How long will the battery last with GPS continually running?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I do a lot of hikes in the 14 to 16 mile range or sometimes even longer. One problem I have had with using GPS on my phone to track hikes like that is that it drains the battery so quickly. Has anyone tested how long the battery will last on the band with the GPS running for six to eight hours or longer?

I don't have a band yet but I'm planning to get one as soon as I can get one at my local Microsoft store.
1 turn off the display
2 airplane mode
3 begin recording

use a sane distance between poiNts like 30 meters, and whatever software that is actually GOOD at recording wIthout killing the battery.

the display eats battery 5x faster than the gps receIver in my exPerience.

also being on the fringe of cellular (lte especially) service kills it.

the gps antenna alone is very low for consumptionn

I routinely track routes for 8-12 hours without losing more than 20% battery

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
1 turn off the display
2 airplane mode
3 begin recording

use a sane distance between poiNts like 30 meters, and whatever software that is actually GOOD at recording wIthout killing the battery.

the display eats battery 5x faster than the gps receIver in my exPerience.

also being on the fringe of cellular (lte especially) service kills it.

the gps antenna alone is very low for consumptionn

I routinely track routes for 8-12 hours without losing more than 20% battery

What exactly does airplane mode do on the band? Turn off bluetooth? Does it still allow GPS?

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I also keep it in to see time and pace. That's what it's there for. Defeats the purpose if I have to turn the screen off.

The screen will still turn on every mile and show you stats for a few second and you can turn it on manually as well. Not as convenient but it should allow much better battery life.

mfm77

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
The screen will still turn on every mile and show you stats for a few second and you can turn it on manually as well. Not as convenient but it should allow much better battery life.

I think it also depends on the distance. Shorter runs might allow for a continual display; longer runs definitely should mean the display is off, especially if GPS is on.

Winty

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old post but i just did a test with mine today. Only a 3 mile run but my garmin 620 had a lower heart rate vs the band. I did notice the gps lock on the band was ****. It took like 2 minutes to get a gps lock. I used that time to stretch a bit and ya battery life with gps on is not great.

cardingtr

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Update: Today I run it to drain. I charged it to 100% overnight then turned it off until right before the run. I had the clock mode on, GPS on.
Around mile 17 of easy run it warned of "charge now.." at mile 22.4 it turned completely off by itself. That is 4:03 hours. I didnt press any button on stoplights and bathroom breaks.
So, this is not good for 3:45 and above runners which is the majority.
I am now planning to sell it. Don't get me wrong, it an awesome device if you are not planning on running long distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss