Anyone developed a rash/bumps?

leigcker

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Contacted Microsoft today and have been told will be in contact with me again within the next 2 days (Rapid Response Team) to get more info and investigate further. I did in the meantime have it on the other wrist but bumps (not red and no where near as bad) have started developing so have removed for now. I will let u know more as I learn of any new info.

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I hope this isn't a wide-spread issue like Fitbit Force's model!
You might suffer the same symptoms from other devices made of similar materials. My mum is only able to wear gold jewellery, other metals cause irritation. I'd suggest asking Microsoft to confirm what material has been used in the area you're seeing a reaction to and getting tested for an intolerance.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
You might suffer the same symptoms from other devices made of similar materials. My mum is only able to wear gold jewellery, other metals cause irritation.

On the other hand, I can wear anything BUT gold. Cheap nickel jewelry? No prob. Gold? Rises welts and blisters. I suspect my issue with the FitBit Charge was due to what looked like gold plating on the charger contacts -- I got twin blisters there.

We're all different, leigcker, and if you can't wear the Band, that doesn't mean you won't be able to wear another product. I would suggest giving your skin time to heal in between products.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I am going to do what I have done in the past and what my wife does on her watches and such.

I'll mask off the contact points and areas that need to be clear and put a thin layer of clear nail polish on the rest of the metallic parts.

I'll let you know how that goes. :D

Shaun Buckle

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Photo on 29-04-2015 at 08.38.jpg

This is mine that I just noticed today.. the band had been a bit itchy for a few days but I never thought to look at my wrist.
Googled, and got this forum.
I'll try the Clean & Care advice and the switching wrists while sleeping (good idea) and see how it goes.

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to post one last update as the OP. Between getting a brand new Band (replaced free-of-charge under Microsoft Complete Care), listening to the suggestions from posters here, and general use, my wrist and forearm are rash and bump free!

If anyone else has been getting a rash and/or bumps, I will outline a few of the suggestions that I believe really helped me.
1.) Getting a new Band - whether or not the original Band was causing it, idk, but the bumps went away after 2 days with the new Band. Rash remained for quite a while though. This will ensure that whatever is causing the irritation to dissipate quickly.
2.) Switching off wrists when sleeping - this may cause irritation on other arm (it did for me initially with original Band; went away when I got a replacement Band)
3.) Cleaning the Band with 91% alcohol you can purchase at local convenience store
4.) Cleaning the wrist and forearm where the rash/bumps appears with soap and water multiple times a day until it disappears
5.) Time - I think this was the kicker for most of it, my skin just had to get used to the Band being worn for so long.

If anyone has any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I developed small bumps / rash on the inside of my wrist where the GSR / charger port is located.
It was due to sleeping with the band and and being too tight on the wrist. After changing the tightness, it got better and now it's pretty much non existent. The only issue I have from time to time is that it just starts to itch and then I have to take the band off and let some air on the wrist.
I have pretty sensitive skin that develops a rash and bumps quickly when I'm sweating and it can't properly dry off so it's fine.

But there is no issue with any metal / rubber allergies, so I'm happy for that. Hope you guys clean your Bands when charging. I clean mine with a wet napkin before charging so the contacts don't corrode or start to bubble up.

Regards,

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I did not develop a rash or anything, just have those bumps on the GSR Sensor and the HR Sensor. Hopefully now that they sell the Band in the UK, I can get mine exchanged more easily (from Germany), even so it was bought in the US

grumtrias

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Bought mine in US 2 months ago. Living in Belgium. also got bumps on metal around charging port and HR sensor.

just logged on to band support page, filled in description of issue and my Belgium shipping address and Voila, printed a label to drop-off package in any Belgian post office to get it shipped and serviced/replaced.

Should not be an issue for Germany. just make sure you do not select "physical damage" as description. chose "other" and provide proper description.

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Bought mine in US 2 months ago. Living in Belgium. also got bumps on metal around charging port and HR sensor.

just logged on to band support page, filled in description of issue and my Belgium shipping address and Voila, printed a label to drop-off package in any Belgian post office to get it shipped and serviced/replaced.

Should not be an issue for Germany. just make sure you do not select "physical damage" as description. chose "other" and provide proper description.

Did you get yours back already? How long did it take (I can't live without the band :p)? Mine arrived today at the service center, if I recall correct I read that it shouldn't take more then 7 days to get a replacement...

And the better question is, how can we make sure that does not happen to the new band aswell? I was cleaning mine almost every day with a Q-Tip and some water, but it happened anyways...

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Did you get yours back already? How long did it take (I can't live without the band :p)? Mine arrived today at the service center, if I recall correct I read that it shouldn't take more then 7 days to get a replacement...

And the better question is, how can we make sure that does not happen to the new band aswell? I was cleaning mine almost every day with a Q-Tip and some water, but it happened anyways...

Don't use straight water to clean the Band. Try to use 91% rubbing alcohol that you can get at any convenience store. Regular water will corrode the little metal pins and other parts.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
can't answer your first part. I am in the US. I got the bumps as well after several months. I used rubbing alcohol to clean the band after working out. I was able to get it replaced and by temporarily charging my CC for the price of the Band I got the replacement before I shipped the old one. Not sure if that is an option for international.

With my second band I am already seeing bumps again after two months, mostly on the sensor side, not the charging part. I'm afraid this is related to my sweat and it will happen again. For now I live with the bumps and just ignore them. If they get out of band, ahem, hand, I will replace again.

Don't use straight water to clean the Band. Try to use 91% rubbing alcohol that you can get at any convenience store. Regular water will corrode the little metal pins and other parts.

sorry, but anybody using water should be fine after drying it. Even your 91% rubbing alcohol contains water. Your skin is constantly perspiring. Water is not the reason why bumps occur, otherwise the problem would occur for everybody. I've been using rubbing alcohol all along. I think it's the salt from the sweat that causes it for some people. Depending on your diet and medication you may take there could be all kinds of weird stuff in sweat.

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have to say, the exchange was super quick. I dropped the package of at the UPS store monday morning and got my new one today (plus thursday was a national holiday here in Germany), so I am positively surprised how quick that went (seems they have some in storage in Germany even so the Band is not oficially sold here^^)

Only negative thing, I didn't get my screen protector back/a new one (maybe my fault since I left it on the Band I sent in)

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
can't answer your first part. I am in the US. I got the bumps as well after several months. I used rubbing alcohol to clean the band after working out. I was able to get it replaced and by temporarily charging my CC for the price of the Band I got the replacement before I shipped the old one. Not sure if that is an option for international.

With my second band I am already seeing bumps again after two months, mostly on the sensor side, not the charging part. I'm afraid this is related to my sweat and it will happen again. For now I live with the bumps and just ignore them. If they get out of band, ahem, hand, I will replace again.

sorry, but anybody using water should be fine after drying it. Even your 91% rubbing alcohol contains water. Your skin is constantly perspiring. Water is not the reason why bumps occur, otherwise the problem would occur for everybody. I've been using rubbing alcohol all along. I think it's the salt from the sweat that causes it for some people. Depending on your diet and medication you may take there could be all kinds of weird stuff in sweat.

I think a damp cloth is fine, so long as you dry it well afterward. Anything with alcohol causes skin problems for me, so I don't use it, and I think it could cause problems with the rubber anyways.

Definitely agree re: sweat. Everyone has different levels of acidity etc. in their sweat. Luckily mine hasn't caused any problems with the Band so far.

Tsanislav

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I got my band few days ago and on the second day I got severe skin rash
WP_20150515_13_42_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20150516_14_20_14_Pro.jpg

I was wearing it watch-like, with the screen on the top of the wrist. At first I had it too tightened, so I decided to try it on the right wrist, more loosened with the screen on the inside. Woke up this morning to see this :
WP_20150516_14_20_29_Pro.jpg

The band is small size and I was cleaning it two-three times a day (been charged only twice so far).
I contacted Microsoft Support yesterday and they will get back to me on Wednesday, but I do not know if I should ask for a replacement as this is something the skin will get used to eventually (?) or just let it go. However, I never got that from wearing a watch. Totally a shame, as I think it is a nice product.

Tsanislav

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it itches quite a lot!

I will give it another try following your suggestions.
I also plan to order a protector for the charging connector to limit the contact between the metal and my skin. Assuming the GSR is still going to work though. We will see how it goes, but I guess I am going to need to give the skin a week to recover before I try anything.

How much time did it take for your rash blisters to disappear?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb