Microsoft HealthVault linking available now

David Goldwasser

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I haven't seen update to iphone app yet, but on dashboard, I'm seeing all my history back through when I bought the band on 10/31. I'm seeing sleep, runs, workouts, calories, and steps. I've never done custom workout so other than missing sensors that have always been hidden I'm seeing everything I'd expect. The observation view in sleep and calories is pretty cool.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Health vault and the dashboard are two different services.

Just to amplify on that: MS Heath/dashboard is a personal fitness thing.

MS HealthVault is doctor-level medical records and can be shared with your doctor(s) and other heath care providers. It can also integrate other sources of information, like blood glucose meters, blood pressure measurements, etc. It's been around for 7 years, but may not be that well known. The linking of Band data to medical care is one of the things that made me snag it the day it came out.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
(Moving this over from a neighboring thread!)

- the Food and Drink view is really underpowered -- basically it's set up so you name a meal, and then enter total calories...not inviting at all...also no option to import -- that's a shame, I'd grown accustomed to entering in food data in MFP and was hoping to switch to the HealthVault
- as a backdoor approach, I just tried Microsoft's Health and Fitness app (and they say Android is a FRAGMENTED OS) but anyway, even though H&F has a better interface for entering data (it has PopTarts in its database!!!) and I set it up to sync with my MS account, of course nothing showed up in the HealthVault :cry: (Hadn't there been rumors that MS was killing H&F anyway?)

Remember all this is focused on what's happening in HealthVault once you link it to your Band/Health account.

​-Matt

Health and Fitness used to be linked to HealthVault, but they unlinked it late last year for no apparent reason. When I got a Lumia with SensorCore it used to be perfect because the phone would track my calories burned throughout the day and I could manually input my food to see the calories I've consumed. If they could bring back H&F's integration, or add a user-friendly food input tool to the new Health app, then that would be great. I'm sure they could gain even more insights by not only tracking calories expended but also tracking calories consumed.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Measurements > Sleep sessions.
Either I'm losing my mind (which is entirely possible) or the the option wasn't there yesterday (but is clearly there now). I'm guessing -- since I linked HealthVault yesterday -- that it wasn't available until there was a night of sleep and voil? now I see it and last night's data. So my sanity is at least temporarily intact.

Health and Fitness used to be linked to HealthVault, but they unlinked it late last year for no apparent reason. When I got a Lumia with SensorCore it used to be perfect because the phone would track my calories burned throughout the day and I could manually input my food to see the calories I've consumed. If they could bring back H&F's integration, or add a user-friendly food input tool to the new Health app, then that would be great. I'm sure they could gain even more insights by not only tracking calories expended but also tracking calories consumed.
Thanks, very helpful post! On a slight tangent, I have to admit I pretty much grasp the various services and options in front of us, so I'm ever so slightly irritated by the well-meaning attempts to explain the difference between, say, HealthVault and the new Dashboard, but (and this is a BIG BUT) we clearly don't come into the forum with datatsheets pinned to our foreheads that state what we do and don't know, so the attempts to educate one another (though sometimes a bit patronizing) are definitely a valuable community service, especially for new owners/forum members. By the way, I was praising your post -- it doesn't fall into the category I'm trying to politely characterize. Damn, I think I just went on a rant...sorry. I should probably try to get more sleep! :amaze:

EDIT: please forgive the snarkiness above...I'm a mod on other forums and I should know better!

-Matt

Last edited:

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Since the update my statistics have not updated still all my stats from way back up to Feb 18th are there but nothing new is being added I'm using the desktop app Microsoft Health and I also have Microsoft Vault on win 8.1 and the Microsoft health app on my lumina 635. Any one have any Idea why its not up dating?:angry:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Either I'm losing my mind (which is entirely possible) or the the option wasn't there yesterday (but is clearly there now). I'm guessing -- since I linked HealthVault yesterday -- that it wasn't available until there was a night of sleep and voil? now I see it and last night's data. So my sanity is at least temporarily intact.

Hmmm. I've got sleep all the way back to the night of the 19th. But then I activated the link from the HealthVault side - did you activate it from the Health side?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm. I've got sleep all the way back to the night of the 19th. But then I activated the link from the HealthVault side - did you activate it from the Health side?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I linked from the HealthVault side. So after you linked, you saw sleep data from before that time point? Interesting. I think tachyons are involved.

-Matt

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My oldest sleep session is 2/20 at 1AM. I think a blue & black dress is involved.

Or maybe .... I've had issues where my band doesn't sync for days at a time. Perhaps it picked up a events that SYNCED on that day.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
My oldest sleep session is 2/20 at 1AM. I think a blue & black dress is involved.

Or maybe .... I've had issues where my band doesn't sync for days at a time. Perhaps it picked up a events that SYNCED on that day.

LOL :)

At the risk of being scolded for mentioning the Dashboard in the (*gasp*) HealthVault thread, I'll note that I can see my sleep data on the Dashboard all the way back to day 1 (start of November) and it's much richer in detail than what I see on HealthVault. So it's all good!

​-Matt

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes, dashboard goes back to day 1 and has nice graphs and details. I think HealthVault syncing is doing ok day forward. Perhaps they thought it too risky to try and bring over everything. You never know when that code might decide to do duplicates or something.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh darn -- just checked my calories for yesterday, and both HealthVault and the Dashboard are saying my total burn for the day was 2140. The problem is when I go to "Exercise" view in HealthVault, and switch to the Chart: if I filter and view just Daily Summary I see 2140 in the chart, but if I turn filtering off, daily burn for the day goes up to 2280. Guess I should mention I did a 1-mile run, good for 140 calories. In other words, with filtering off the HealthVault seems to be counting the 140 calories twice. Hey, don't get me wrong, I like 2280 more than 2140, but no point in counting fake calories!

Anyone else see something like this?

​-Matt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb