[BAND] How do you use yours?

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
How many of you are actually using the band as what it was meant for...a fitness monitor vs a novelty or the next "cool thing" you have gotten. There is no right or wrong answer. I am curious. How many are keeping track of their daily habits? Is it helping you at all?

For me, I can confirm it has definitely helped me put tangible numbers in front of me specially when I work out and I can see the bigger picture. What about you guys?

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm in UK and have a Pre-order for 15th Apr. I'm intending to use for notifications, Cortana and fitness tracker - seems most of what the device was designed for.

I have a Samsung Gear 2 (previous Note 3 owner) that never worked proper. I also have Polar fitness watch, GPS module and chest HR straps for 'serious' fitness stuff.

I have tried wrist HRM and like many, never really had success - at least not at high HR levels. They don't seem too bad at lower levels, but the two I tried went crazy above 140bpm, while the chest belt was reliable and accurate.

It must be hard for a company to design a wrist HR device - knowing that people will wear them differently and some might be a bad fit.

erichyde43

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I've used it as a fitness monitor since launch day. I run half marathons, and track my training with the GPS. I track my gym workouts every time. I track my sleep. Basically the thing has been a part of my life since I unboxed it. Its only off an hour every 2 days to charge. The additional smart features really have me hooked and excited to see whats coming from developers with the SDK (and expanded SDK eventually)

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up the Band on Tuesday and I have been using it to track my walks. With the better weather here now, I will be using it to track my biking also. I want to use it for the guided workouts also, that feature looks really cool. As far as tracking sleep...it is not something I plan on doing.

My one concern is durability, I'm already seeing tiny scratches on the screen. Good thing I have a few screen protectors coming.

And oh yeah....I absolutely love it!!!

Last edited:

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Nice. Same here.

I've used it as a fitness monitor since launch day. I run half marathons, and track my training with the GPS. I track my gym workouts every time. I track my sleep. Basically the thing has been a part of my life since I unboxed it. Its only off an hour every 2 days to charge. The additional smart features really have me hooked and excited to see whats coming from developers with the SDK (and expanded SDK eventually)

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up the Band on Tuesday and I have been using it to track my walks. With the better weather here now, I will be using it to track my biking also. I want to use it for the guided workouts also, that feature looks really cool. As far as tracking sleep...it is not something I plan on doing.

My one concern is durability, I'm already seeing tiny scratches on the screen. Good thing I have a few screen protectors coming.

They didn't include one for you when you bought it? I got one "military grade" screen protector included when I bought mine.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
The only purpose for Band, for me, is for fitness reason. I wouldn't consider it novelty or next cool thing...

Its too uncomfortable to wear for any other reason. I have it on all day, except when sleeping or in shower.

I wear regular analog watch on my left, and Band on right.

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
The only purpose for Band, for me, is for fitness reason. I wouldn't consider it novelty or next cool thing...

Its too uncomfortable to wear for any other reason. I have it on all day, except when sleeping or in shower.

Odd. You sure you got sized right? I have a large and it firs nice and snug and is extremely comfortable to the point I sleep in it with no issues at all.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Count me in the "use it (as intended) and love it" pile.

Reading your OP, I would have predicted near 100% of the users in this forum who actually own the device (LOL not sure what to make of the second post) would count themselves similarly. For a month or two after launch, we had a few "Why I HATE the band and returned it" threads, but the vast majority of conversation among users is very constructive and geared to learning and improving user experience. A lot of happy owners.

-Matt

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I noticed that it is much more comfortable on my left wrist where I used to wear a watch but haven't in years. It is to the point where I don't even notice it on my left wrist...and I have only had it since Tuesday.

I have tried it on my right but for some reason it is uncomfortable there. It may be due to that I have never wore anything on my right wrist. Funny thing is I also have a Disney MagicBand which feels great on the left wrist but not so much on the right. I think I'm just weird...

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Yea there are always gonna be the vanity users who never got the point of it ..or anything else for that matter and then when whatever their magical expectations were or maybe the unicorn didn't come by and sprinkle some fairy dust on their food and help them lose the weight, they get disappointed and start those I hate band threads LOL

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that it is much more comfortable on my left wrist where I used to wear a watch but haven't in years. It is to the point where I don't even notice it on my left wrist...and I have only had it since Tuesday.

I have tried it on my right but for some reason it is uncomfortable there. It may be due to that I have never wore anything on my right wrist. Funny thing is I also have a Disney MagicBand which feels great on the left wrist but not so much on the right. I think I'm just weird...

Interesting you should say that. I just switched from left to right...and OMG...GET IT OFF OF ME!! LOL. Drove me nuts in less than a minute.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How many of you are actually using the band as what it was meant for...a fitness monitor vs a novelty or the next "cool thing" you have gotten. There is no right or wrong answer. I am curious. How many are keeping track of their daily habits? Is it helping you at all?

For me, I can confirm it has definitely helped me put tangible numbers in front of me specially when I work out and I can see the bigger picture. What about you guys?

This has got to be one of the more obnoxious, passive aggressive, posts I have seen in some time. What makes you the arbiter of "what it is meant for?". I am pretty sure they include all the other notification functions, cortana integration, short texting, etc., for a reason. Likewise, I am inclined to think they have released the SDK for more than strictly fitness as well. Seriously, by using the (grammatically corrected) phrase "for what it was meant," the claim of "no right or wrong answer" becomes downright silly. You have established what you consider to be the right answer. As for me, I bought the Band for what I consider to be its intended use - a device that monitors health/fitness but does a lot more. Now everyone please go back to patting yourselves on the back regarding the purity of your usage.....

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
This has got to be one of the more obnoxious, passive aggressive, posts I have seen in some time. What makes you the arbiter of "what it is meant for?". I am pretty sure they include all the other notification functions, cortana integration, short texting, etc., for a reason. Likewise, I am inclined to think they have released the SDK for more than strictly fitness as well. Seriously, by using the (grammatically corrected) phrase "for what it was meant," the claim of "no right or wrong answer" becomes downright silly. You have established what you consider to be the right answer. As for me, I bought the Band for what I consider to be its intended use - a device that monitors health/fitness but does a lot more. Now everyone please go back to patting yourselves on the back regarding the purity of your usage.....

Thank you, Mr Grammar! LOL

BTW, I have established what I consider to be what the device was meant for, not what is the right answer. Sorry to see that you seem to have a stick up your ***.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
How many of you are actually using the band as what it was meant for...a fitness monitor vs a novelty or the next "cool thing" you have gotten.

I'm not new to fitness trackers. They DO help, if you use it as a tool and work at it. Just like any tool: buying a saw isn't going to make a back deck appear. :)

I use it as a fitness device to stave off middle aged spread and to keep the heart and body ticking along. I love the built-in GPS tracker; lots easier than using my phone and I don't have to take the phone with me all the time now. Personally, I don't have much use for the notifications, but I tell Cortana to take a note all the time while I'm driving. I don't use it for sleep tracking except occasionally when I feel guilty about not using it for sleep tracking -- it's just uncomfortable enough it tends to keep me awake.

My screen has no scratches, but the bezel sure does. Glossy black may not have been a good choice for that!

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Stephen. The most important thing for me personally is the sleep tracking, but that is based on my health situation. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else that sleep monitoring is "what it was meant for". I do love the activity tracking as well as the haptic notifications, and regularly use those features as well.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Odd. You sure you got sized right? I have a large and it firs nice and snug and is extremely comfortable to the point I sleep in it with no issues at all.

I do have large and wear it loosely. I don't like snug fitting things in general. Its about as comfortable is its going to get but still not great. I've had it and worn it everyday since Christmas.

My preference is metallic band (all of watches I've owned have been metallic) and really don't like the sticky/tacky feel the rubber material gives. I've tried wearing leather strap watches in the past and Band reminds me of that.

I noticed that it is much more comfortable on my left wrist where I used to wear a watch...................I have tried it on my right but for some reason it is uncomfortable there.............. I think I'm just weird...

You have something there.... Its feels bit more natural on my left than right. But not enough to swap my watch to right and Band to the left.

As for you being weird, well, I'm just not going there...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)