Can we compare our sleeping track?

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, has anyone had an optimal nights sleep yet?

I had some too, but I still wonder how it is determined, since the efficiency was bad, I woke up pretty often...:
sleep_optimal.jpg
sleep_optimal_2.jpg

Also I find it quite intersting that you see on the Heart Rate how you actually feeling. When everything is OK and I'm working during the day I usually have a resting HR of ~45. When I'm at home (couple days off) it usually goes down to ~40. Tonight I had back pain, didn't realize it during sleep (in my opinion) and had ~51. And mid of May i was in pain and even had to go to the hospital and my HR was ~70 during the periods I slept.

This is one I could imagine that it's maybe optimal:

sleep_optimal_3.jpg

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Wow, that's some serious deep sleeping there. I have had quite a few good nights but I am missing on optimal on my days off due to consumption of alcohol and the summary tells me that!. A beer or two before bed wrecks the night in terms of quality, regardless of quantity, and this can be born out by how i feel the next day.

I don't know if other have found this but wearing the band has made me very conscious that I am getting insufficient quality sleep and as a result has reduced my alcohol consumption quite a bit.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm already a pretty serious lightweight (when it comes to alcohol) so no effect on my drinking habits, but...this is going to sound a bit odd but looking at my sleep data has also made me more "mindful" about "how" I sleep. I can't say I deliberately put my head on the pillow and think, "OK TONIGHT YOU'RE GOING TO SLEEP WELL, DAMMIT!" But there is an intentional aspect to it, and sure enough, the "desire" or "will" to be a bit more restful has seemingly led to better data on the Band. I guess it's a kind of delayed biofeedback of sorts.

​-Matt

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
...this is going to sound a bit odd but looking at my sleep data has also made me more "mindful" about "how" I sleep. ​-Matt
Yes, I understand. I have even started looking at techniques to help get to sleep such as Dr Andrew Weil 4-7-8 technique. It's a;; about being more aware of your health rather than just the fitness and exercise bit.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I've given up on the "restoration" measurement. I've had a grand total of one night of "good" restoration -- ever -- with the rest almost uniformly low. I've compared all the data and it appears totally arbitrary, and has nothing to do with time asleep, light versus deep sleep, number of times awake or anything else.

I can say restoration does not seem to be just heartrate. My "good" night my heart rate was 65. Next night it was 58 but that was a "low." Both days had about the same level of physical activity. Whatever secret sauce they are using, I'm not impressed.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
It is pretty mysterious. Last month I downloaded my sleep data and began to look for a linear combination of factors (e.g., Duration + Sleep efficiency + HR + etc.) that predicted Restoration but didn't make much progress. Eyeballing it, I can see 2 days in the month, one that's "Good" and another that's "Moderate" and yet the stats themselves looks the same. That suggests (OHNO!) that there is also an "historical" factor, i.e, a moving window or average that includes the influence of recent days. If that's the case we'll never reverse engineer the formula, or even which measurements are being used.

On a related note, I now regularly get, "Your restoration was delayed in the beginning of your sleep. Try minimizing physical and mental stress close to your bedtime." Or...wait!...I just checked past days and the notification is gone...weird. But it's there for this morning. Seems I get it every morning and then it's gone the next day? If so that's an odd bug. Anyway, yeah...huge grain of salt!

OH! And here's another one I never noticed before: on my phone (Health app) the latest session is "Thu 6/4" and yet those same data are showing up as "Today, June 5, 2015" on the Dashboard. So Phone = "The day I go to sleep" and Dashboard = "The day I wake up." When did that start happening???

-Matt

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
This thread has some interesting discussion:
Help Interpreting Sleep Restoration - Microsoft Community

User RogMcc hypothesizes that the restoration measurement is based on how quickly your heart rate drops after you fall asleep. Not how low it drops eventually, but if there is an initial plunge. The one night of "Moderate" restoration I have my heart rate only dropped about 10bpm but it did so within the first hour of sleep. Every other night I have a more gradual drop, usually about 20bpm, but that's a restoration of "Low."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett