Band update: bike workout, band keyboard and new scrolling messages

chandy227

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So the keyboard functionality is supported in WP 8.1. How about Android? I heard on The Verge that iOS doesn't have the proper keyboard API support for the band to use the keyboard, but there shouldn't be any barriers for Android support.

Anybody know if the new keyboard functionality will work on Android?

If not I may have to repair with my 920 to test it out

Lerac1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Did a new pairing and then it started working. Too bad only for text messages and phone reply's. Wish it would be possible for whatsapp but that would be too good to be true ��

Using 8.1 so that would not have been the issue. I love the reading functionality though

toddsay

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it a new feature that you can reply to existing texts instead of only at the moment they arrive? As far as I know you couldn't do that before this update.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So the keyboard functionality is supported in WP 8.1. How about Android? I heard on The Verge that iOS doesn't have the proper keyboard API support for the band to use the keyboard, but there shouldn't be any barriers for Android support.

Anybody know if the new keyboard functionality will work on Android?

If not I may have to repair with my 920 to test it out

I think the keyboard requires Cortana for the word prediction, but could be wrong on that, so Android phones wouldn't be able to use the keyboard at the moment.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it a new feature that you can reply to existing texts instead of only at the moment they arrive? As far as I know you couldn't do that before this update.
That is correct. If you view your texts in the Messaging tile, there's now a reply button at the bottom of each message.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The band also no longer goes to the active screen when plugging it in for charging... it still goes to the active screen when unplugging however. (May only be in watch mode as that is what I am currently set at)

Andrew Feest

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Very cool updates, I hope things continue to be added. I'm excited most by the addition of bike exercise tracking as that it my preference. However the new online dashboard doesn't yet support that feature. Odd that they would release the dashboard to support only the older features of the band at the same time as releasing a band update. I'm sure it will come.

The dashboard is very cool though.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Very cool, and a web dashboard to boot! Great to see things happening finally.
IMHO this is the biggest news of the day -- really glad to see the dashboard is reasonably functional (though I certainly have a few suggestions for improving it, e.g., the option of a list view of runs rather than only a calendar view -- I'm also surprised there isn't an export function for the map data). Pro tip: venture over to Connected Apps and you'll see that HealthVault is now in the list. :) I connected without any issues but haven't had a chance yet to see what's traveling from the Band Dashboard over to the Vault. Looks promising.

​-Matt

Last edited:

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had slacked off for a while tracking my sleep and even workouts with the Band, as I didn't see much use for the information or how I could use it, especially having to work in the phone app. But looking at the way it's presented in dashboard I am really psyched to begin again in earnest. I can really begin to see now the potentialities for how the information can begin to make sense, and be usable.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
mhc48 I have been tracking my Band Info [daily numbers] in a excel sheet since I got my band and I can see all my progress over the extended time line.All you have to do is set up the sheet and enter your numbers every night not all that difficult.

smurfalarm

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I was surprised at how effective the keyboard is. I kind of assumed that typing on a tiny screen would be too annoying and difficult to be useful, but in practice it is easier than pulling my phone out of my pocket, which is all it takes to make it a useful feature.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The keyboard feature looks very cool. I just wish it were available for us non-Windows-Phone folks.

It could possibly come to Android someday, especially given how platform-neutral MS has been lately. iOS doesn't have the necessary APIs for something like this (and I doubt that will change soon given their new Watch coming out soon). So I wouldn't hold my breath for it coming to the iPhones though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire