Two months after release and counting - not a peep from MS

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Some of the comments on this thread are a bit silly. MS tried with Windows 8, a risky proposition, then got blasted for it. They're now working on GIVING consumers what they want but, in all honesty, we as consumers don't know what we want until we're told or led. Heck look at curved screens that are now appearing... absolutely pointless but we're being told that they're fantastic.

I'm pretty sure that the Band will receive updates and that they're working on something nice but, as is usually the case, complaining after ONLY two months? Come on be realistic. MS could release an update every second (Google) but I'd prefer an update that works and runs well.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I've only owned the band for about 18 hours, but someone mentioned Fitbit, so I figured I share this...

I've been calling the MS Store main number to check stock at my local store, and when I called yesterday afternoon, the woman I spoke with actually did say that maybe I should try the Fitbit Charge HR, which is was I was going to get, before deciding on the Band. It kinda shocked me that she said that, but she was cool about it. She felt bad that lots of people call for the Band but it's so hard to get.

Still too new to see how well it works, but I'm surprised that it fits on my wrist better than I thought.

Just my 2 cents...

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
The wearable space has got a few companies who are trying to make their devices work as they should and bring expected /more features MSFT is no different with the band.
I'm sure they will bring updates and more integration to the Band my only concern is the time it will take for this to happen, no updates or news in over two months!!
As we continue to use the Band it will be subjected to the wear and tear of our daily workouts (which we all expect), but we are still being short changed the full experience of Microsoft Health and the additional sensors packed in the band. IMHO the Band should not have been released without the fully featured app/website with the actionable insights, and the full sensor data associated with our accounts.

@Keith W
can you please point me to the posting where you say "Microsoft almost outright said that the things are just tech demos to license their sensor tech"
I'm aware they what to open up Microsoft Health and it's sensor technology to other partners but not aware of where they say the Band is just a tech demo.

sstrike

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I was feeling the same way and found this forum. I just checked my play store and there was an update for microsoft health. Once installed and I opened the app it pushed an update to the band. Looks like you can now control what apps you want notifications from on android.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Also the health and fitness app is a joke. I tried to record a hike with GPS. Guess what. It is so horrible that I accidentally stopped the recording two times and it also crashed two times. And you can't use the map properly, If you zoom and drag it keeps jumping back to its original state. Back to Adidas micouch.

bklyneddie

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Yep, no iOS update yet... guess I'll be in the App Store all day on my phone... :)
I just updated the app on my iphone 5s and when I clicked on the band app
I got the notice that there was an update for my band.
It took about 5 mins or so to update my band now the band has version 1.1.2110.0 09R on it

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I just updated the app on my iphone 5s and when I clicked on the band app
I got the notice that there was an update for my band.
It took about 5 mins or so to update my band now the band has version 1.1.2110.0 09R on it

Same here, updated a few hours ago, all went well.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Before this morphs into a "new firmware" thread I just want to say I've really enjoyed the discussion so far, and hope it continues. Some interesting questions have come up, along with a bit of Monday morning quarterbacking about MS's business strategy with the Band.

I somehow missed Dan Rubino's EXCELLENT blog post that touches on many of the issues raised here, including short supply of the Band, competing vs. promoting other activity-band companies, and whether the Band is a "real" or a "proof-of-concept" product. I strongly suggest reading it if you missed it back in November. I don't agree with his analysis 100% but it's a great read either way:

Why Microsoft Band is in short supply (it's not a marketing conspiracy) | Windows Central

-Matt

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't agree with his analysis 100% but it's a great read either way:
-Matt

I remember reading this when I was trying to get a band in the UK and it was a good read but like you didn't agree a 100%. My thoughts are that a demonstration device for a platform that doesn't work yet or not available even in demonstration mode (for the band) is a stupid strategy and would only highlight it as a potential flop if all the pieces to the jigsaw do not fit together out of the gate, i.e. web browser with connection to Healthvault, fully working sensors with accompanying data, fully fledged phone with all data (100% working on a Windows phone), actionable insights etc...

Why would Microsoft release a half baked product?
To me that question has yet to be answered, if I was a potential partner for licensing the 10 wrist worn sensors I would want to see the fully baked working eco-system which demonstrates the full potential of the sensors.
As a end consumer one of the reasons I brought the Band was based on it's potential and that MS being a software company they would deliver improvements quickly.

Well at least we know the firmware update process works after 2 months even if it was just a minor update.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I heard they are going to integrate all the news about their products under one roof that's the event that's going to happen on 21 January maybe you'll get your update at that time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky