Microsoft Band can measure dehydration!

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Finally had some time to do some research on the Microsoft band and all there sensors, to find a reason for the GSR sensor. Which thought it could be use for Measuring fluid levels and I was correct :), coming from the Journal of Medical Systems. The device they use was the ti chronos ez430. Going to do the 2 week trail so I can read the whole abstract and see what they found. You can read the first 2 page which is very interesting.

(Heart Rate, Galvanic Skin Response and Skin Temperature + formula + users body mass index = estimation for the amount of fluid lost is determined)

Towards a Smart Non-Invasive Fluid Loss Measurement System - Springer

Journal of Medical Systems
February 17, 2015

"In this article, a smart wireless sensing non-invasive system for estimating the amount of fluid loss, a person experiences while physical activity is presented. The system measures three external body parameters, Heart Rate, Galvanic Skin Response (GSR, or skin conductance), and Skin Temperature. These three parameters are entered into an empirically derived formula along with the user?s body mass index, and estimation for the amount of fluid lost is determined."

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Great find, thanks.

I believe the GSR could also be used to help define and track stress, particularly in conjunction with heart rate.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Great find, thanks.

I believe the GSR could also be used to help define and track stress, particularly in conjunction with heart rate.

Thanks i'm going to do a 2 week free trail, so I can read his abstract :) and see how accurate the results where. :) The band could also know what state you are in too, happy (excited), sad (unhappy), angry (distressed) and neutral (relaxed).

skin temperature sensor + heart rate sensor = GSR = emotion recognition

An Intelligent Integrated Healthcare Platform for Wellbeing and Independent Living - IEEE Life Sciences

A lot of possibility you can do.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
And I already see the flaw in that plan.

There is a flaw in every plan, Its not perfect and might be off by 5-10% and maybe more if you are outside and the temperature is 120 degrees outside, etc. I don't have the conclusion of his study and what was he findings but it was publish and might be useful for some one. There are a lot of variables but it might be helpful, still would be cool if it worked 50% of the time, lol. That's one more thing the Apple watch cant do that might make a difference in some one passing out.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Do you think that Microsoft would be on the fringe of needing FDA approval for something like that? Sorta makes you wonder what Apple wanted to do with the Watch that needed FDA approval, and why it wasn't important enough to get the approval...

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you think that Microsoft would be on the fringe of needing FDA approval for something like that? Sorta makes you wonder what Apple wanted to do with the Watch that needed FDA approval, and why it wasn't important enough to get the approval...

The Band is not a Class 1, 2 or 3 medical device so it does not require FDA approval. I don't believe any consumer fitness trackers are considered medical devices.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I would not expect to be accurate. I would expect it to be consistently inaccurate. So I would be looking at relative measurements over a period of time. That is how I would use it - look at the changes day to day, not worry to much the exact number.

I like the idea of the GSR - with time, they will get better!

Thanks,

Mr. V

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes