So much for the pebble working, update watch and now getting an error message ....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I got a pebble watch the other day, it was VERY out of date (it was on 1.14 when the current version of 2.9.1). As with the Pebble app, we can't update it, so I grabbed my wife's iPhone and updated it to 2.9.1.

The reason I wanted to update it is, that every Watch face requires the SDK 2.0 or higher, so with my watch on 1.14, none of them would even install.

Now the Pebble gives an error message (this comes every hour or so) "Please update the App on your phone Version 2.0 or higher is required" I'm sure that app in the store wont be updated.

Sigh, just finally got the app and it was working good too.... It still works but, you get these messages a bunch of times (I have gotten it 3 times over about 3 hours)

Anyone know how to hide these messages so I can stop these messages ?

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I installed firmware 2.9.0 with Pebble Watch Pro for Windows Phone. I am using the version of MS app downloaded from the WP store and I am not getting those messages. I have heard of others getting those messages from that app but not me. It could be related to the specific watch apps you are running. (Disclosure I wrote Pebble Watch Pro and Pebble Watch Lite.)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I installed firmware 2.9.0 with Pebble Watch Pro for Windows Phone. I am using the version of MS app downloaded from the WP store and I am not getting those messages. I have heard of others getting those messages from that app but not me. It could be related to the specific watch apps you are running. (Disclosure I wrote Pebble Watch Pro and Pebble Watch Lite.)

I have 2 apps installed for the Pebble, The one Microsoft has in the store (directly downloaded and installed) and I did buy your Pebble Watch Pro app. Those are the ONLY 2 apps I have installed to work with the Pebble on my Denim device.

I was going to manually install the firmware 2.9.0 but, finding a link that directly opened it so I could install it from your app was tricky. Any link I would put in your app would give an error (tried Onedrive and mybox drive). My wife has a iPhone so I figured that would be the quickest and best way to do it.

On the watch, I have one watch face installed, it's just the enhanced text clock that has the date at the bottom and adds the "oh" to 8:01 instead of just saying "Eight One". That is it.

I could not find a thread on this else where, do you know of a place where it is discussed ?

Also, if your not having a problem with 2.9.0, do you have a link to it ? I assume it's possible to downgrade a firmware on the watch, if that is the quickest way to download fix it, I will try anything at this point.

Every message, email, or notification that comes it, it also gives this message now. It's very annoying and if this keeps up I will have to find another option for a smart watch and sell this one off, it's that annoying.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
@DavidinCT - Pebble Watch Pro can install the firmware directly. You do not need to find it. Go to the second option on the AppBar the one that looks like a clock. The pivot options are "Install Apps, Remove Apps, Alerts, Firmware and URL". Then move to the 3rd pivot on the right you should see it headed "firmware". You should see your current firmware information. Then click the button that says "Get Firmware Options". It should list all the available firmware options for your Pebble. The latest one there currently is 2.9.0. Click that and you will be able to download and install the firmware.

If this does not work, let me know and I can provide further help!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
@DavidinCT - Pebble Watch Pro can install the firmware directly. You do not need to find it. Go to the second option on the AppBar the one that looks like a clock. The pivot options are "Install Apps, Remove Apps, Alerts, Firmware and URL". Then move to the 3rd pivot on the right you should see it headed "firmware". You should see your current firmware information. Then click the button that says "Get Firmware Options". It should list all the available firmware options for your Pebble. The latest one there currently is 2.9.0. Click that and you will be able to download and install the firmware.

If this does not work, let me know and I can provide further help!

Slide over to the firmware screen, Current firmware 2.9.1 and recovery 1.5.5 Serial starts with a Q and hardware version V3R3

Select "Get Firmware options", it will return "Currently there are not firmware updates available for your pebble!"

Even when I was on 1.4.1 it did the same thing, It would never show a firmware update, this is why I had to use my wife's iPhone to update it.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh. You have hardware version V3R3. That's new. Pebble Watch Pro supports updating 4 versions of the firmware (V2R2,V3R1,V3R2 and 102V1). I will try to get V3R3 added this weekend. Look for an update to PWP next week after MS approves it. Sorry for the confusion.....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh. You have hardware version V3R3. That's new. Pebble Watch Pro supports updating 4 versions of the firmware (V2R2,V3R1,V3R2 and 102V1). I will try to get V3R3 added this weekend. Look for an update to PWP next week after MS approves it. Sorry for the confusion.....

So, do you have a direct link anywhere so I can manually install 2.9.0 or will it not install from your app because of my hardware version ?

Or do you have a text XAP that you can set to expire or something, I did pay for it, just want to fix this ASAP as every thing that comes in shows this message.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You could try to create a firmware at pebblebits.com. When it shows you the download link which should end in .pbz, press and hold it until you can copy the link. Then go to PWP and go to the URL install and and press and hold the big white box until you can paste the like. Then you can try to download and install it.

It may work but I am not sure because it may want to verifiy the firmware is a supported version. I spent lots of time trying to make sure people could not install the wrong firmware so with out looking through the code, I am not sure. I am at work now so I will not be able to investigate further until this weekend.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You could try to create a firmware at pebblebits.com. When it shows you the download link which should end in .pbz, press and hold it until you can copy the link. Then go to PWP and go to the URL install and and press and hold the big white box until you can paste the like. Then you can try to download and install it.

It may work but I am not sure because it may want to verifiy the firmware is a supported version. I spent lots of time trying to make sure people could not install the wrong firmware so with out looking through the code, I am not sure. I am at work now so I will not be able to investigate further until this weekend.

Nope, wont work, Tried 2.9 with my hardware version...
pebble1.JPG

It gave a link of
http://pebblebits.com/static/fw/2.9-v1_5-sym+en.pbz

Place in your app and I get the message " this firmware is not compatible with your Pebble!"

Crap, looks like I am stuck....Might just disable this watch and stop using it till I can find a fix for it :(

Edit: found another app in the store that will install firmware "SKIM" using that I was able to install the firmware with no issues (I agree protection is better but, in some cases it can be a problem as in this case).

Now testing to see if that resolved the issue...

EDIT 2: Nope still does it, Still gives the "Update your app" message...PHUCK !

Last edited:

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry to hear that. Try this if you have a chance. Launch Pebble Watch Pro and just leave it running on your phone. See if you still get that message while PWP is running. Wish I had a V3R3 to test with.....

Last edited:

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I also have issues. Finally got it goinf and used my android device to go ahead and update the firmware (just bought the pebble for this >_<) And now WP refuses (or maybe the pebble software refuses?) to keep the BT connection alive :/

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I was reading through the Pebble forums in the Windows Phone thread and saw everyone is getting the message I was trying to help you with. You can see here:
Windows Phone 8 - Pebble App - Page 25 - Pebble Forums
So there may not be a fix until I get my new app working.

The Microsoft app only connects when it has an alert to send to the watch. Sometimes it does not close the connection so that may be what you are seeing.

There can only be one active connection to the Pebble at a time. So when you switch between IOS, Android and WP8.1 you may want to either disable Bluetooth on the other device or remove the Bluetooth pairings. The Android and IOS apps may keep a constant connection to the Pebble even when they are not in the foreground.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I was reading through the Pebble forums in the Windows Phone thread and saw everyone is getting the message I was trying to help you with. You can see here:
Windows Phone 8 - Pebble App - Page 25 - Pebble Forums
So there may not be a fix until I get my new app working.

The Microsoft app only connects when it has an alert to send to the watch. Sometimes it does not close the connection so that may be what you are seeing.

There can only be one active connection to the Pebble at a time. So when you switch between IOS, Android and WP8.1 you may want to either disable Bluetooth on the other device or remove the Bluetooth pairings. The Android and IOS apps may keep a constant connection to the Pebble even when they are not in the foreground.

Ok, Posted to @Pebblebits on Twitter asking if there was a work-a-round for this issue "Update your watch to 2.0"

Long story short, there is a FIX for it, but, with Pebble Watch Pro, I cant get it to install, it just says "Installing Binary" and it hangs there.

https://twitter.com/MaryasinS/status/579026393507454976

And to the link to the fix...

https://github.com/MarSoft/pebble_firmware_patches/blob/master/NoWarningOnWinPh_290.pbp

Any idea how to install this so I can resolve this issue ?

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
@DavidinCT - I have been working on an update all day to Pebble Watch Pro so that you can install the firmware on your V3R3 Pebble. Will get it pushed to the WP Store as soon as I get finished testing.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
@DavidinCT - My update has been submitted to the Microsoft App Store. The update has been approved. It will probably take a couple of hours before it will be available to download. This should allow you to install the included firmware for your V3R3 version of the Pebble or from PebbleBits using the URL install. If I can be of any assistance let me know or post a question to the Pebble Forums for the Windows 8 Pebble App thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb