MS Band vs Fitbit - Your thoughts ?

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I had a FitBit One (until it had had one too many washes and failed) - used in conjunction with MyFitnessPal. I also own a Samsung Gear 2, that was paired with a Note 3 (now sold). The Gear 2 was absolute rubbish for many reasons and never worked properly. Samsung now seem to bring a new model out every 3 months or so.

I'm now the very happy owner of a Lumia 930 and looking again for a fitness/companion for my Lumia 930. My old FitBit worked fine, but had no integration with messaging, calls, etc with my phone. MY Gear 2 could do the phone integration bit OK, but the fitness, HRM part was next to useless.

Looking at the current and future FitBit devices and the MS Band, the band (with it's bad points) is looking like my next 'gamble'. I'm trying to confirm if it will integrate with MyFitnessPal - if it doesn't it may be ruled out.

Still given that the MS Band is sold out and no launch date for UK is known, I have time for some more research - rather than an impulse buy.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Clive,
When it comes to a Windows Phone, your choice is Fitbit or the Microsoft Band. I have used both ( Fitbit Zip, One and Charge ). I found the One worked OK for my needs, but gave it to one of my sons when I got the Charge. Because it almost instantly marked up the screen significantly, it went back a few days later ( and there were a few other issues and support is a known deficit for Fitbit ). Their software, however, is good.

So now I'm only using my Microsoft Band. Here are the issues, so far, and what I've discovered.
1) "Clunky" - This seems to be the most common complaint. Yes, it is bigger and bulkier than the other bands, but I wear it face down which makes it easy to read, and I've quickly adapted to it. When I'm typing I can feel it, but it isn't a problem. Otherwise it never bothers me. It might be tight under long sleeved shirts with a tight button.
2) Battery life - I do programming so I do have some extended periods of time when I'm on my keyboard. During one of those periods I put the band on the charger. Thus, its not a problem. It might be a bit more annoying if you travel or are always on the go, but aside from that, it keeps the charge. I don't use the GPS so that is not an issue for me.
3) Software - This is an initial release, and the software should see some changes pretty consistently in the coming months. With the new release schedule for all software, MS is keeping us updated all of the time. I expect the same with the band. In fact, there was an update yesterday on the uploading software for Windows, so that would signal, to me, that a new release may be coming soon.
4) Integration - I have a Fitbit scale, and like you, I use MyFitnessPal. Fitbit ties it all together well. The Band is a work in progress. So far, if you do an activity, it will report the calorie burn to MyFitnessPal. That works fine. Steps are not transferred. In addition, the MyHealth app does not, yet, track calories consumed. This is a first release, and I expect that to improve. Steps do need to count in MFP. For now, you can trick it. If you have a walk, or a ride, start the activity, do it, then stop it. The calories consumed will transfer to MFP.
5) Online - So far there is no online portal to the data. However, an early interview said that would be available in early 2015.

So, my conclusion ? If you are OK with being a part of the evolution process, the Band may be satisfying for you. Otherwise, you are limited to Fitbit with your phone. There are other products out there, but in my communications with them they basically indicated they had no plans to integrate to our phones ( and I have no intention of changing ).

I hope this helps.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have not tried the Band while cycling, however I have a sneaking suspicion it might not meet your needs because the only mode that tracks you using GPS is the run mode, but I think this will do odd things to your step count, while the general exercise mode would keep track of your heart rate and such and treats steps differently, doesn't have the option at the moment to track GPS data.

That being said I could be completely off on that because I haven't cycled with it.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Cycling is something i would want too, if the band comes to the UK. Wonder if it could be integrated at a later date if not working now.

Hate gadgets, pretty sure i don't need this.......................but i'm a bloke!!!!!

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I am interested in the new Fitbit Surge and would want it to replace my current sports watch and heart rate monitor with chest band I use when running ... but I also need it to do that very basic thing of telling me the time and telling me the time accurately. How do these Fitbit products make sure they keep time accurately compared to my current radio-controlled sports watch? Do they sync with your computer using its time server setting? Or do they sync with the mobile using its current time (which for me is often an unacceptable minute or so slow)?

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
You would probably have to ask that question on the Fitbit forums. Before investing in the Surge, read the posts on the Fitbit forum. They will help you understand if it is a good option for you. Some people like it, some are returning it, and the reporting is questioned by many.

campbellc

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in the new Fitbit Surge and would want it to replace my current sports watch and heart rate monitor with chest band I use when running ... but I also need it to do that very basic thing of telling me the time and telling me the time accurately. How do these Fitbit products make sure they keep time accurately compared to my current radio-controlled sports watch? Do they sync with your computer using its time server setting? Or do they sync with the mobile using its current time (which for me is often an unacceptable minute or so slow)?
I have the Surge (upgraded from the One) and I love it. Not sure how it keeps accurate time but it just does. The time on both if my fitbit products has always been accurate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb