Water resistance test, oops

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, I inadvertently tested the waterproofing of my Band. In the past I had dime some pretty sweaty workouts and the Band has fared just fine. The inner metal bezels haven't rusted or anything.

Today I took it a step further in a bone head move. I decided to clean out my pool skimmer with my left hand the Band was on. I submerged the Band for 15 seconds before realizing I was drownings Band.

To my surprise, it ran the whole time. I took it off and dried it off and put back on my wrist. 10 hours later it's still humming along.

I love this thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Good to know, I'd like a band, but do exactly those same things. In fact will open the pool next month or two, so like that it survives. Still holding out for band2

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ive wondered about its resistance. I regularly wash dishes with it on, sometimes spraying water on it pretty good, and havent had any issues.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
However, I'd be careful about immersing it in dishwater - the whole point of soap is the eliminate water's surface tension so it can get to the dirt. But that also means it can get by seals that would keep tap water out.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the purpose of soap is to emulsify so that the dirty parts can be washed away. so you get formation of micelles around the oil/dirt which then is easily washed away. the nonpolar part of soap binds to the oil/dirt. the polar part faces outward so that water can carry the micelles away.

I don't see how soap allows water to get by seals.

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I would also think the surfactants in detergents would cut down the Surface tension so that water that would normally stop at small gaps will now seep through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
It's nice to know if I take it kayaking I probably don't have to worry about some water dribbling or a brief plunge.

Soap aside, immersing a unit in warm/hot water (like showering or dishwater) is a different ballgame than cold, isn't it?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Well this was more this a simple submerge and it held up pretty good.

Sorry, but that looks like a gentle (minimal dynamic forces) submerge to a shallow depth in straight water (no detergent). I'd still not consider that a green light to subject it to a real-life situation like swimming or washing dishes. It may offer protection for forgetfulness, but that's not the same as being able to do it with no consequences - which is what people really want.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree with you, but running in the rain, bike riding, ok. But any soap and water , swimming pools, NO go.I bet swimming in the pond or naturally water is would hold up for quite a while, but dont take me word for it :)

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if we use the neverwet spray what happens

Is there such a spray or you jive talking? lol Going to have to bing that. But I would assume if there is a spray it would help, because of the mic area and would probably enable it to hear you clearly. Just going to have to wait for version 2 for full water proof.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there such a spray or you jive talking? lol Going to have to bing that. But I would assume if there is a spray it would help, because of the mic area and would probably enable it to hear you clearly. Just going to have to wait for version 2 for full water proof.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I think you link a video but I just see empty space, which happens to me too., lol But I look it up, I doubt this would work for a few reasons. But interesting stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss