Microsoft Band Heart Rate Display - "Heart Outline" vs "Filled Heart"

Jaylen Smith

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know how to interpret the heart rate displayed on the screen when the heart is in "outline mode" compared to the heart rate when it's "filled in"?

Here's a of my band showing a heart rate of 150 in which an outline of the heart is shown.
Sorry for the fuzzy picture but I was too lazy to take another one.

150 Outline.jpg

Here's a shot showing the heart rate at 133. Notice the heart is "filled in" in this case.

133 Filled In.jpg

Currently I'm assuming the band is estimating the heart rate without detecting a pulse in cases when the heart "outline" is shown. Is that correct ?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the consensus is that 'open' means 'out of sync', i.e. trouble getting a reliable signal. When the heart is solid you should be able to more or less trust the reading.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Joe's right -- another way to confirm is press Power Button -> tap watch display -> scroll all the way right, and you should see either:

- open heart (blinking) + "Acquiring"

or

- filled heart (beating) + "Locked"

Sorry if you already knew that!

-Matt

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
When its filled in its locked, when its hollow it's acquiring. But it never drops. If you're in exercise mode it continues to use the other sensors to determine where your heart rate should be. I've watched it and its pretty accurate. In between sets it will slow down when you rest and I've it gets locked it's usually either right on, or within a few bpm.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I know I've seen the HR change while still in "Outline". All I can figure out is it's a measure of confidence that it's locked into your heart rate as opposed to other things that might interfere with measurement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6