Engadget's worst gadget of 2014

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
more like Engadget's worst article of 2014.

although, if you have a really small wrist, I can see how the Band would not fit b/c the screen is wider than your wrist.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
even though i'm a huge fan of Microsoft and i'm hugely interested in Band, i'm going to wait for v2 because i agree with engadget. wearable needs to be stylish and comfortable, and Band isn't.

Benjamin Mendez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Haha $275? Where they buying their gadget? Lol for "smart people" they seem to be really stupid to pay $275. I got mine for 199.99 plus taxes with a 5% discount. 😊

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
even though i'm a huge fan of Microsoft and i'm hugely interested in Band, i'm going to wait for v2 because i agree with engadget. wearable needs to be stylish and comfortable, and Band isn't.

It's pretty comfortable if you don't get one that is too small. You know, like shoes, pants, shirts, etc.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Actually, I find it comfortable. Rarely notice it's on my arm which is a sign of comfort. The first 5 days of wearing it, sure you notice it but after that it vanishes.

ablahblah

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I was confused by the review score haha. They praised the tech, just it didn't fit their wrist well. I can completely understand, I can't wear the thing on my right arm because I can tell its there and it feels, wrong, but it happens to be fine on my left arm. To be honest, I'm starting to care less about the scores on the reviews, and more about the points they bring up in the review. At the end of the day, what matters is if it's what you're looking for.

Me, I got a utilitarian device that helps me stare at my phone less and doesn't try to scream "I have a smartwatch". Am happy right now regardless of whatever any reviewer says.

Dima Habenko

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to myriad issues I have with the Band as a product, comfort and looks are not one of them. When it's on my wrist, I don't notice it - never did. Maybe it's because I always wore watch my whole life and therefore the Band does not really bother me. I do have issue with the design that is too rigid, resulting in having three sizes (which is ridiculous thing if you think about it) and some wrists just not conforming to the band at all. Specifically women with small bony wrists can't wear band even in the small size.
As for the looks, besides display that is easier to scratch then even $20 cheapo Chinese electronic watches, the rest of the package, if it sits on the wrist properly is actually quite nice. I wear my Band face down (the only way to comfortably read the text on that long horizontal display) and so others mostly see one continuous matte black band on my wrist that is not too thick and clasp that blends very well and adds some design detail on the otherwise unnoticeable product.
I can easily see why many would not find Band comfortable or good looking. It all really depends on the person's wrist. If it works, it works, and if it doesn't, folks would not like both comfort and look.

Though I understand why MS chose the design they dd (to add battery capacity on two sides of the wrist and to place HRM opposite of the watch to reduce overall thickness) Microsoft should rethink the design for the second iteration to get rid of size-specific bands and rigidity. Hopefully, better technology would allow them to do what they just could not do at first.

I think Apple would lead the way for now with the design and we should see other companies quickly falling in line and copycatting what works (Samsung, I am looking at you ;-))

Dima Habenko

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Amazing how this worst gadget keeps selling out of stock as soon as any inventory hits..

Yes, it's especially amazing considering 'fresh' inventories are in the low 4-digits every week. While Apple is selling millions upon millions of their latest phones, MS is creating a perceived shortage throwing few thousands of Bands on the market once a week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99