A positive Band review from David Pogue!

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yahoo Tech columnist David Pogue has a surprisingly positive review of the Band on his site. He includes the obligatory "so uncomfortable" and "big and bulky" comments but the rest of the video is full of praise for the capabilities of the Band and Microsoft's innovation.

And as for these reviewer comments, whether its Pogue or Thurrott or others, about the Band being so big, I'd counter that I'm sure a second generation device could be slimmer, but I would not want that to come at the expense of a feature the Band has that I've not seen on any other fitness device or smartwatch yet. (I will concede there might be something else out there I haven't seen.) The Band offers more choices for comfort than other devices as it works on either wrist and in either the upper or lower positions. I tried all four to find what worked best for me. I think this is a great selling point for the Band and helps mitigate the comfort issue. Because we all come in different sizes and have unique tastes and comforts, there are people that the Band won't work for in any of its three sizes or four locations, but labeling the Band big and bulky without noting the options it provides is just lazy writing.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The part about we are supposed to have two nice updates in December is interesting. 1. A website to actually play with the data and 2. Extra analysis on the data.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Very positive review for the Band. Watch the video accompanying the review. Pogue is hilarious. Sorry, couch potatoes (I probably qualify as one too so I can write this) but I think the geekier the reviewer, the more positive a review the Band will get. It is that feature rich and the features outweigh the drawbacks. But you know what seals the deal for the hearts and minds of the masses - design and ergonomics a la Apple.

If a Band 2 gets a curved screen and some other minor touch ups on ergonomics, upped battery life with gps, and a decent sdk, it should wipe the floor with the competition at $200.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Re-reading Pogue's review, I still believe the "big and bulky" comments need some context. It isn't really wider than some other devices on the market, although it is certainly thicker. And I appreciate the reason for that. Pogue does emphasize the device does more than anything else available so I willing to cut him some slack. His successor at the NY Times, on the other hand, used his review of the Band to find reasons to mention Apple multiple times.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
He's wrong on at least one point . Pogue says," ? but there?s no way to see any past nights? sleep. It?d be nice to see a graph of your sleep over the past week or month, for example."

You can see previous nights' sleep. Just touch the stacked menu on the top left of the Phone App, choose activity history and there are all your previous Exercises, Runs and Sleeps. I don't know how far back it goes yet because I've only had my Band for a week, but all my activities go back the full week.

For Pogue, who's always been the ultimate Apple ******, it's a great review. And it starts with the good and only adds the negatives at the end. Damn, I may have to change my opinion of him.

LesliePres

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
how do you do the automatic reply with an android phone. Is there a manual online somewhere. The booklet that came with it was pretty lacking.

Upstate Dunadan

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm syncing with Android. Go to Manage Tiles, then click on the pencil icon next to Messaging, or Calls, etc. and add your pre-defines responses there.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Thurrott has been unbearable on so many things lately, it's not even funny.

I love Windows Weekly but Thurrott almost makes it unlistenable. He swings wildly from one extreme to the next. Like calling Windows 10 some amazing thing that the best thing since sliced bread then swinging his mood to assassinating the Band and Miracast devices without telling an accurate or complete story.

If you heard the his talk on the Microsoft Band, it was unbearable. He talks about how the Band is way way too complicated. What is complicated about it? He talked about it as if he was at a command prompt. There are two buttons on the side. There are virtually no settings to input for the device (it all comes from the Microsoft account). There's no place to input accounts, etc. etc. There's nothing complicated about the charging. there's nothing complicated about swiping left and right on the screen. He thinks it's complicated because he has to tap the start button before he goes to sleep???

He doesn't exercise but talks about all the fitness bands he's bought. Does he talk about the experience with the bands during exercise? No. He talks about bands as if they're daily watches. He complains that Band has poor battery life and how the watch mode should always be on (saying that he doesn't understand why they put the option for turning the screen off), but then praises the long battery life on his fitness bands that don't even have screens.

