Numbness in middle finger from wearing the MS Band

nyube

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Band for more than a week now. Its medium size which I set it bit less than finger width space on my left wrist facing down. I've started noticing numbness in my middle finger earlier today and steadily getting worse. I used to have a fitbit flex for 2mo and no issues.

Has anyone else felt similar issues, i could not find a thread for this. (Newbie here.. go easy on me)

LordP666

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
what else have you been doing with that finger?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've had the Band since day one and have not had this problem.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry but this is absolutely not the right place to ask. It is totally irrelevant whether others have experienced the same thing. It is not normal and can be indicative of some degree of nerve compression anywhere from the wrist to neck or certain types of peripheral neuropathy among other things. One of the most common things is carpal tunnel syndrome but that just one of many. This is something to discuss with a doctor. Unless you are wearing the device ridiculously tight, numbness should not happen.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I am sorry but this is absolutely not the right place to ask. It is totally irrelevant whether others have experienced the same thing. It is not normal and can be indicative of some degree of nerve compression anywhere from the wrist to neck or certain types of peripheral neuropathy among other things. One of the most common things is carpal tunnel syndrome but that just one of many. This is something to discuss with a doctor. Unless you are wearing the device ridiculously tight, numbness should not happen.

Absolutely agree. If you're not wearing it way too tight, then there's something going on there that needs attention.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I used to get a slight bit of numbness in my hand. I backed off on the tightness. I think since then my body is more used to it. But I'm concerned when it's that specific. I would start asking a medical professional to make sure it isn't something more serious.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Remove the band and turn your wrist inside up and relax your hand/fingers. Set your arm against a surface (Pro 3?) so that it doesn't move when you do the next step...

Make a "karate chop" with the other hand and place it about 6 inches down from the upturned wrist. Place a couple pounds of continuous pressure and then slide it upwards along the upturned arm towards the wrist. Watch your fingers!

They should curl towards closed involuntarily.

You've got it too tight is my opinion.

I might be wrong, but I doubt this is anything serious. Feel free to consult a physician but I'm pretty sure that's all it is. Tell him/her read it on the internet cause it'll make them furious :)

And please don't misunderstand. I'm not making light of this. Just saying that if the Band caused it, then it's likely the Band causing it. Show a doc how you wear it and see what they say.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
what else have you been doing with that finger?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've had the Band since day one and have not had this problem.

Maybe this is built in by Microsoft... Have you had any leanings toward Google in the past? Have you ever thought "F*** Microsoft!" before?

They must be blocking those feelings by disabling your ability to throw Microsoft the finger. It's a firewall of sorts...

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Another possibility is not that the Band itself is too tight, but that you are resting your arm/wrist on a surface that causes some nerve compression. Or it may not be compression per se but something else, like early signs of irritation or an allergic reaction.

Either way, the first step is to switch wrists and see if the left hand improves to help rule out coincidence. If the left hand doesn't improve, go to a doc -- you could have compression almost anywhere from your neck to your wrist or something else causing neuropathy and these things are usually minor if sorted out early on.

If the symptoms switch to your right hand, return your Band; it's not for you.

locokip

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a few snarky commenters below, but I had a similar issue with my Band at first. When I used to wear a normal watch, I would wear it kind of loose so that it could slide around a bit and typically rest at the "bottom" of my wrist, right where my wrist meets with my hand. I also wore it "face up" like a typical watch. After only a couple days, I started having pain in my fingers and top part of my hand. I removed the band for a couple days and the pain remained. It was even sore to the touch like it was bruised. I also noticed that the heart rate monitor was not always detecting because I was wearing it so loose.

So, instead of ditching the whole enterprise, I decided to wear it differently. I moved it further up my wrist so that it rests above (closer to my elbow) the bony protrusions of what I think is the ulna and humorous bones (don't know if that is the correct anatomy or not). Basically about 2 finger widths further up my wrist from the joint with my hand. Also, at that location I was able to tighten it up snugly so that it doesn't slide at all. I still have it face up.

Although awkward at first, I got used to this location after about a week and the pain in my fingers and hand went away completely. I wear it almost 24/7 and only take it off in the water/shower and when I sleep. I think that location also makes typing on the keyboard a non-factor as well.

Hope that helps. I would just advise to be patient in selecting a new "wear location" if that is an option for you. I've been wearing it for 5 months now and absolutely love it!

Thanks,

LocoKip

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers