Band authentication needed

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi.. it sure seems like the band should have some kind of password or authentication to get into it. If it was lost or stolen, there are excerpts of my data in it and someone could drain your Starbucks budget. That sounds a little corny, but I sometimes load $50 on my card so I don't have to reload it frequently.

Maybe like the picture authentication on Windows 8, some kind of tap pattern to unlock (or like on an Android phone I suppose).

-m

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi.. it sure seems like the band should have some kind of password or authentication to get into it. If it was lost or stolen, there are excerpts of my data in it and someone could drain your Starbucks budget. That sounds a little corny, but I sometimes load $50 on my card so I don't have to reload it frequently.

Maybe like the picture authentication on Windows 8, some kind of tap pattern to unlock (or like on an Android phone I suppose).

-m

That would defeat the purpose of having information at a glance, just to protect starbucks credit.

How would you lose something that is on your wrist?

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Then at least the Starbucks app needs some authentication around it.

Many offices require more security around their e-mail accounts... The way the Band handles this I'm sure would not pass.

-m

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Provided your Starbucks card is registered (a requirement to earn rewards anyway) your credit is protected. Its a simple step to report it missing and stop transactions occurring.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, maybe what it needs is a 'time bomb' type of security...if it hasn't seen the phone its connected to in say a week, or 48 hours, or something, it requires a 4 digit pin to unlock it...3 wrong tries, and it resets...

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
How about if it locks if it can't get a heart beat? That would keep it unlocked as long as it's on your wrist. Granted it wouldn't lock as soon as you took it off, but it would lock within 10 minutes.

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
How about if it locks if it can't get a heart beat? That would keep it unlocked as long as it's on your wrist. Granted it wouldn't lock as soon as you took it off, but it would lock within 10 minutes.
So a thief would just have to wear it to get through the security?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
So a thief would just have to wear it to get through the security?

The operative word would be "keep it unlocked". A thief would have to wear it before the timeout.

If there was a switch to detect the clap opening, I'd use that. Perhaps the skin measurement samples more frequently. But having to unlock the band each time you want to use it while it's still on your wrist is a deal-killer. Locking it time it's removed seems like a better idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs