Can we compare our sleeping track?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
You're COMPETITIVE about your sleep!?!??!!! LOL

I'm have no intention of posting my sleep data (actually I think I posted some back in November). You get 2 hours of restful sleep a night and I'm not even close to that! I feel like a sleep failure. :unhappysweat:

-Matt

Last edited:

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Those are some of the best one, often I have just one hour of restful sleep.
And about woke up?
5 to 10 woke up for night it's in the normal range?
do you think the band it's good enought like sleeping monitor?
I hask this becouse my sleep is not restful enought and in the day I fell tired.
I bought the band especially for the sleep monitor ;)

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
OK, my turn to show-and-tell!!

BandSleep.jpg

Two thoughts: first, I think your data are pretty typical (except for 2 hours "restful"). From what I've seen here, about 1 hour of restful sleep is the norm. Second, also based on conversation here, I would not trust the Band to help identify a sleep problem. My impression is that it could mask a sleep disorder by showing relatively normal sleep data (i.e., false negative), or it could suggest a problem when there isn't any (false positive). Nobody knows what the relative percents of those "errors" are, so the only safe solution is to talk to a doctor and consider doing an overnight sleep study (e.g., to look for apnea, REM sleep disorder, etc.). Of course if your sleep is in the normal range than it couldn't hurt to track your data with the Band over a few weeks and look for any meaningful trends.

Forgive me for teasing but...since the Band is a health-oriented device, if you're working out with it (e.g., regular walks or runs) I think that could significantly help increase your energy and well-being. :wink: And the other usual things, like cut back on caffeine, pay attention to things that cause stress (loud animals, loud children, loud bosses, etc.), get to bed early! You know the routine!

​-Matt

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
First off, we really don't know what criteria the Band is using to determine levels of sleep. My best guess is it's based on motion (or lack thereof.) Yes, it does check your heart rate, but only for 2 minutes out of every 10. So I'm sure there's a number of things affecting sleep that could slip past the Band. I think the Band's sleep function is primarily for normal people to get an idea of their sleep pattern and then correlate the results with what's happening (weather, diet, etc.) It's not going to be too useful as a sleep disorder diagnostic.

I wouldn't mind getting a pulse oximeter to see how my sleep is doing, but the kind that can run overnight still seems to be pricey. The one that interfaces with HealthVault is crazy expensive. $700+ Sure would be nice to find a place that would rent one for a week.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I have several of those, too! There are nights where the Band's data look just like what I thought happened, and then there are nights where I'm like, "What????" :shocked:

​-Matt

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Mike, you already had a "resting" HR of 46...I'm no spring chicken but that looks pretty good to me. Not sure you'll see any significant changes in your sleep data with more exercise -- I think where you started was a pretty good place! On the other hand, of course I know nothing about what your diet, waistline, and bloop pressure look like!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
All you guys with mid-40's resting HRs need to STRESS more! :angry: Or maybe you're just a bunch of 23-year-olds with no spouse, children, or pets! The rest of us have a lot to worry about!

-Matt

MikeInOhio

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
@gadgetrants lol: I only post things that look good. For sleep, the main thing I want to improve is restful sleep... maybe??? I suppose REM sleep isn't necessarily "restful", eh? And I like dreaming...

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm figuring that REM is the deepest sleep, but presumably the Band can't distinguish between REM and probably lighter levels of sleep that aren't formally as "restful"...so they get lumped together. Anyway, I'm under the impression that most of us normal folk are getting around 1 hour a night. When I started I figured that number should be like...5 or 6 but the culture here has convinced my otherwise! So it's probably brainwashing but I'm happy with ~1 hour of restful.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm figuring that REM is the deepest sleep, but presumably the Band can't distinguish between REM and probably lighter levels of sleep that aren't formally as "restful"...so they get lumped together.
As usual, I have no idea what I'm talking about. This helped straighten me out a bit:

How Much Sleep Do You Need? Sleep Cycles and Stages, Lack of Sleep, and How to Get the Hours You Need

SleepCycle.jpg
Did a screen cap to include the sleep diagram. :) By the way, in the diagram sleep goes from light (N1) to deep (N3). An ignorant guess is that "restful" for the Band may span parts of N3 and N2 -- just read that HR increases during REM (probably more so for those of us with more "colorful" dreams LOL), so perhaps that goes under "light" sleep.

​-Matt

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey Matt,

I'm pretty interested in the band and I preordered mine from the UK so I can tinker around with it in April.
Specifically the sleeptracking is interesting so I'm absorbing all the info I can get right now.

You say that the Band may see the REM sleep as "light sleep" - but it's correct then from what my understanding is.
Your link is pretty interesting and somewhat difficult to absorb (non english native speaker here :-D) but even the graph shows the REM sleep on top of N1 - N3. So from my understanding the Band tracks the HR and motion of you (and maybe the "stress level" of the GSR?) to get an overview of how your body behaves. Because it can not properly diagnose everything like the sleep labs can, it has to interpret that data.

I read your screenshot and compared that to all the pictures in this thread.
Four to six cycles should occur during one night.
Therefore, your screenshot shows 7 segments between awake and sleeping / deep sleeping.
According to the website that you linked, the N3 sleep is the most restful and your heart rate is at the lowest point and your brain is as relaxed as it can get (slow brain wave activity).
So in theory, the Band should be able to check your HR every 8 minutes (2 of 10 minutes active) and get a pretty accurate result for REM, N1, N2 or N3 sleep based on what your average HR is.
I am by far no expert in sleep (I myself have trouble to get a proper rest and often feel tired or not fully "here") so it's pretty interesting to get a good insight of what is going on when I'm sleeping.

I'm just trying to make a picture of it. I know that stuff like caloric burn, HR and sleep tracking are not used for medical purposes (not from the Band right now) because the data may not be accurate to the spot, but it's good to get an overview and especially to get a trend.
I've started to exercise this year and I'm using my iPod Nano as a tracking device with Nike+ in order to know my trend on the crosstrainer. It doesn't matter to me if the caloric burn shows 500 and in reality I only burned 280 or 300 - the trend is important to me.

So I'm trying to get a hold of what the band shows with sleep track because I want to understand it when it arrives at my home.

It's great that you guys compare all that data, but what is interesting for me:
When the band shows you as "awake" - do you remember to be awake, or is it just "light sleep"?
I'm asking because OberstDanjeje shows nearly a full hour of "awake", so where does it come from?
I have two cats and one of them usually wakes me up during the night when she jumps down from the closet or something like that. That should definately give a pretty big spike in the band overview, right?
I'm gonna compare that sleeping data with the times where I remember being physically awake just to understand my lack of restfulness a little bit better.

(Sorry long text - just some thoughts and trying to understand what the Band is providing and what you are showing because there is little knowledge of the band and how it completely works)

Regards,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans