Ideas for Band apps! Post your ideas, and devs, look here for suggestions

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I'd really like to see a loyalty card app that lets you display the bar codes for loyalty cards similar to the starbucks app. That would really come in handy.

Met experience with phone apps was that many barcode scanners can't read the screen. I don't know if it's the glass is reflective or what.

chrisgull

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to have a Band SDK that actually lets me build Band apps.

Specifically, I'd like to be able to:
- Read and log GPS data in the band (while not connected to a phone), as well as all other sensors
- Access NFC (there is an NFC sensor, right? Starbucks app?)
- Control all aspects of the display and UX including images, touch UI, action button
- Control Bluetooth to for example send data to unpaired devices (for social interaction, for example).

I think the hardware is great but the current SDK and its limited ability to basically add notification tiles comes nowhere near the potential of the platform.

chrisgull

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Met experience with phone apps was that many barcode scanners can't read the screen. I don't know if it's the glass is reflective or what.

The demand for screen-reading barcode scanner has increased a lot, and manufacturers are aware of this. Newest scanners are quite good at reading screens.

As always, build solutions based on tomorrow's technology rather than today's or yesterday's tech.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
A way to locate my phone, if I somehow misplace it by watch and vice versa. (Example) I lost my phone in the house, "hey find my phone" or something. Make it ring.

Just possibly for that odd time.

rsp57

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
This may also be more of an MS update than a dev app, but I would LOVE to see a "hiking" mode to go alongside the run and bike modes. The simple implementation would be exactly like the run, but would be filed and kept separately as stats in MS Health. A more ambitious implementation could involve climbing/descending sense. Seems like an easy and obvious addition of existing functionality!

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
1. Wake up alarm when in shallow sleep mode.
2. Some way to give turn notifications when following a course for biking, hiking, driving, etc.
3. Connect the dots for sleep deprived people--automatically tell me what am I doing when I sleep best and what I am doing when I sleep the worst.

euphonic code

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Just to reiterate, in the Microsoft Band SDK's current state, developers are able to only do the following:

1. Write an app for the phone that can read sensor data from the Band in real time.
  2. Send a text notification to the Band
  3. Create a tile on the Band that can receive text notifications with small icons from a phone app.
  4. Change Me Tile background, and theme colors.

Note that currently connection to the Band will not persist if the app is moved to the background or the screen is locked.

Developers cannot write apps for the Band that actually do anything directly on the Band. No custom alarm apps, no barcode displays—nothing. The Band cannot initiate connection with a phone, (Not that this matters, as developers cannot write apps that have any functionality on the Band) so no apps that ring phones, no apps that control music, etc..

Last edited:

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
A way to locate my phone, if I somehow misplace it by watch and vice versa. (Example) I lost my phone in the house, "hey find my phone" or something. Make it ring.

Just possibly for that odd time.

THIS, microsoft needs to implement this officially, i cant tell you how many time ii find myself going on windowsphone.com to ring my phone, being able to do it on my band would be so convient

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

1. Write an app for the phone that can read sensor data from the Band in real time.
  2. Send a text notification to the Band
  3. Create a tile on the Band that can receive text notifications with small icons from a phone app.

I think my wish list app could work then.

I want an app that reads my skin temperature and alerts me if I am overheating. Since getting heat exhaustion and ending up in the hospital a few years ago, I seem prone to overheating now and am a little paranoid and overcautious about it. And the first thing that goes is your sense of judgement -- so a little nag would be helpful.

Incidentally, it would also warn of an impending hot flash, although I'm not sure that would be particularly helpful. :)

dan.booth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Band battery percentage indicator - this could be both a tile option on the band itself or something that's visible in MS Health on the phone.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I think that could be made into a simple option setting, because when you pull the screen to the right you get the battery icon of level its at. But that could easy be change to a number reference, which I would welcome as well :)

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
If I am understanding the developer capabilities properly, I would love some of the golf gps apps already on the phone be compatible with the band. I could have my phone in my bag or pocket but user the band as my gps

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I want a game you can play without being obvious during a meeting. :cool:

It would probably have to be a strategy game, so you can keep it casual. Bonus points if part of it can be played without looking at the screen. (Perhaps using the haptic feedback and motion sensors.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99