Couple Issues with Band

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I finally remembered to check my Band while I was driving this morning to work, and so I did a little experiment:

My trip is usually about 40 minutes, with about 25 minutes on the highway (60-65mph), then 15 minutes of back roads ranging from 35-50mph. Here is what I saw...

When I remembered to look at my Band, I was doing about 65mph on the highway, and I could see my steps counting up and up and up, even though my arm was still... I wear the Band on my left arm with display facing up. So I took off the band, and put it in my cupholder, and the step count stopped at 1158. About 5 minutes later, and still on the highway, I checked the Band again, step count was still at 1158. So I thought that maybe the steering wheel had something to do with it, so I attached it to my steering wheel until I got off the highway. When off the highway, the step count was still at 1158.

So now I'm on back roads for a few minutes, checked again, still 1158. So I put it back on my left wrist and drove for a bit, and the road changes from 35mph to 50mph. Checked the Band after a few minutes, now it's up to 1224. Then the road slows to 35mph again, and stays that way until my destination. When I stopped, I checked it again, it was still at 1224.

So take this for what you will... not sure what is going on... maybe the speed has something to do with it? Step count seemed to increase when I was driving fast, but then it never changed when I was going slow. This is the first time I've really paid attention to it, but if I remember I will try it again on my way home tonight, and also over the weekend.

Thoughts???

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The Band can tell if it's being worn or not. The step counter may behave differently (if not turned off completely) when it's not worn.

My best guess is that it's looking for a regular "bump" that suggests a step.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Today is my first full day with it. It looked like it undercounted by about 20% (based on my FitBit experience.) So I did some testing. Just walking normally around the house and out into the yard, it didn't count a single step. When carrying the dog, it didn't count either. I started swinging my arms in an exaggerated fashion, and it counted those.

When I went on a "run" today with GPS on around the neighborhood, I walked a known 1 mile loop and those steps matched previously recorded tracking with a FitBit and Endomundo.

UPDATE: I talked to MS and the rep said they thought my Band was too large, so I switched for a Small. MUCH better! It seems to be tracking all my normal walking now.

Last edited:

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My band never had issues or up counting behaviour in car. I have 2 hrs commute and 80% highway. I have been using it since Thanksgiving.

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
However before denim update (with cyan) MSN health app did upcount my car drive into steps. It stopped doing it after denim and life is all good. 1520 and band is a great combo.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Today is my first full day with it. It looked like it undercounted by about 20% (based on my FitBit experience.) So I did some testing. Just walking normally around the house and out into the yard, it didn't count a single step. When carrying the dog, it didn't count either. I started swinging my arms in an exaggerated fashion, and it counted those.

When I went on a "run" today with GPS on around the neighborhood, I walked a known 1 mile loop and those steps matched previously recorded tracking with a FitBit and Endomundo.

UPDATE: I talked to MS and the rep said they thought my Band was too large, so I switched for a Small. MUCH better! It seems to be tracking all my normal walking now.

What size was you using may I ask?

I'm using a medium and feel like it fits fine/perfect. Do you think the tightening of the band on my wrist would stop the mis-reads?

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
What size was you using may I ask?

I'm using a medium and feel like it fits fine/perfect. Do you think the tightening of the band on my wrist would stop the mis-reads?

I had a medium; I switched it for small. The medium felt snug if I pushed up up my arm a bit (about 1" above the wrist "knuckles"), but it tended to slip down. Otherwise I thought it was good.

The small feels just right, and is more comfortable, and it sits naturally about 1/2" above the wrist. I am wearing it on the tightest setting when cold and loosening it up a little bit when warmer. It doesn't wobble as much from side to side either. I get just a little skin indention from the sensors, which is not tight enough to be uncomfortable -- and that seems to be working really well.

Bear in mind I kind of have freakishly small wrists for being an otherwise average sized woman - 5" in circumference. I was really surprised when the size chart showed me at a medium. You may want to try the small on for size if you get a chance, but the small is pretty, well, small.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I had a medium; I switched it for small. The medium felt snug if I pushed up up my arm a bit (about 1" above the wrist "knuckles"), but it tended to slip down. Otherwise I thought it was good.

The small feels just right, and is more comfortable, and it sits naturally about 1/2" above the wrist. I am wearing it on the tightest setting when cold and loosening it up a little bit when warmer. It doesn't wobble as much from side to side either. I get just a little skin indention from the sensors, which is not tight enough to be uncomfortable -- and that seems to be working really well.

Bear in mind I kind of have freakishly small wrists for being an otherwise average sized woman - 5" in circumference. I was really surprised when the size chart showed me at a medium. You may want to try the small on for size if you get a chance, but the small is pretty, well, small.

Thanks for that information. I'm using a medium and can barely get the watch to latch at the midway point but it still fits somewhat loose. If I could I would go all the way to the tightest setting on the medium but that would require two people it seems with the whole push in and release strategy of the watch.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I know what you mean. I press one end up against my chest and push the other with my pinky. You could also use the edge of a counter or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss