Time for Microsoft to really push Band

cruisezero

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
With today's underwhelming Apple watch announcement, Microsoft has a real change of jumping on top of Apple with wearables. Although the main purpose of the band and philosophy of Microsoft varies to that of Apple, the core essential functions are very similar. Apple is trying to cram too much into a small screen and all it has is its trying to leverage the app ecosystem into the wearable. With exuberant price and lowly battery life, I would call this one a big bust for Apple but I know people will be clamoring to buy one. The big kicker besides battery, NO GPS at that price point.
Microsoft should definitely come out with Band 2.0 in near future and improve upon some of the over looked functions and designs. Fact that screen can be easily scratched and its not dust/waterproof for band that was advertised as sports band was a big negative for me. Plus the software does not seem robust. Microsoft is adding and improving the software case in point the new web portal (which should have to there at launch).

Sound off on comments what you expect Microsoft to do to enhance the consumer experience and what would you like to see in Band 2.0?

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Time for Microsoft really push Band

The Band is already far better then Apples new watch. A world wide launch is all MS needs to beat Apple IMO.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Better or not the reality is the apple watch will sell better than the band because it will be marketed well and actually be available to buy in places other than the US. And even with the question about usability of apps on such a small screen apple has again shown Microsoft how its done by getting high profile app support at launch which will undoubtedly pull people in. Not sure Microsoft can actually respond in any meaningful way even if they wanted to.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

I know this is WINDOWS central and for some reason, we want to see Apple fail, but to say the Watch will be a bust before it even goes on sale is naive in the extreme. A lot of people, some otherwise very intelligent, have said the same things about other Apple products(including one Steve Ballmer) and were proven wrong. I expect the same to happen with the Watch.

cruisezero

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I would call this one a big bust for Apple but I know people will be clamoring to buy one
Keyword: I (Its my opinion that the Apple watch is nothing more than just a crapshoot product as of now. I admit they have good marketing and some of their products were/are polished and I use them too.)

I know this is WINDOWS central and for some reason, we want to see Apple fail, but to say the Watch will be a bust before it even goes on sale is naive in the extreme. A lot of people, some otherwise very intelligent, have said the same things about other Apple products(including one Steve Ballmer) and were proven wrong. I expect the same to happen with the Watch.

Edit: additional clarification

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Check out iVerge and cNet to see them all gushing over it lol
The truth (as much as it pisses me off) is that Apple will still millions of the ******* things, and the pro Apple sites will downplay all of its shortcomings, as usual.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
MS has already lost. They have little confidence in their device whereas Apple is putting the full weight of the brand behind the Apple watch. They will sell more Apple Watches in the first week than MS will the entire year, and they will never catch up. I'm not terribly impressed with the Apple Watch myself, but not trying to be unrealistic about what's going to happen.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how things are in other countries, but in the UK, a lot of people are able to afford iPhones because the cost of the phone is spread over the course of a two year contract, making it a manageable amount per month for most people.

That won't be an option with the Watch, so you'll need a spare ?350 at least if you want one (we all know the dollar price will convert directly to GBP). Which I think puts it out of reach of a good deal of people. If it was as essential a device as a phone, then people would find the money. But as it is I think it will have a relatively limited appeal, and by limited appeal I mean they'll still shift millions. But it'll just be out of reach of your average Joe.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Well first, the Microsoft is a fitness band first, watch second with smartphone capabilities.

The Apple SmartWatch is just that a watch with smartphone capabilities.

Two different targets, two different demographics.

Hence why one is $199 and the other is $349 (also including the price of being an "Apple" product)

It's time for Microsoft to take the Band slowly and see how the market will play out and to continue working on the first Band. The Band is a good 1.0 product and they keep upgrading it which is good besides the small things like it not being waterproof and not being scratch-proof. The thing is Microsoft have to decide will the Band 2 be still fitness band or will they change and make it more of a watch. With their desire to push their Health App and all of its benefits I see them pushing more for a fitness band than a watch, hence you can't compare the Band and the Apple SmartWatch.

It's like people who compare the Surface and a MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
......The truth (as much as it pisses me off) is that Apple will still millions of the ******* things, and the pro Apple sites will downplay all of its shortcomings, as usual.

Why does it pi$$ you off? Is it because its Apple? That's silly.

MS, along with others, just need to do better.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
....Hence why one is $199 and the other is $349 (also including the price of being an "Apple" product)......

Do you think Apple Watch will be buckled, peel and separate at joints after wearing for 3 months as several threads on this forum show?

It is the price of being an Apple product....

Disclaimer - I have iPhone and a Mac, but have no intention buying an Apple Watch. At least the current version anyway. I have a Band since Xmas and I like it for the most part.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
MS, along with others, just need to do better.

This is the sentiment missing from practically all the pro Microsoft comments after any apple announcement. Microsoft seems to always do things half baked then apple comes along and does a smooth job but Microsoft is praised while apple is vilified?

Yes its expensive but really, why aren't more people asking why Microsoft cant release what is (or was now) a product that has global demand and is quite an accomplished device, instead the best they can do is US only best buy stores where there'll probably be low stock levels. All to the tune of the apologists spewing excuses.

At the end of the day, MS dropped the ball, apple scored a hit, deal with it. Because if history tells us anything, this wont be the last time this happens.

Unless Windows 10 saves everything, of course....... /s

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If they want to really push it then they need to move it from a development platform and into what they set out to do - a platform that any manufacturer can incorporate into their devices.
And getting the technology (by any manufacturer) available. Especially outside the US.
In the Windows environment, Wellograph, Surge etc are taking dollars that could/should be heading into MS' coffers.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
By the action on the stock market Apple stocks lost a lot of money after the announcement seems not many people were impressed with the watch. Guess it didn't go over to big on wall street. Seems it might be a flop

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

"Better or not the reality is the apple watch will sell better than the band because it will be marketed well "

Absolutely!

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Waterproof and shock proof would be awesome.

This device should not have to be taken off. I should shower with it, go for a swim, work, live with it on.

Also partner with the Federal government (sorry I live in Canada) and allow people to choose to share information publicly. Even with my doctor.
MS created the Xbox and Kinnect - can that be engineered into a phone. What info could we get from that technology?

Then add in the Smartphone capabilities. Being able to buzz someone (Taptic) is brilliant. Soon - different buzzes for different people.

But let Apple pave the way, a bit ... they might get it wrong....

Mr. V

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05