How long can the battery last if the GPS is on

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I want to know how long can the battery last if the GPS is turned on. This is very important for long distance running (10K, 20K marathon etc). Hopefully more than 4 hours.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
IF 2/3 full gives you 1hr then my vast math skills project 1.5 hrs for a full battery. That would be kind of bad. Maybe they'll add an 'economy mode' later that samples GPS less frequently for activities with slow movement such as hikes.

Looking forward to reports from more hikers or long-distance runners. Anyone?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Eh, I wanted to go on a hike today up in NH, but the weather has been so crappy these last few days. Not sure when I can give it a go, getting cold in these parts.

GPS is going to be weird. So many factors, including weather, can affect the quality of the signal, which in turn affects how 'hard' the device tries to pin your location. This is why aGPS and Advanced Forward Link Trilateration (AFLT) was invented for phones, although not sure how the Band is doing it.

Microsoft themselves state "GPS uses a lot of battery power", so I don't doubt it.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I had 40% battery and went on a 45 min run with GPS on and had 20% left over at the end. I am surprised that you went from 66% to 0% in an hour, mine seems to be doing much better than that.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had 40% battery and went on a 45 min run with GPS on and had 20% left over at the end. I am surprised that you went from 66% to 0% in an hour, mine seems to be doing much better than that.

Great, that puts us at 3h45min. Between our two data points that 2h38min on average. But maybe it's a bit early for averages? :) More data points please!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
GPS is going to be weird. So many factors, including weather, can affect the quality of the signal, which in turn affects how 'hard' the device tries to pin your location. This is why aGPS and Advanced Forward Link Trilateration (AFLT) was invented for phones, although not sure how the Band is doing it.
When using only the band it only has GPS and bluetooth, so it doesn't have any additional way to get position data. I'm curious if things improve when it's synced with a GPS + cell + wifi enabled phone in your pocket. Would it be smart enough to pull GPS data from the phone and save battery that way? I'm guessing no, but who knows.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
When using only the band it only has GPS and bluetooth, so it doesn't have any additional way to get position data. I'm curious if things improve when it's synced with a GPS + cell + wifi enabled phone in your pocket. Would it be smart enough to pull GPS data from the phone and save battery that way? I'm guessing no, but who knows.
Yeah, wondering that myself. Right now, the beauty is you do not need to carry your phone with you when on a GPS-run, which is awesome. Downside is the battery life.

Maybe they could do the 'phone as GPS' thing, but then the question is, do you make that yet-another-option and would that be too confusing for people? I also wonder what the ratio is between people who want to take their phone on a run vs people who don't.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

Also, you could always try turning Bluetooth off before the run...personally I'd love to be able to use this thing to map my ski runs :p

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
As JoJoe, I am also interested in the band as a ski and touring day tracker instead of having to rely on the phone GPS. That would require 6-8h capability. That way I could also trace my HR accurately throughout the high altitude activities. Will it last?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
As JoJoe, I am also interested in the band as a ski and touring day tracker instead of having to rely on the phone GPS. That would require 6-8h capability. That way I could also trace my HR accurately throughout the high altitude activities. Will it last?

Well you could always carry a small portable battery to charge it up on lunch breaks given it charges so quickly (80% in half an hour) and upon doing some research you can pause the run mode when you're taking breaks (or in our case, going up the chairlift). Does anyone know if this 'pause' mode suspends GPS and thus saves a bit of battery?

garyhartaz

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
What were the condition you had the Band in? Bluetooth on? Screen (Clock) active?

garyhartaz

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Well you could always carry a small portable battery to charge it up on lunch breaks given it charges so quickly (80% in half an hour) and upon doing some research you can pause the run mode when you're taking breaks (or in our case, going up the chairlift). Does anyone know if this 'pause' mode suspends GPS and thus saves a bit of battery?

I don't think pause turns GPS on because when I restarted after pause, it didn't have to look for a GPS signal.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Someone had mentioned in another thread that when they went on a run on a cloudy day the GPS had trouble syncing and the battery died quickly. Well I had a similar problem today. I got up for my morning run, it was very cloudy but the band still seemed to get a GPS lock quickly ~20 seconds. I was at 40% when I started the run and 18 mins later it said I needed to plug in the band, and then it died shortly after. I have gone 45 mins before on 40% battery life and had 20% left over so it seems the harder the GPS has to work the more quickly the battery goes....and it goes quickly!

Sadly I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and return the band....I really really wanted to like it, but running is my main activity and a 3 mile is pretty much the shortest run I do and if it can't track it then it really isn't going to work for me. Sadly there isn't anything else out (yet) that does what the Band does, I will just have to go back to my fitbit, pebble, tomtom combo :(

d702

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I ran an hour today starting with 100%. Ended with 80%. Back to fully charged after a half hour sitting at my desk.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I ran an hour today starting with 100%. Ended with 80%. Back to fully charged after a half hour sitting at my desk.

That has been my experience before today. But today I went through 40% battery in 18 mins, only difference was a cloudy sky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss