Accuracy on a treadmill

animan

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Just completed a 15 min run on a treadmill. Treadmill readings show that I went 0.5 mile, while the band only registers 0.09miles. The step count barely went up from previous step count. The calorie count was also half of what the treadmill was showing. The HR was pretty close though.

What gives? I was holding on to the treadmill handle bars during the walk, not sure if the hands have to be moving for it to register the steps correctly.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Dima Habenko

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Yep, hands on the bar. Problem with all fitness devices, not just the band. The sensor can not count steps if there is no sufficient arm movement. Next time try to use Exercise mode, let us know if you see difference.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
What gives? I was holding on to the treadmill handle bars during the walk, not sure if the hands have to be moving for it to register the steps correctly.

That very well could be the reason. Pedometers count steps with the use of accelerometers, so if the device isn't moving in the way it would expect to be moved while taking steps, then it's not registering those movements as steps.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
What mode did you use? I think "run" uses GPS for distance. As others have said, if the motion isn't what it expects, it's not going to do an accurate step count.

animan

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

What mode did you use? I think "run" uses GPS for distance. As others have said, if the motion isn't what it expects, it's not going to do an accurate step count.

Yes, I did use Run mode with GPS enabled. Figured I would try if the GPS works or not and it does... even indoors. The GPS possibly accounts for the wrong distance reading, but steps & calories should not have been affected. I will try again tomorrow with GPS off and also try exercise mode as was suggested. My wife's fitbit, that she clips to her belt, works quite well on the treadmill so would be a little disappointed if I cannot use the band on the treadmill.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My wife's fitbit, that she clips to her belt, works quite well on the treadmill so would be a little disappointed if I cannot use the band on the treadmill.
The hips have motion that can be sensed by some devices. But if it's on your wrist and your hand is holding a stationary object, there's not going to be much motion to sense.

If you can hold with just one hand and let your Band hand dangle and swing normally, it should work. Or if you could use an elliptical with the moving handholds.

Jason Hoffman2

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Fitbit works fine on the treadmill. I can't get any steps registered on my band when using my treaddesk. Honestly a pretty massive disappointment.

Abel Wang

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I went on a 4+ mile run last night on the treadmill and the band tracked it just fine. I did not hold onto the handrail. At the end of the 4 mile run, it was almost spot on with what the treadmill said. I have also gone on multiple 4+ mile runs outside with GPS turned on.

--abel

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
How do you set the band for your treadmill runs? Maybe some folks are doing it wrong.

I went on a 4+ mile run last night on the treadmill and the band tracked it just fine. I did not hold onto the handrail. At the end of the 4 mile run, it was almost spot on with what the treadmill said. I have also gone on multiple 4+ mile runs outside with GPS turned on.

--abel

swndg86

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
GPS should be off on a treadmill according to the Microsoft support documentation. I ran on a treadmill tonight and the Band matched the treadmill data and my Polar HRM.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yep, hands on the bar. Problem with all fitness devices, not just the band. The sensor can not count steps if there is no sufficient arm movement. Next time try to use Exercise mode, let us know if you see difference.

Buy a large and see if it will fit on your leg? That way it will register every step for sure.

swndg86

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Step 1: On your Microsoft Band, press the power button.
Step 2: Swipe left, and tap the Run Tile .
Step 3: Swipe left to see Run with GPS (optional).

Tap to turn Off GPS for running on a treadmill.
Tap to turn On GPS for running any distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb