A couple of questions for Micoroft Band owners

Lerac1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

After being disappointed a couple of times not getting Microsoft band watch because of the annoying order system and now they also stopped selling online I have a couple of questions about the watch that I hope I can get from owners. This way I can decide rather to let a friend of mine buy it for me who is going to the States (Atlanta). I read already this might be a failure also.

There is also a competitor named fitbit surge. I am one of the lucky few who gets the option to buy one since I subscribed early. Right now I am leaning more and more towards the fitbit but having a hard time to compare. So here are a couple of questions that could help make a decision. Main reason why I am leaning now towards fitbit is because I am buying a sport watch for sports functionality and not smartphone functionality.

- How is software on windows pc? Can people show me a couple of screenshots with data in there?
- Does it show a map in in relation to bing maps or is also googlemaps possible? For where I live bing maps is useless.
- is the data a summery or can I see also some kind of graph showing distance, speed, height and hearth rate at the same time? Talking about pc app in this case not phone.
- how much data does it save until you loose it. Meaning if i do a run with gps do I have to sync the same day? Want to able to use device without phone/pc as much as possible.
- can i run against myself. Like i run one route and the next day again can it tell me i am slower or faster then previous day?
- I assume you can't export any data for your own benefits or applications?
- Why did you not pick the fitbit surge besides it was not available yet. Most likely you will say price, more sensors and smartphone functionality. 7 days if you don't use gps vs 2 days is a lot better also waterproof and dust is better. I am really having a hard time picking either band or fitbit. I think fitbit is more of a sport watch.

I might have more questions later but these keep popping up for me. Thx ahead.

Red River

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Buy both. Play with them for few weeks, then sell the one you don't like. Probably you'll even earn a little bit more money when you sell it.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Currently they do not have the actual website up yet. So you can only look at your data on your phone right now. In theory, they will be releasing it in December.

I have not seen documentation that says how often we must sync it.

For running, the map will be colored coded to show where you were fast or slow. It will also give information about each mile along with overall. I believe there is altitude as well.

Lerac1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the information.

Last question can you charge and use all the features of the watch?

Last edited:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
- How is software on windows pc? Can people show me a couple of screenshots with data in there?
I understand you can sync using the PC, but there's currently nothing on the PC to see the data.

- Does it show a map in in relation to bing maps or is also googlemaps possible? For where I live bing maps is useless.
On my Android, the map says "Microsoft", so it sounds like it is Bing maps.

- is the data a summery or can I see also some kind of graph showing distance, speed, height and hearth rate at the same time? Talking about pc app in this case not phone.
Currently there is only phone. It has map, pace, heart rate, and "estimated elevation", all as graphs.

- how much data does it save until you loose it. Meaning if i do a run with gps do I have to sync the same day? Want to able to use device without phone/pc as much as possible.
Unknown. But if it's paired with your phone, it will sync automagically anytime you're in range of it with zero effort on your part. The old "Palm Pilot III" sync is gone (where you had to put it in a cradle and push a button to start an app.) And I say good riddance.

- can i run against myself. Like i run one route and the next day again can it tell me i am slower or faster then previous day?
No. It's a requested feature.

- I assume you can't export any data for your own benefits or applications?
Not currently.

- Why did you not pick the fitbit surge besides it was not available yet. Most likely you will say price, more sensors and smartphone functionality.
Honestly, I didn't know about it. I also like the direction Microsoft is going and it's history of welcoming everyone. I predict good things for it's Health app and HealthVault. Google tried and quit, and so far it looks like Apple will be "Members Only".

Since you're asking all about fitness features, maybe you'd be happier with something else. I'm more of a borderline couch potato looking to improve. The smartwatch features is what keeps it on my wrist all day. The fitness comes along for the ride without being intrusive. It's there when I want it without having to remember to bring it. And the automagic sync means I don't have to fuss with anything. I think it's a good all-around device, but it's not "best of breed" in either smart or fitness band. But it strikes me as silly to have two devices to do that and it does a reasonably good job in both.

Lerac1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Wow impressive droid42 thank you for taking the time answering all my questions in detail. You are correct to state I am very much interested in the running aspects of the watch. GPS is a must have, and indeed smart watch functionality for me is nice to have. Fitbit seems to be more closed then band and Microsoft seems to have the better software and connections with third party websites like runkeeper etc.

I was hoping I could also see data on my pc without having to sync watch with healthvauly but it seems we are still waiting for this to happen. But the future and support looks better. Biggest down site is battery, on the other hand I will use GPS most of the time and most watches unless big will not last more then 5 hours anyway.

Defante nice to know it will work with while charging meaning my watch can also be used for tracking my roadtrip for instance or sailing with ofcourse protection of a cover. Just connect it to batter pack and it will last a lot longer or to power of car. Good to know this works because sometimes they can only be charged.

mijacs thank you for this information i know fitbit can save a couple of days but not yet know how much the microsoft band can remember untill you loose the data. Ofcourse syncing is easy but sometimes i am just lazy or too busy. Charching it every day will be a challange

badm0use i saw rhese links also but not everything was there . I am sorry if i double posted some questions. I think a lot of people only look at the features but don't show the results always. Watch is only as good as the software around it. Do wish the watch would display map in googlemaps also. Perhaps runkeeper can offer a solution. I was always using endomundo this will be changing shortly

Just for people to know I decided against ordering fitbit surge in the end because the future prospects of the Microsoft band software around the watch. Also fitbit was lying about 5 ATM, I hate companies who do false advertisements. Only reason to buy fitbit surge is that battery life is 7 days without gps usage, automatic sleep detector and it fits more like a watch.

In the end I think the possibilities and fiture Microsoft support makes me buy the band. Only downside I am using blackberry q10 let's see if that works otherwise i will need a new phone. Believe it or not i am leaning towards windows phone. But sadly there is no model on market right now that fits my wishes.

Thank you all again in helping me making a choice. Now keeping my fingers crossed in getting on using friends who happen to go to the states.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05