Piggy back off of phone GPS

BlueBomber

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody -

I don't have a Band yet, but will hopefully be getting one later this month. I am currently training for a marathon, and had a couple of questions regarding the GPS functionality:

How long does the battery last with the GPS on (I believe this is called 'run mode')?

Is it possible for the band to utilize the GPS in my phone to make the battery last longer? I typically carry my phone in a spi-belt around my waist, and thought it would be awesome if i could save some battery life by using the phones GPS instead.

​Thanks!

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
IIRC, it's rated for 5 hours. No, it can't use external GPS, but you can turn the GPS off. But then you only get average pace, not pace in different parts of your run.

mfm77

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I posted this awhile ago, so sorry for the repeat, but I did the Philly Marathon in November and used my Band then for the first time. With the display off but with GPS and HR on, it lasted for over 5 hours (5 for the marathon and post-marathon activities). It definitely needed charging by the time I got back to my hotel, but it was a champ during the run.

I also did the NYC Half yesterday and left the display on with GPS and HR going, too. No issues whatsoever (finished in 2 hours 16 minutes) - even held onto the GPS running through Times Square and with tall buildings all over the place. :) The band also paired nicely with Map My Run (my app of choice) and instantly uploaded my stats to it.

Needless to say (and I'm an iPhone/iPad/MacBook owner), I'm loving my Band and have no plans on ditching it...until version 2 comes out. :-D

BlueBomber

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Excellent! Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure if it would be able to last the length of a marathon (gunning for 4 hours, but we'll see :eek:rly:).

I just got the email notification this morning saying the band shipped, so I should have have some time to play with it beforehand!

Thanks again!

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Stories like this is what sets the band apart from other fitness bands, etc and needs to be heard more of. The ability of the GPS even with New Yorks city building, uploading your data to Map MY Run, Battery life and also the ability to send this info to Micoroft health is great. Not to mention the cross platform app with a great web portal with MORE info to access. The scary thing people dont understand is that the Band is just goging to get better even with Version 1 with more people using the band and Microsoft Insane Could Platform to harness and improve this device functionality and Fitness forumals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans