My wife's band died today.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine is still doing fine, but hers went black (with nearly a full charge) and now won't start again. I tried the trick where you hold the power button and the action button for twenty seconds then press the power button; sometimes, that did nothing; other times, it gave me a black screen with two flashing white arrows. I couldn't do anything with that.

I tried an online chat, but after I explained the problem, the dude said "one moment please," then disappeared for 15 minutes, then my chat session ended. Not very helpful.

We'll take the band back to the MS store tomorrow. But I'm not sure what good it will do, since they are out of stock and can't give us a replacement.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Might've been overcharged or some sort. Does it get hot? If its hot, let it cool then it will turn on, then exchange it.. battery might be the problem. Probably a lemon.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Take it back... Sometimes stores have stock just for exchanges... They are sometimes in brown boxes or non retail boxes... Apple does this... Even on launch, they will have a few in brown boxes for the warranty exchanges... They know no one wants to wait in line, get a lemon and and then be tuck for weeks...

Now, maybe they will maybe they wont... But hopefully it is nt water damage or something your wife accidently did. I have a warranty for mine and my girlfriend's band. Now... This early is no extended warranty required unless it is accidental damage... Otherwise if it really died, you are covered for a year... Easy.

No worries other Han your wife being without her band and the user experience... Leave chat alone if you are going to the store... It will only make your experience worse... Now, chat may do all the store will do if they do not have stock... Send one to you in a couple days. And then you send that one back...

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I let it set for a while, and it still wouldn't turn on. Then I plugged it back in, and suddenly it came on and said the batter had died. And yet the battery shows 80% charged. Weird. It does sound like it's some battery issues. I'll take it back (or at least take it back as soon as they have some replacements in stock!

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I let it set for a while, and it still wouldn't turn on. Then I plugged it back in, and suddenly it came on and said the batter had died. And yet the battery shows 80% charged. Weird. It does sound like it's some battery issues. I'll take it back (or at least take it back as soon as they have some replacements in stock!

It is Def a battery issue. If it overheats, and drains the battery within seconds, it's battery issue. Happened to a Lumia of mine. Exchanged it and this other one hadn't had any overheating.

spicyrudy

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I received my Microsoft Band as a Christmas present. I was so excited with the features it has, but just a few nights back, I woke up and found that my Microsoft Band had died. I knew that it wasn't the battery that had discharged, as the night before I checked and it was about 50% full. Just to be certain, I connect the band to the power source to charge it, and tried to turn it on manually, but the screen would not light up. I also tried to turn it on by pressing the power button with the second button together, but that also did not resolved my issue.

My next move was to reach out to Microsoft, which I did via their chat room. After explaining the problem to the Support Rep, she also asked me to press the two button together to reset my band to see if this resolved the issue, but it didn't. I only felt the band vibrate and the sensor light turn green, but the screen would light up. In short, the Support Rep took my information down and told me that I was going to be shipped a replacement band.

Conclusion, I thought that my issue was an isolated problem, but after reading your post, I think Microsoft has a faulty product that they may need to recall their devices all together.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar problem several weeks back, and metal was also wearing through the wristband. I did the chat and they were very helpful, offering an exchange. I said I would contact them for one if the store did not have one in stock, so they gave me the case number.

I then went to the store and walked out with a replacement in less than 15 minutes. They also re-set the warranty and support expiration dates to extend from the time of exchange.

I've used Chat 3 times and each one has been a very positive experience. Except for the Band dying issue, each time my problem was 100% resolved.

I find Chat useful. Normal store "phone support" has been problematic until I get them to finally route me to the local store, or back to a corporate employee. The contracted service providers are not helpful to Microsoft's reputation.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
A bit of an over reaction - recall all Bands because yours and someone else's are defective. FWIW, I've had mine since the day it was made available without any issues.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Conclusion, I thought that my issue was an isolated problem, but after reading your post, I think Microsoft has a faulty product that they may need to recall their devices all together.

Baa haaa haaaaa! Are you really serious? These things get knocked, thrown around, scratched, bashed and who knows what else. How can ANY of us be certain that you've taken care of the device. I can imagine your thoughts now, "How dare you..."

To suggest a complete recall is madness based on such a small amount of posts. Also you've only made 1 post and that says a lot.

​P.s. Mine still works fine.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Had the same thing happen to me yesterday afternoon.

The band shut down and would not respond. I plugged it into a USB port on my Surface and the band indicated that the battery had died, but it had 80% battery life?

I performed a factory reset and deleted all data, when the band restarted it said it had a 100% charge(strange).

Next time I reset it I'll follow the instructions provided by Microsoft: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2Fsupport%2Fphone-app%2Freset&token=L0yNnIRm

I contacted support and they said it may be a firmware issue and that there's another method for resetting the band that may clear up the issue, but I needed to have the USB cable on-hand(which I didn't). I bet it's just the "2-button press for 10 seconds" method, but maybe I'll contact support and ask. I purchased my band this past Saturday and want to make sure it is good for the long haul.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

I lol a bit..

So because in a place where you can expect issue to turn up two similar instances show up and we have a structural issue and a callback should be done? You serious?!

It's tech, so it break. sh*t happens. Get it replaced and be done with it.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
My Band started going black about 6 weeks ago. I was wearing it and it gave a very weak vibration. Couldn't wake it up. Put it on charge and it showed 80%. Take it back off and get the weak/slow vibrate then back to black screen. Several resets and charging schemes and it would work for a while then fail again. Took it to the MS Store 4 weeks ago and they gave me a new charging cable to try to rule that out. The clerk did mention the bumps on the metal charging plate and indicated that they only occurred on the early production bands. I suggested that the bumps were preventing solid contact with the charger. He tried putting it on the freestanding display charger and it wouldn't stay connect (weak magnetic bond). I left with the new charging cable and things were fine for about a week. Now it is doing it again and I'm heading back to request a replacement since I bought the protection plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos