yes, I'm sure it's not very accurate - if its so loose on your wrist that it's moving around.
    06-03-2015 11:32 PM
    Yes, I'm sure it's not very accurate - if its so loose on your wrist that it's moving around.
    I think he meant, "when you don't move your body", i.e., "while standing still."

For the record -- and despite my post above about the difficulty of IR-based HR tracking -- count me as one of the owners who is having a reasonably good experience with HR tracking on the Band. Lately I've been doing 2-4 mile runs and based on having used a Garmin watch with a chest strap over the last many years, the HR data from the Band are more or less the same.

It may be worth noting: we've all speculated that the real-time HR data that are collected and displayed while working out are likely reprocessed (i.e., smoothed) when they sync to the phone -- I tend to ignore the occasional spikes/dips on the Band and rely on the Health app and Dashboard. Of course, this comes with three rather dumb drawbacks:

- the Band does not offer HR-zone training
    - the Band's default HR zones (in post-workout displays) are not modifiable
    - IF the Band did have zone training, it would likely not be very robust (without on-Band correction of HR spikes)

In other words...HR detection on the Band seems better suited for post-workout data summary and analysis than real-time feedback. Of course, the final caveat is that everything I'm proposing applies to things like running, walking, and biking -- that is, movements that are fairly regular or rhythmic over time -- I think all bets are off for "ballistic" movements like weight lifting.

​-Matt
    06-04-2015 08:21 AM
    having 2nd thought now
    06-04-2015 03:10 PM
    I think he meant, "when you don't move your body", i.e., "while standing still."
    Correct.
    06-04-2015 03:55 PM
    I'm sure that's what he meant, but if he'd been less of a smartass he would have gotten less of a smartass reply.
    06-05-2015 04:42 PM
    I exercise regularly in and outside of the gym. When I'm at the gym I have checked the HR w the various cardio machines. So far most are pretty darn spot on or at least when reason. I also use Tickr X chest strap from Wahoo Fitness. I've tracked work outs simultaneously and those results are very close too. With that said, a lot of hand movement will cause a temporary but significant rise or drop in HR with the MSB. Overall I'm pleased w it. Here is some data from a recent bike ride. Maybe you guys will disagree or agree w my assessment. imageuploadedbywindows-central-forums1433548738.381809.jpgimageuploadedbywindows-central-forums1433548750.430977.jpgimageuploadedbywindows-central-forums1433548766.703722.jpgimageuploadedbywindows-central-forums1433548778.409981.jpgimageuploadedbywindows-central-forums1433548789.164815.jpgimageuploadedbywindows-central-forums1433548800.020837.jpg
    06-05-2015 07:00 PM
    My experience is similar. When the heart rate locks, the accuracy is close enough for me. However, getting a lock is very frustrating sometimes. I'm at about 16% body fact, Caucasian, no tattoos and lightly tanned skin. Essentially.... average. ... except for my blood pressure. I'm pretty low and my hemoglobin (and RBC count, HCT) are on the higher side. Hemaglobin runs 16 to 17.2 depending on my hydration.

The only things have seem to improve getting a lock is wearing the band higher up on my arm, towards my forearm and cleaning the sensor periodically.

Things that made NO improvement were: shaving my arms, switching position from bottom to top, wearing tightly, movement or no movement.
    Ha I was thinking about shaving my lower arm. :)
    I am getting happier with the HRM portion. It still freaks out most runs at the start. I am warming up, 12+ minute miles and goes up to 170. Not a true indication of my heart rate. But if I ignore it, then when I am done warming up I stop that run a and start another it has been fairly accurate. Today I did a 3 mile test and it stayed between 114 and 121 which is almost exactly where I wanted it to be.
    I have not tried cleaning the sensor, might give that a shot before tomorrow's run.
    06-06-2015 08:44 AM
    Hello Kronus24, Sorry for the late reply, but wanted to set the record straight. I did use the 'Run' mode. And BTW, I agree that the Band is quite accurate. I am totally sold! No complaints. What I meant was a 'display' lag.

The screenshot below is a superimposition of the heart rate that the Band measured and that measured by Micoach chest belt (taken from my MyCoach portal screen). (Took me quite some effort to match them up and clean up some background colors so that both could be seen!)

band-vs-chest-belt.jpg

As one can see, the band does a super job, for a device that is so convenient to use! But I still believe that it takes a few seconds to catch up on the display, so I wouldn't make 'real time' decisions based on what my band shows me. For instance, if I do zone/interval training, I want to stay as close as possible to the top of the green (136 bpm for me) and yellow (158 bpm for me) zones. If I run till the displayed heart rate is 156 bpm, and then just stop, and keep looking at my band, I can see the HR going to 160..162.. 167.. 170, all well within my Red Zone, and then dropping off, all while I am standing still. This never happens with my chest belt. So, I am assuming that when I stopped, the HR was much higher, and the band display just caught up with it.

So, either there is a lag between the level of my effort and the way my heart responds, or between level of my HR and the way the band responds. I pray to God that it is the latter!! :-) Cheers!
    Last edited by Shripad Lale; 08-03-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    NBrookus and Joe920 like this.
    08-03-2015 08:18 AM
    so I wouldn't make 'real time' decisions based on what my band shows me.
    And there's the problem. Why can't it? Why should we haul something else for "real time"? That's a major issue that I hope gets fixed in the next gen.
    08-03-2015 03:09 PM
    And there's the problem. Why can't it? Why should we haul something else for "real time"? That's a major issue that I hope gets fixed in the next gen.
    Well, I think that's mostly down to optical HR monitors in general, not just the Band. My Mio Fuse reacts slightly faster than the Band, but not by much. There is always going to be a slight delay with optical, because you are reading from capillary action on an extremity, rather than electrical impulse via a sensor located directly over the heart. As I understand the tech, there is also some software wizardry involved in decoding the information from an optical sensor, in order to try to distinguish what is an actual heart rate as opposed to 'noise'.
    NBrookus likes this.
    08-03-2015 06:21 PM
271 ... 891011