Cleaning the Microsoft Band (specifically charger port)

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how you are supposed to clean the charger port on the Microsoft Band? I have seen that it is getting quite dirty(had it since day 1) and didn't want to use something like water or windex or alcohol on that part if it is going to break it. I feel like it won't take a charge as easily recently. Any ideas on how to clean it?

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I use a Q-tip and 91% alcohol dip the Q-tip in alcohol squeeze it till it is just slightly moist and rub the charging contacts and the inner area which gets sweaty along the sides of the band any where it gets dirty and sweaty. I have been doing this since Nov no problems

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The area around the charging port on my Band appears to oxidising or something with the sweat from my wrist. Eventually the Band would not charge. I cleaned it with a non-scented baby wipe (all I had around) and that seemed to fix the problem temporarily. I've had to clean it again twice since then.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I use a Q-tip and 91% alcohol dip the Q-tip in alcohol squeeze it till it is just slightly moist and rub the charging contacts and the inner area which gets sweaty along the sides of the band any where it gets dirty and sweaty. I have been doing this since Nov no problems

alcohol of any kind will oxidize the plasticizers in the band and it will damages the band rubber parts and they may delaminate. Don't use alcohol on the band it's says so in the paperwork that came with the band in the cleaning section. STOP please

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty, and this comes from the days of old where games came on cartridges, use a pencil eraser. Not the new fancy kind, but the old school pink erasers. No chemicals to worry about, no damage to the plastics and it will give it a nice shine and take out any oils and other residue.

WinampLlama

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem of it getting power when plugged in but battery not charging. Part of the metal ring around the charging port was blocking one of the metal contacts so I used a flathead screwdriver to scrap it off. Probably not the best solution but now it charges no problem

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I just use very small amount of mild soap and water on my finger tip and just rub the entire Band to clean - both topside and underside. Then I use just water on my finger tip to rinse and dry with cloth towel. Since its water resistant, short and small amount of water I use shouldn't be a problem at all.

After 3 months, no issues on charging or rubber covering or anything.

Techywarrior

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
:( I've had my Band for 10 days now and it won't charge. Worked fine the first charge. Second time I tried to charge the contacts were really black so I tried to clean it with rubbing alcohol and then used a screwdriver to scratch off really hard crud. That allowed me to charge it but now I need to charge it again and nothing works. The contacts don't really look dirty but nothing happens when I plug it in.

If I turn off the Band and plug it in then it will turn itself on but still won't start charging.

This seems like a major design flaw with the Band. Shouldn't there be a rubber covering or something since the entire point of the device is to be worn while working out which makes you sweat... and corrode the contacts.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I have had mine sent for repairs for this, I got a replacement which worked fine initially then same problem. Sent back again, they send a brand new one, and here I am again, after a few weeks and the problem is back. The charging port is a design flaw, extremely disappointing, as I like the product and enjoy using it, but I can't charge it again now.

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I have had mine sent for repairs for this, I got a replacement which worked fine initially then same problem. Sent back again, they send a brand new one, and here I am again, after a few weeks and the problem is back. The charging port is a design flaw, extremely disappointing, as I like the product and enjoy using it, but I can't charge it again now.
Common variable is the charger. I'd clean and/or replace the charger. Also, Fry's does sell electrical contact cleaner. After, 3.5 months, I haven't had to use the cleaner on my Band, but if I had issues I will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

pdawg17

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
Mine is headed that direction after only two weeks. When I first bought it the charger grabbed hard onto the Band and now I have to get each part right up next to each other before it pulls together...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs