[BAND] Charge is stuck on 80%?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It's been 2 hours now, and the charge still says its at 80%. I drained it all out today and plugged it in. But I am using my surface pro 3 USB to charge it, so it may not be giving enough power to it. Should I try the outlet?
I'm concerned about using a high voltage-outlet-USB plug. I think I used one used for tablet ones on a cellphone and it overheated. Is this for real or a myth?

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I had mine plugged in for 2+ hours over the weekend and it never showed 100% until I turned it off and back on. I think there's something wrong with the meter. I've had this thing 5 days and not once has it charged to 100% without me turning it off and back on.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I had mine plugged in for 2+ hours over the weekend and it never showed 100% until I turned it off and back on. I think there's something wrong with the meter. I've had this thing 5 days and not once has it charged to 100% without me turning it off and back on.

A quick tutorial on charging li-ion batteries. It doesn't surprise me in the least that turning it off and back on results in "100%". When the charging is reset, the charge chip sees a high battery voltage and refuses to charge any further. "No further charge" becomes "100%". But on the next cycle, it will again seek the end of stage 2 which is defined by the current going into the battery during a charge.

If someone can find out the charge chip used in the Band, we can dig in further. (I'm a hardware guy by nature.)

It's possible you have a leaky battery such that the current never gets down to .1C. Then again, maybe it just needs more time. While not getting to 100% means you have less power for this charge, it does give you longer battery life.

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
A quick tutorial on charging li-ion batteries. It doesn't surprise me in the least that turning it off and back on results in "100%". When the charging is reset, the charge chip sees a high battery voltage and refuses to charge any further. "No further charge" becomes "100%". But on the next cycle, it will again seek the end of stage 2 which is defined by the current going into the battery during a charge.

If someone can find out the charge chip used in the Band, we can dig in further. (I'm a hardware guy by nature.)

It's possible you have a leaky battery such that the current never gets down to .1C. Then again, maybe it just needs more time. While not getting to 100% means you have less power for this charge, it does give you longer battery life.

I know little about lithium ion batteries. How does this give me better battery life?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I know little about lithium ion batteries. How does this give me better battery life?

The higher the battery charge, the faster the chemical reaction that ultimately ends the battery's useful life. That's the primary reason that batteries are shipped with a 50% charge. If they were charged to 100%, they would have a shorter shelf life.

I should add this is completely opposite from lead-acid batteries where it's desirable to keep them fully charged at all times.

lostlogik

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Left mine on and it took about an hour and a half at 80% before it flipped to 100%. I rarely charge it that far, being happy with 80% in half an hour on a daily basis.

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine was charging fine for weeks, yesterday I notice an issue with charging. It only charges between 5-10 minutes then stops charging all together. Gonna reset the device to see if it gets fixed.

MS really needs an update asap.

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
My watch too gets stuck at 80% but I have decided rather then go through the pain of turning it off then back on to see if its 100% I just check what time I put the watch on to charge and give it an hour or so. Basically just because its stuck at 80% doesnt mean its not charging further. It could be a software not hardware glitch.

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I am charging from 0 up to 100 today. It showed 80% after about 30 minutes of charging, but when I restarted the band, the percentage dropped to 60. Something odd is happening with the charge percentages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos