Band update: bike workout, band keyboard and new scrolling messages

jariga

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Just updated my band and see there is a keyboard option under settings - can't yet see what it is used for, replying to texts maybe?

Also there is a scrolling message reader - when reading a text or notification you can press the action button and the message scrolls across the screen in large type - cool!

There is also now a bike workout tile - not tried it yet.

Anyone else spotted anything else new? :cool:

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if the biking function can also work for skiing?

Elevation Tracking: Track elevation and elevation gain, distance and duration and calorie burn– viewable in the Microsoft Health app.

GPS: Users can activate GPS on their Band to map their ride in the mobile app and share it with their friends via email.

Speed Analysis: Track your current and average speeds both on the band and in the mobile app, and review your custom splits to relive those longer bike rides.

The only problem I see is having to pause between runs, as it would probably track your time on the lift as a run uphill.

But if there were a specific ski run you wanted to track, it seems like it would work

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I can't update my health app! It just sits in the downloads tab on my phone.. Pending. I don't know what to do!!

Are you connected to wifi? Are you set up so that you can only download apps over wifi?

I am curious if the bike app will work better for elliptical workouts (find out tonight I guess)

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
1. Get the app update from the store.
2. Hold volume down and power button for 10 sec to Restart phone
3. Reconnect via bluetooth
4. Sync with Band from Microsoft Health App on phone.

You should see the Band receive an update with two arrows left and right for a couple of minutes.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
anyone know what to do to update the app? does it pop up or is there an update in the store?
For Android, you go into the Play Store and update the app. After that, and with a bit of prodding, the app will update the firmware in the Band. New release: 10.2.2610.0 09 R

I'd imagine that iPhone and Windows would be similar.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Press action button to read email is very cool. I can't wait to try the bicycle feature, but I am not set up for extreme winter biking and we have a wind chill advisory today.

Pimp my Band unaffected by the update.

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you connected to wifi? Are you set up so that you can only download apps over wifi?

I am curious if the bike app will work better for elliptical workouts (find out tonight I guess)

Yes, fully connected. It just sits on pending... When I went online it said that Microsoft health may not be supported my this device anymore...

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
AWESOME... scrolling messages are cool but being able to reply via keyboard, Cortana or suggested response is great.

I haven't tested it too much, but my wife simply sent me a text the side "I love you" and the suggested response was "Love you too".

I was hoping for a shake awake or something other than the button.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So tried out the bike mode for the elliptical... it appears to only measure distance through the use of GPS so I guess until they release an elliptical mode for the run app have to live with it being off :unhappy:

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
The update isn't showing up on iOS yet, which I assume is Apple dragging their feet approving the update.

Windows 10 Phones can't come soon enough.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
So tried out the bike mode for the elliptical... it appears to only measure distance through the use of GPS so I guess until they release an elliptical mode for the run app have to live with it being off :unhappy:
I'm not sure how they'd be able to measure distance any other way. It'd have to somehow know what gear you're in and what the gearing ratio is, etc. Is there any other personal device (that does not attach to the bike) that does this?

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That is true... I just thought I had read something about stationary bikes and had hoped it was maybe just using a more lenient step system... but probably just misread as I was glancing through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise