[BAND] Why Android 4.2?

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Why did Microsoft decide to make the Health App and Band only work with Andriod 4.2 and up?

95% of the Apps in the Play Store work with 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and as far as I can tell there is no major differences between Andriod 4.1 and 4.2 so there is no reason whatsoever why the Band couldn't work with it. Other fitness band and smartwatch devices usually only need Andriod 4.0 and up.

I have a phone which only goes up to 4.1.1, I would buy the Band tomorrow if it was compatible but sadly I'm not going to change phones just for a band and there is no Windows 8 app for my Surface Pro to do the same thing.

I would hope MS would lower the version requirement but I'm sure that sadly won't happen. They are also missing out on a chunk of the market especially in developing nations which are on lower Andriod verisons.

NafcMontana

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Why are you complaining? You should be happy that MS even thinks about Android and iOS! I don't think Apple would ever create something that you can use on your Windows Phone... Just buy a Windows Phone

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
When I was on Android my phone would only update to version 4.0.4, after a while a lot of newer apps i was interested in wouldn't work as they wanted 4.1 minimum. Fact of life, either do without OR get a newer device. Android 5.0 is rolling out, I guess anything below 4.2 would be basically considered obsolete by app designers for new apps.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's something to do with how smartwatches interact with phones. Android Wear watches don't work with Jelly Bean or lower, only KitKat or higher.

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Why are you complaining? You should be happy that MS even thinks about Android and iOS! I don't think Apple would ever create something that you can use on your Windows Phone... Just buy a Windows Phone

I disagree, Microsoft currently need the other platforms to be successful. Windows Phone's market share is still very small which is why all the MSN Apps and now the Office Apps are coming to iOS and Andriod to hopefully pull people over in the long run. I cannot understand why out of all the platforms they have also disregarded their own Windows 8 store as many tablets are starting to run on it.

I may be in the minority but if Microsoft could justify in some way why they need 4.2 (if it's a hardware or software feature they absolutely cannot function without) I get it but if not I just see it as yet more built in obsolescence and I'm not going to be yet another person who changes their phone every year just because Apple invented the concept of a modern quick release cycle!

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Blame Google for making handset manufacturers responsible for upgrades. As a result, upgrades and security updates only happen to extend the sales life of a handset. Once it's no longer sold - forget it. MS got it right with Windows for PCs eons ago - it allowed people to customize it, but it was just one OS with all updates from MS. You could upgrade until the hardware couldn't hack it anymore.

I understand Google is working on fixing this, but I blame them first and foremost. And least anyone think I'm just a Android basher - note my user name. Yes, I'm still using Android. But I'm not blind to it's faults.

Until it's fixed, plan on updating phones when the old one goes off contract. And don't buy one near the end of the sales cycle.

happydude602

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I think the later versions of android replaced the bluethooth stack with one that had support for the low power Bluetooth profiles. I'm pretty sure that requirement extended to other smartwatches like the samsung gear.

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Blame Google for making handset manufacturers responsible for upgrades. As a result, upgrades and security updates only happen to extend the sales life of a handset. Once it's no longer sold - forget it. MS got it right with Windows for PCs eons ago - it allowed people to customize it, but it was just one OS with all updates from MS. You could upgrade until the hardware couldn't hack it anymore.

I understand Google is working on fixing this, but I blame them first and foremost. And least anyone think I'm just a Android basher - note my user name. Yes, I'm still using Android. But I'm not blind to it's faults.

Until it's fixed, plan on updating phones when the old one goes off contract. And don't buy one near the end of the sales cycle.

Yeah this has been one of the biggest problems with Andriod, with manufacturers left in charge of upgrades they ultimately have no incentive to update them beyond the saleability of the phone. It's really hit an miss what gets and update and what doesn't. Some phone don't get updated at all beyond what they came with.

It's beyond belief that due to a 0.1 difference in version number something only a year and a half old is obsolete. I like the MS band and if I could link it with my Surface Pro that would be OK so I would at least get notifications when in the house but it doesn't look like new MS Health app is coming to Windows 8 any time soon.

I think the later versions of android replaced the bluethooth stack with one that had support for the low power Bluetooth profiles. I'm pretty sure that requirement extended to other smartwatches like the samsung gear.

I see, it's a pity if that's the case because very small bluetooth headsets have worked fine for years old 'old' bluetooth.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are talking about. My wife has a Galaxy S III with 4.1 Jellybean and the Microsoft Health app installed and runs just fine and the her Band syncs perfectly.

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are talking about. My wife has a Galaxy S III with 4.1 Jellybean and the Microsoft Health app installed and runs just fine and the her Band syncs perfectly.

It clearly states on the Play Store that MS Health Requires Andriod 4.2 and Up

Capture.JPG

As the Galaxy S3 is upgradable to 4.3 and even 4.4 on some versions are you sure it hasn't self updated or something?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I apologize. I just checked my wife's phone and it is actually at 4.4.2. I don't normally touch her phone, so I haven't been keeping up on what version she's on.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
F27, you're raising a good point. Just curious what phone you've got -- if it's on 4.1 I suspect you may be stuck -- but I'd like to guess there's a small chance your particular phone has a custom ROM available for it. If so (and you've never installed a ROM before), it would not only be a bit of an adventure to upgrade to 4.3 or 4.4 yourself, but also to make it compatible with the Band. Please take a moment to tell us the make and model and I'll do a bit of research to see if there's some KitKat (or Lollipop!??!) in your near future. :smile:

​-Matt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa