I noticed the bad can be pre-ordered again. Should I give it a shot or wait until "Band 2"?
    03-04-2015 08:45 AM
    I'm wondering the same thing. No doubt it will be much better and worth it, but who knows how long the wait will be!
    03-04-2015 10:29 AM
    I got the band on its first day. I don't believe that if there will be a band 2 it will be much different because the form factor can contain limited amount of internals as it is very tiny. However, there may be a watch coming because some of the Windows 10 device line shots were showing smart watches. But again since Windows 10 is planned to run on IoT it means it will support very low spec devices maybe our NT based band can get W10 sometime. Or you can guarantee that you have w10 on your wrist by waiting for a product comes with OS preloaded at first place...
    03-04-2015 10:37 AM
    I'm wondering the same thing. No doubt it will be much better and worth it, but who knows how long the wait will be!
    True...and I really want a tracker to give me more motivation to get healthy and prefer the Band...I may do it...
    03-04-2015 11:41 AM
    I got the band on its first day. I don't believe that if there will be a band 2 it will be much different because the form factor can contain limited amount of internals as it is very tiny. However, there may be a watch coming because some of the Windows 10 device line shots were showing smart watches. But again since Windows 10 is planned to run on IoT it means it will support very low spec devices maybe our NT based band can get W10 sometime. Or you can guarantee that you have w10 on your wrist by waiting for a product comes with OS preloaded at first place...
    And I assume the Band will get a Windows 10 based OS when it comes out?
    03-04-2015 11:43 AM
    And I assume the Band will get a Windows 10 based OS when it comes out?
    Well the NT kernel is the same kernel used in WP8, so there wouldn't be a kernel issue like with WP7 ;) (which was CE-based). I'm sort of on the fence too - I've seen a bit in the forums about Bands not holding up well after a few months, but I'm not sure whether they'll ever release a sequel..
    03-04-2015 01:21 PM
    The lowest hanging fruit is still software/firmware development which ought to be available to Gen 1 as well as anything newer: Music control, more apps, better web dashboard with more insight, better integration with other MS and third party apps.

A longer-lasting battery, better water resistance, more sleek form factor and a flexible screen would be obvious improvements for Gen 2, but comparatively, I'd greatly prefer the software/firmware updates and 3rd party integration.

All of which is to say that I'd go for it now because you will still have a device that is very good now, but will be even better in six months when the top paragraph items get more attention.
    03-04-2015 02:33 PM
    Conversation on some of the other threads has converged on the fact that yeah, it's a 1st gen device so it's quirky and less than ideal (e.g., reliability of HR monitoring). You might add to that, many of us (I'm assuming) keep our devices 1 or 2 years and then replace them. So whether to buy or not now feels like a tough choice mainly because they're hard to find. Once the 2nd gen is leaked/announced, nobody will want a 1st gen, like (again, I'm assuming) nobody wants a 1st gen Surface. Take away the scarcity and I would probably recommend waiting another 3-4 months for more news. But then I should add that I have a bad case of device envy and so would feel like a total piece of crap if I bought a Band tomorrow and the 2nd gen were announced soon after. If you can keep your hands over your ears and not get distracted by tech news, @Davd_Lohrentz is right, it's an awesome device.

As far as helping motivate workouts, there is a great honeymoon effect with the Band which lasts about a month -- after that, it's you, your running shoes (or bike), and the road. If it's not in your heart to stick with a fitness plan, the Band joins the treadmill, elliptical, and weight bench that are already in the basement, coated in a light layer of dust. Actually that's not 100% true -- the non-health functions (e.g., text/email notifications) still make it worth the price of admission.

Lastly, as an Android owner I have to say I'm scratching my head a bit at the discussion of NT, WP8, kernels, etc. From where I'm sitting the Band OS is pretty much a non-issue. It's true that I don't have Cortana and so don't have voice input (or the keyboard, darn!), but otherwise my user experience with the Band is pretty much the same as any WinPhone or IPhone owner. Not sure how much any upcoming changes to the OS/kernel enter into the decision-making.

-Matt
    03-04-2015 03:15 PM
    Also note that in a couple of months, the competition will be creeping in in form of the HTC Grip. It may not do quite all the same things as the Band does, at least not for us with Windows on our phones, but there's something quite attractive in its form.

Not sure I would wish to wear that 24/7 though, as I have done with Band for more than three months now.
    03-05-2015 03:50 AM
    There is nothing to say there will even be a version 2. Better get one now, if you can, while you can.
    03-05-2015 04:12 AM
    I love my band and being able to begin to track my activity, sleep, get notifications etc. Even my personal trainer with the newest FitBit envies my Band. But if I didn't have one, I'd wait. Wonderful as all the features are, and as transformative as having a Band is, the form factor of the Band sometimes makes using it a bit awkward. The next one will probably be a lot more ergonomically usable and aesthetically attractive.

Of course, here in the Northeast USA, winter is a slower time with less activity for me. When Spring and Summer come I expect to be using it even more and would hate to have to be without one. So if I were in a warmer, sunnier clime and didn't have one, I might not put it off.
    gadgetrants likes this.
    03-05-2015 08:24 AM
    I just saw the pre-order and I ordered right away. I can use it now and have been waiting to use to supplement my current activities and get data. That's why I'm not waiting. I can make use of it now and have been wanting to use something. I want the datas lol.
    03-05-2015 02:37 PM
    I just saw the pre-order and I ordered right away. I can use it now and have been waiting to use to supplement my current activities and get data. That's why I'm not waiting. I can make use of it now and have been wanting to use something. I want the datas lol.
    There are a lot of good points in this thread I agree with (some which are even inconsistent with each other!). This ^^^ probably sums up my feelings best. I was more than happy to jump on the Band given how far it is ahead of the competition...even if it's not perfect. What has really pushed me from "using" it to "loving" it has been the unBand app which allows us to pull data off the device (and it's a Windows program, not a WinPhone app like Pimp by Band), and now the release of the Dashboard. Definitely enough to keep us happy.

-Matt
    03-05-2015 03:37 PM
    As far as helping motivate workouts, there is a great honeymoon effect with the Band which lasts about a month -- after that, it's you, your running shoes (or bike), and the road. If it's not in your heart to stick with a fitness plan, the Band joins the treadmill, elliptical, and weight bench that are already in the basement, coated in a light layer of dust. Actually that's not 100% true -- the non-health functions (e.g., text/email notifications) still make it worth the price of admission.
    Yes, and no. There is something a tad different with the band. It logs every day. All automagically, regardless of what you do. A log that's as close as your phone. Don't like the log it keeps? Well then, you better get off the couch and add some steps.

This is unlike my Polar where I had to remember to go to a website, click all the right buttons and hold the watch to the microphone to record my workouts. That fell by the wayside. I won't claim to have the best of records, but I know I can't escape the Band's. And that does seem to make a difference. I have been fairly consistent about getting in my daily steps, even after 4 months of ownership.

It's probably not as powerful as workout routine with a friend, but it's better than relying totally on your own initiative.

As always, YMMV.
    gadgetrants likes this.
    03-05-2015 06:47 PM
    I would wait. The current band is like the Surface pro 1. Great concepts, inadequate execution due to tech not advanced enough. Wait until they fix most of the glaring bugs in band 2
    DavidinCT likes this.
    03-05-2015 07:35 PM
    Its like everything else in tech these days. If you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll always be waiting. There's always something new and (maybe) better coming down the pike. Heck, I'm still happily using my original Surface.......and as a desktop replacement to boot! The first-edition Band has been a great help with my fitness level, and has been a lot of fun to play with too.
    11B1P likes this.
    03-05-2015 08:14 PM
    Is pre-order still an option? I can't find it on the official web site and according to the chat guy with an American sounding name, Microsoft refuses to use technology which would allow for them to send me a notification when the device becomes available.

Wishing I'd put forth a more serious effort to be pre-selected for the Mars expedition, because surely Microsoft is more receptive to accepting Martian Dinars than the plastic in my wallet.
    03-06-2015 09:51 PM
    Its like everything else in tech these days. If you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll always be waiting. There's always something new and (maybe) better coming down the pike. Heck, I'm still happily using my original Surface.......and as a desktop replacement to boot! The first-edition Band has been a great help with my fitness level, and has been a lot of fun to play with too.
    Exactly. IF a version 2 comes out, people will try it out, find the bugs and then tell you to wait for version 3. Then they will tell you to wait for version 4 and so on. If you can afford it now, buy it. Again, there is no proof there will be a version 2.
    gadgetrants likes this.
    03-23-2015 10:10 PM