He doesn't like how the bands have haptic feedback? Well, turn it off. There are some people that like haptic feedback. When did having choice become a bad thing? Jawbone is about to release a fitness band that has a heck of a lot less features, but costs almost the same as the Microsoft Band. When you compare comparables, the Microsoft Band comes out looking pretty darn good but according to Thurrott, he'd prefer the band do one thing.

His talk about Miracast was equally laughable. He completely ignored (more like he didn't realize it until a lot of people pointed out) the fact that Miracast devices are peer-to-peer and don't require a network connection or involve a router at all (something Chromecast cannot handle). When Leo Laporte asked him what are the benefits of Miracast, Thurrott actually said nothing. "It's just a dumb wireless wire." He completely ignored the benefits of Miracast. It's not the best for every situation but for some situations, Miracast is the only viable option (you go to a foreign office to do a presentation, let's see how far you get when you ask them for network access to do a presentation).

For a guy that supposedly is a Microsoft guru, his knowledge is really lacking with a bunch of half-truths. He really isn't thorough on anything. I wish I had the time to listen to him "live" so that I can correct his many mistakes.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This is why the only person's judgment that really matters is my own. "Experts" are mostly just people who have loud platforms to voice their opinions but ultimately don't really know more than the next person.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Thurrott's seeming obsession with the Band's size and complexity is kind of like a mood swing. He praises the idea of the Band and the Health platform and correctly notes the platform is a bigger deal, but rather than just comment that he doesn't like the size or complexity of the product which would be legitimate points, he just goes on and on about them: questioning the judgment of the product team and ridiculing features like sleep tracking just because he doesn't want that information. Microsoft should know by now that Thurrott is The Everyman and if he doesn't need something, no one else does either.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Since we seem to have gone on to Thurott, I have to agree. I found his nit picks about the Band incomprehensible. Complicated? It couldn't be easier and more user friendly, and many other writers who aren't usually favorable to MS agree.

I also bought the Miracast dongle and unlike Thurott, I find it an absolute joy. Before now I used to watch Netflix and HBO going through my Xbox 360, which involved changing to that input channel of my tv with the cable box controller, turning on the Xbox with its controller, waiting til it turned on and signed in, cycling through all the top choices to my Apps, going down or over to pick Netflix, waiting for it to turn on, choosing who was watching and finally picking a movie or show. And it often came up with random Xbox commands which I had to override shouting, "Xbox, cancel" or Xbox, play!".
With the Miracast plugged into the back of my TV, all I have to do is switch inputs on my TV controller and Netflix which was showing on my Surface Pro 3 is displayed on the TV. Swiping through choices is a lot faster too. It is soo much easier and nicer. Plus I can also read my e-mail across the room, surf the Net in IE or see any game on my surface up on the screen.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I love Windows Weekly but Thurrott almost makes it unlistenable. He swings wildly from one extreme to the next. Like calling Windows 10 some amazing thing that the best thing since sliced bread then swinging his mood to assassinating the Band and Miracast devices without telling an accurate or complete story.

If you heard the his talk on the Microsoft Band, it was unbearable. He talks about how the Band is way way too complicated. What is complicated about it? He talked about it as if he was at a command prompt. There are two buttons on the side. There are virtually no settings to input for the device (it all comes from the Microsoft account). There's no place to input accounts, etc. etc. There's nothing complicated about the charging. there's nothing complicated about swiping left and right on the screen. He thinks it's complicated because he has to tap the start button before he goes to sleep???

He doesn't exercise but talks about all the fitness bands he's bought. Does he talk about the experience with the bands during exercise? No. He talks about bands as if they're daily watches. He complains that Band has poor battery life and how the watch mode should always be on (saying that he doesn't understand why they put the option for turning the screen off), but then praises the long battery life on his fitness bands that don't even have screens.

He doesn't like how the bands have haptic feedback? Well, turn it off. There are some people that like haptic feedback. When did having choice become a bad thing? Jawbone is about to release a fitness band that has a heck of a lot less features, but costs almost the same as the Microsoft Band. When you compare comparables, the Microsoft Band comes out looking pretty darn good but according to Thurrott, he'd prefer the band do one thing.

His talk about Miracast was equally laughable. He completely ignored (more like he didn't realize it until a lot of people pointed out) the fact that Miracast devices are peer-to-peer and don't require a network connection or involve a router at all (something Chromecast cannot handle). When Leo Laporte asked him what are the benefits of Miracast, Thurrott actually said nothing. "It's just a dumb wireless wire." He completely ignored the benefits of Miracast. It's not the best for every situation but for some situations, Miracast is the only viable option (you go to a foreign office to do a presentation, let's see how far you get when you ask them for network access to do a presentation).

For a guy that supposedly is a Microsoft guru, his knowledge is really lacking with a bunch of half-truths. He really isn't thorough on anything. I wish I had the time to listen to him "live" so that I can correct his many mistakes.

Lol! I was thinking about the same thing. I do read Thurrott's site for MS-related news. But his recent "reviews" of the L830 is also kind of ridiculous. And, he seems to be a rather intolerant person - you can see this in some of the responses he has in the comments section of his site. Seems to be a fellow who is rather full of himself.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Lol! I was thinking about the same thing. I do read Thurrott's site for MS-related news. But his recent "reviews" of the L830 is also kind of ridiculous. And, he seems to be a rather intolerant person - you can see this in some of the responses he has in the comments section of his site. Seems to be a fellow who is rather full of himself.

Sorry, wrong post. Lol

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Agreed, I couldn't stand that episode. The things he was saying about the Band were just flat out stupid and wrong.

"The band sucks because it's so awesome"

Is basically what his argument was.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Thurrott needs to be taken for what he is - a self proclaimed expert who was cut off from insider information by Microsoft several years ago. Any benefit he may offer needs to balanced against the fact that he has obviously held a grudge. He is not an insider, nor an expert, just another user who likes to hear himself talk. Does he still offer useful tips at times? The answer is yes. Would I treat any review he might offer as more meaningful than one from some random consumer in a Microsoft Store? That answer is unfortunately no.

As for the weight of the device, I somehow expect some of the same people complaining about it being heavy, will be silent on the subject when Apple's product hits the market next year. Does anyone really think a large face stainless steel device that is just about as thick as two iPhone 6s stacked together will weigh less than the Microsoft Band? In any case, if anyone really thinks a 2.12 ounce device is just too heavy, they have bigger problems than the weight.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I happen to agree with Paul Thurrott on his views of the band, however I am not into worry and fuss over my health. So he didn't give the Band a good review. You can look to the many Good reviews he has given to Microsoft Products, Devices. and Services.

As to Thurrott being an Insider, he does get back room notice. Any beef that was in the past has been forgotten. Also why he was one of the few who was invited to the Launch of Enterprise Windows 10.

What I find most shocking is that David Pogue has given 2 straight good reviews to Microsoft Products.....Surface 3 and now The Band.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I happen to agree with Paul Thurrott on his views of the band, however I am not into worry and fuss over my health. So he didn't give the Band a good review. You can look to the many Good reviews he has given to Microsoft Products, Devices. and Services.

As to Thurrott being an Insider, he does get back room notice. Any beef that was in the past has been forgotten. Also why he was one of the few who was invited to the Launch of Enterprise Windows 10.

What I find most shocking is that David Pogue has given 2 straight good reviews to Microsoft Products.....Surface 3 and now The Band.

I'm not a fitness person either and I love my Band. And after his review I was expecting it to be horribly uncomfortable. But I find it widely comfortable, certainly just as comfortable as any other fancy watch. And it's probably half the weight of my fancy steel watch.

I don't mind if he doesn't like something. He's certainly given perfectly reasonable reviews on other MS products, good and bad.

But if you listen to that Windows Weekly podcast, his complaints about the Band are just straight up ridiculous.

It's one thing to not like something, or point out it's weaknesses. But he goes on to ***** about everything that is actually good about it. All the things people are praising the Band for are things he's complaining about it.

It's like buying a muscle car and ******** because it doesn't get good gas mileage or that it's too fast.

It's stupid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo