Microsoft Band vs Fitbit Surge

Th3P

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
The surge for me is the only other device that I consider "competition" and definitely a device im keeping my eye on mainly due to the claims of the battery life and its form factor.
Initial preview/reviews are beginning to surface what I find interesting is peoples claims on battery life:-

"Surge is the biggest (and bulkiest) Fitbit wearable, and I initially found its size off-putting. I'm also skeptical of Fitbit's claim that the battery lasts "up to seven days." After a single day of heavy use, my battery was already half drained."

http://www.cio.com/article/2857676/mobile-apps/fitbit-surge-fitness-watch-early-hands-on-review.html

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
For my money, I'm going to pass on this version of Band and get the Fitbit Surge. The Surge is simply too thick, especially around the inner wrist area. The area I tend to rest on my desk when I'm on my computer. That slight pressure becomes more and more uncomfortable as the day goes on. It is about as thick as the Jawbone and as much as I like it, it was for me, uncomfortable under the wrist. When I saw the Band, it was the very first thing I noticed, it has that thick hard plastic like Jawbone and for that reason alone, I would have to pass on the Band. Fitbit Surge is it for me.

Th3P

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
You are right the main requirement for a fitness tracker is comfort as its requirement need to be worn for 24/7 I have been quite happy with the Microsoft Band however I do have large wrist so the screens design doesn't effect me but I can see how people with smaller wrists wouldn't get on with the device aswell.
That said alot of the reviews have slated the band and its design and comfort even through they have never personally worn the device and I honestly believe they would be surprised at the feeling of the device if they had, I've come from a Fitbit flex much lighter and smaller in design and its been no different apart from being concerned about the bezel face making contact and becoming scratched/damaged.
That said I will almost certainly go and try if not buy the Surge and make my own opinion after being put off the Band and then buying one to realise most of the reviews/opinions are not based on real world tests

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
​For me full compatibility with Windows Phone is the core criteria, everything else (e.g. comfort, functionality, etc) truly is secondary. I would of course pick up the more functional of WP-compatible devices, but I would want to draw out the entirety of what I pay for in a device. The concern I have with the Fitbit Surge is that I am not sure if it is 100% compatible with WP, especially in terms of notifications. This is why I opted to pick up the Microsoft Band, however clunky and draconian it is in terms of design, at least I am getting the entirety of it when it comes to using my WP.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have only seen the Surge on display in the store, but it appears more "clunky" than the band. It is a huge box on your wrist. I'm very comfortable with my Band, and it actually is quite comfortable.

I have a couple of concerns with Fitbit these days, and they are well documented on their community posts. Of the 3 new devices, the basic Charge is the only one available. I tried one and found the following:
  • The screen scratches from the slightest contact with anyithing, including soft materials
  • The auto sleep detection only worked propertly in one of 3 days tried
  • The notification system does not work with the vast majority of WIndows phones.
Many of us also have experienced disheartening communications with the Fitbit Customer Service department. Responses are delayed ( sometimes over a month ) if you receive them at all. Concerns are dismissed without any corrective action. There seems to be a serious lack of interest in true shortcomings of their products. Also, relative to Windows Phone, although they may have an accurate solution to a significant problem, the time it takes for them to publish an update can be months. For example, a flaw in the sync between the WinPhone software and their server was found, and fixed in house August 1, but the update to consumers was not released until mid-November.

I'm not trying to create some negative thread on Fitbit ... I like the general design of their products, and what they have put into their software. However, I have serious concerns now about quality control, and a very poor customer service system. It appears they are floating on the goodwill of their name recognition and leading placement in this industry.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
battery life:

For those with concerns about battery life - how do you plan on charging it? Specifically, how do you plan on working it into your routine so it gets done? The Band claims to be able to go two days. And from other data on li-ion batteries I've seen you get the most Amp-hours over the life of the battery by charging when it reaches 50%. So for me, I work it into my daily routine.

Frankly, I'm not sure what I'd do with a device that could run 5 days. I don't have much of a weekly routine. And I don't think I have any kind of "every few days" routine. I'd have to check the charge level daily and make a decision. That might or might not work for me.

Bottom line - what would you do with a device that could run many days? I can understand the complaints that the device can't handle a literal marathon day (5 hours on GPS and mange the rest of the day.) But I'm sort of scratching my head on the benefits of being able to go several days at at time. Nice, but doesn't strike me as a big deal. (Unless maybe you travel away from home and your collection of charging cords on a regular basis.)

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
For those with concerns about battery life - how do you plan on charging it? Specifically, how do you plan on working it into your routine so it gets done? The Band claims to be able to go two days. And from other data on li-ion batteries I've seen you get the most Amp-hours over the life of the battery by charging when it reaches 50%. So for me, I work it into my daily routine.

Frankly, I'm not sure what I'd do with a device that could run 5 days. I don't have much of a weekly routine. And I don't think I have any kind of "every few days" routine. I'd have to check the charge level daily and make a decision. That might or might not work for me.

Bottom line - what would you do with a device that could run many days? I can understand the complaints that the device can't handle a literal marathon day (5 hours on GPS and mange the rest of the day.) But I'm sort of scratching my head on the benefits of being able to go several days at at time. Nice, but doesn't strike me as a big deal. (Unless maybe you travel away from home and your collection of charging cords on a regular basis.)

I'm busy and I don't like having to worry about charging my device all the time. For example, if I go for a run first thing in the morning, it will kill a large chunk of the battery and if I can't get it on the charger for whatever reason, it may not last through the day. If battery lasts longer, even if I have a crazy active day using lots of GPS and other sensors, I wouldn't have to worry about getting it on the charger. I like not having to worry about it for a handful of days. My pebble lasts 5 days or so l, so I just have to find some time each week to charge it (usually while I'm at my computer at work). My Up24 lasts up to 14 days. I rarely have to think about it. I'll put it on ever week and a half or so when my Pebble is on the charger. The Band just can't handle that and it's a big bummer. I am hopeful that the Surge will be my next go to device. Only time will tell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium