MS Band vs the Competition

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in buying an MS Band but haven't really looked at the competition. I have a few questions:

What other devices are worth looking at?
What can the band do that the competitors can't?
What can competitors do that the band can't?
Does the band integrate better with WP than other devices (and in what ways?)

Main things putting me off at the moment are:
Not waterproof (can't use for swimming)
Several online reviews stating it's uncomfortable

I've had a FitBit, Jawbone, Band, and Pebble Steel. Forget about the FitBit and Jawbone unless all you really want it for is for fitness related features. The Band is hands down the best and it understandably integrates better on Windows Phones. How is it better? Handling text messages with reply, Cortana support, viewing your appointments, the Guided Workout is fantastic, sleep tracking and the occasional UV measuring is fantastic.

Your off putting issues about waterproofing is correct. You can't swim with it and it would be nice if it were possible. As for comfort, I find it pretty comfortable. Wear it screen down as it was intended. Online reviewers don't seem to understand that and/or they wear it for an hour then conclude it's uncomfortable. After a day of use, I don't even notice it - I became used to it. Even when I used the Pebble for a while, I had this habit of looking at the bottom of my wrist to read, but of course the Pebble sits on top. I like it on the bottom as it is more discrete and text remains private.

Since you're a WP user, you will probably love the Band.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion is to go see the Band in person. You must try it on. I did and found it too uncomfortable and clunky for my taste. However, the feature set is awesome. I chose the Fitbit Surge which I love. Currently WP doesn't support the phone notifications on the Surge. I am confident that this feature is coming soon though. I wanted a fitness device first rather than a smart device.

Eager for the release of the Band 2. I'm hoping the design will be improved. I want to want to buy one!

Felt clunky to me for about 5 days too, but that's because I hadn't worn anything on my wrist for years. After that I rarely notice it. First feelings are not necessarily indicative of long term comfort.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
because we know for sure that the light is not staying doing reading one after anther for the whole work out.
We do? Yes, in "normal" mode it runs 1 minute out of 10. In sleep mode it's 2 minutes out of every 10. In exercise mode I believe the lights are on continuously. And the display updates every few seconds.

If you're saying the lights are not on full time in exercise (Run, workout, bike, etc) mode, then that's something new. I'd like to see what you find.

If you're doing an exercise without putting the Band into an appropriate mode, then yes, there's going to be issues. But then, unless it's in some kind of exercise mode, it won't display HR continuously. You'll have to keep pushing buttons to bring up the screen.

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
In terms of the competition, Apple will set the baseline, whether it is relevant or not. It's the stories like in this link which will make the Apple look lightyears ahead of all competition. Even if Microsoft could come up with a way of demonstrating the value of insights gathered over the past months and before the launch for further product development, it will only be seen as a meager copycat of what has been going on in the "super-secret" Apple sports lab.

I just wish they would publish more, tell more and explain how it all has been done, how it works and what it can do in the future.

[video]http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/20/8264241/apple-watch-secret-fitness-lab[/video]

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
In terms of the competition, Apple will set the baseline, whether it is relevant or not. It's the stories like in this link which will make the Apple look lightyears ahead of all competition. Even if Microsoft could come up with a way of demonstrating the value of insights gathered over the past months and before the launch for further product development, it will only be seen as a meager copycat of what has been going on in the "super-secret" Apple sports lab.

I just wish they would publish more, tell more and explain how it all has been done, how it works and what it can do in the future.

[video]http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/20/8264241/apple-watch-secret-fitness-lab[/url]

OMG why did you show me this and then a video. Such BS and 2 years!! lol Also Microsoft is working with REAL athletes monitoring players performance using wearable some high tech ****. Hololens was super secret this was just a stage to sell more watch to the apple mindless. hehe

They are not even sweating, none of them, lol what a joke. Well played apple well played.

Last edited:

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Kronus, I don't doubt. Probably Msft is doing the same - but it keeps quiet. From the stories Apple feeds the media with, you get the idea that there is only one real innovator in the sports monitor business. It is not true, but nowhere Apple claims to be the only one - they are just better than anyone else in packaging that for general consumption.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Kronus, I don't doubt. Probably Msft is doing the same - but it keeps quiet. From the stories Apple feeds the media with, you get the idea that there is only one real innovator in the sports monitor business. It is not true, but nowhere Apple claims to be the only one - they are just better than anyone else in packaging that for general consumption.

Microsoft actually posted a video about it, i'm looking for it now, it was pretty amazing too, much more then apple employees not even sweating on trade mills, and elliptical machines, lol Will post video when I find it :)

damn finally found it :) But they are just using Microsoft sql severs but with the data it made a difference in there 2014 season. Which is Microsoft Health is going to do with the band!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02bUUZO8274
http://news.microsoft.com/features/...h-sql-server-and-fitness-tracking-technology/
they had a bad 2013 season and finish 4th in there western division and 2014 they finish 1st.

Last edited:

Brian Farkas

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Some things to keep in mind do with you negatives. There are no fitness devices with equivalent abilities which are waterproof. Also I tell everyone to go try it on, as it is completely comfortable, for some people, others not so much. Really is personal preference.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Some things to keep in mind do with you negatives. There are no fitness devices with equivalent abilities which are waterproof. Also I tell everyone to go try it on, as it is completely comfortable, for some people, others not so much. Really is personal preference.

I went to a store a 2 days ago and it was surprising comfortable :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans