How can I see time of day when running?

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Help please!

I am running outside in my lunch time. I have to know what time of day it is. It seems like a very basic functionality.
Unfortunately, I cannot say what time of day it is when running outdoors with Microsoft Band. The display is bright enough, but when I switch to the Watch Mode, the display becomes completely dim.

Am I missing something? I don't want to wear 2 watches!!!

Thanks,
S.

kneeldug

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I ran into the same problem when at the gym. While in a general workout mode, I could not find the time or date.
Microsoft is known for multitasking...but then they let this happen.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
During your run, you can hit the action button, then the back arrow to go into the main menu, where you can scroll to the watch.

Of course, the above is somewhat clunky. I think you're better off doing what I do - figure out how much time you have to run/workout, and just have your run/workout display the timer prominently. I work out in the morning, so if I start at 6:15, I know that I have about 30 minutes. If the timer hits 20:00 ..... 10 minutes left.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
During your run, you can hit the action button, then the back arrow to go into the main menu, where you can scroll to the watch.
Thank you, but sorry, it doesn't work: (in addition to too many clicks,) it pauses the stopwatch.

If the timer hits 20:00...
yes, I understand, but I would expect to be able to see time of day at any time, even when running.

There is an option to turn on the Watch Mode (middle button), but the display is sooooooo dim, nothing can be read outdoor.

Microsoft, please fix it:
- either add time of day to running metrics, or
- make the Watch Mode brighter during running/exercise.

S.

Dima Habenko

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
It's actually very easy. If you set your band to have watch on (in settings), you can start run and then hit the display power button. Your run is still active (including GPS, HRM, etc.), but as long as your display is off, you would see current time.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
[[It's actually very easy.]]

Not that easy. Please read the post. I've tried the method you describe. Unfortunately, after you click the middle button, the watch is very dim, like 5% backlight, impossible to see outdoors.

S.

Dima Habenko

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
[[It's actually very easy.]]

Not that easy. Please read the post. I've tried the method you describe. Unfortunately, after you click the middle button, the watch is very dim, like 5% backlight, impossible to see outdoors.

S.

Sorry, I did not read the whole post, just the topic. Did you set up your band to have auto-brightness? Mine, while dim in watch mode, is very readable when outside, even in full sun. Granted, it's winter time and it has been rather grim weather around here for the past couple of weeks, but I never once felt that my watch display was too dim.

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, Dima.

Yes, I checked the brightness setting and it is Auto Set. However, the brightness setting applies to the 'active' display. When I am running, I can see how the brightness changes. But, when I switch the watch into the Watch Mode (middle button) to see time of day, immediately brightness drops to like 5%.

It looks like there is no Auto Brightness for the Watch Mode. If any Microsoft representative reads it, am I right?

S.

Dima Habenko

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
You're probably right and MS may turn down display in watch mode and disable auto-brightness sensor to save on battery. How do you wear you band - display up or down? And also did you apply the protective screen? I wear my band - display under the wrist and have to turn palm towards my face to read the display - this way display is not staring at the sky but rather towards my chest. And I did notice that the protective screen is very good at eliminating any reflections - I can see none. That may help too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss