Calories Burned??

Raynne413

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
For the calories burned on the band, does it show the calories you've burned in total, or those you have burned over your BMR? I FINALLY got my band set up, but it is 9am and my calories burned for the day says 56. Really?? I know I have a desk job, but it is 9 in the morning, and I've already taken an 8 minute walk since I put the band on. Just being alive, I should have burned more than 56 calories!

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
It should be including BMR - I am currently confirming that since it seems somewhat low to me (not as low as yours). Did you enter your height and weight in the profile section? Also I am not sure if it 'tracks' if you are not wearing the band, were you wearing it the whole time?

As an example my Basil Metabolic Rate is calculated at 1733. They band calculated my total calorie burn yesterday as 2153 calories. It seems low to me that I only burned 420 calories over the BMR. My Polar Loop (see other thread for more comparisons) calculated my burn yesterday at 2583. This seems more realistic since I played an hour of light tennis (not tracked separately).

Raynne413

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
It should be including BMR - I am currently confirming that since it seems somewhat low to me (not as low as yours). Did you enter your height and weight in the profile section? Also I am not sure if it 'tracks' if you are not wearing the band, were you wearing it the whole time?

Height and weight are entered. I WISH I was light enough for that BMR to be correct. LOL I first put the band on around 9 am, but I read somewhere that it will calculate calorie burn even if you aren't wearing the band. I guess I will get the full idea tomorrow, with that being my first full day of wearing it.

Raynne413

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. I think something is off. I took a 10 minute walk and tracked it as exercise. It says I burned 74 calories. Yet my total calories burned for the day says 122??

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking my band is over calculating my calories burned.

I did 25 minutes of a low intensity cardio workout this morning and burned 320. (I haven't worked out since July / August).
I walked my dogs half a mile at 10am and burned 203.
I walked my dogs around 3 miles at lunch and burned 518.

Typically I would log those as 300 (high intensity), 70 and 280 respectively according to MyFitnessPal logs I typically use. So 1040 vs 650. A 500 calorie difference.

It feels like it's over measuring the calories based on what I've relied on in the past. I'm going to wait and see how things pan out as I become more educated.

pj737

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The Band calculates calories burned by including your basal metabolic rate (BMR). So you have to consider the aspect of time. If your basal metabolic rate is 2,000 calories, you have to subtract 83 calories (2,000 / 24 hours = 83.3 calories) for every hour of exercise you do to get a true understanding of the calories you burned as a result of the activity you performed.

Microsoft should really provide the BMR calculation used specifically for you so you can better determine how many calories you really burned for the activity only. It will be different for everyone based on age, height and weight. Muscle to fat ratio will also impact BMR but we aren't there yet with our technology to reliably include that... so Microsoft is using information used universally based on those three aforementioned metrics.

AdeptMaven

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It tracks your total calorie burn. The closest you'll get to it showing your BMR is wearing it for 24hrs and not doing any exercise (anything that would significantly raise your heart rate). However, The band estimates your daily calories burned even when you’re not wearing it. The estimate gets more refined the more you wear and use the band. because height (and more importantly weight) are used to calculate calories burned be sure to update your profile as often as appropriate ( unfortunately you can only enter to the nearest pound, so weighing and updating info twice a week should be sufficient, unless you are shedding/gaining weight rapidly)

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I think irs simply because its the first day. I set mine up in the evening and it says I burned 700 that day when my bmr is closer to 2000. It should fix itself

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb