04-26-2015 04:44 PM
81 1234
tools
    Apple watch currently has no independent apps. It has to be tethered to an iPhone. Without an iPhone, the Apple Watch is useless currently. The Apple Watch it NOT compatible with Windows or Android. So, why are we talking about this here? This thread is an iMore topic.
    From a very 'ex' Apple user and now a SP3, 930, band owner.... The iWatch does have limited functions if the 'tethered' iPhone is not around (Bing is your friend). My biggest reason for abandoning Apple is the 'closed' eco system. My band works with Android, Apple and Microsoft - as does OneDrive, Office, etc.
    04-21-2015 02:54 AM
    Microsoft has just released PowerPoint and OneDrive apps for the Apple Watch.
    04-21-2015 11:16 AM
    I have friends that use Windows Phone, and I think it's great! I even bought one of those $49 Lumia 635's for my son as a replacement for an old iPod Touch. But for me, i have SO MUCH invested in Apple that no other choice would work for me. I can't even say how much I've spent on apps and games over the years. it wouldn't make sense for me to switch, even though I do like Windows Phone. So yea, for me, I'd say the same.... that's just me though....
    Do you still use all of those apps you have bought over the years? I am thinking not. If it is "so much invested" check to see if those same apps are available in the windows store. As far as music well, it's music. you can copy it to a windows phone. Let me warn you though. DO not consider WP if you are Big to music and have a large music library. The music experience on WP is absolutely Horrible compared to todays standards. every phone I have ever used that supported mp3 playing had a better music experience. I am talking way back to nokia 7710, n95, and even further back to the nokias that came out right after the interchangeable color plates for the number buttons. Motorola razer etc. I am not exaggerating and I can say it enough. If you are big into playlists and music do not ever ever ever even consider buying a windows phone. What does work very well by the way of music is purchasing stuff from the Microsoft store. that process and the tracking of the music is absolutely flawless (go figure) but anything dealing with your own music collection will probably involve you throwing the phone at a wall and using curse words you never used before. Let me know if you want a detailed list of how crapy it is and I AM a Microsoft Fanboy but its true.
    04-21-2015 11:45 AM
    I agree with you for the most part but man... the convenience of taking a glance at your wrist beats the heck out of digging in your pocket for a cell phone. Especially if you have a big *** Lumia 1520. I know it isn't a major help BUT... when you are talking about mobile devices small things like a centimeter of thickness, or removing a menu nav item from the screen real estate makes a BIG TIME difference. The band is an extension of the phone. I would love to glance at my wrist and quickly be able to decide while walking/driving/typing on keyboard at work etc. weather or not I want to respond or very passive aggressively decide to deal with that persons **** at another time.

My technology motto is that I will never, ever have more than 2 devices on me at any given time that do the same thing. I have a laptop and a phone. Some people have a tablet and a phone. You may have 3 different devices at your house that are capable of similar things. But nobody will EVER need or even benefit from having 3 devices on them at any given time that do the same thing.

Having a watch that shows me my texts and lets me do the things that my phone does, but on a much smaller screen with an uglier UI will never benefit me. I get that some people just need to have the latest tech, but smart watches are something that tech companies are trying to force on people because they have so thoroughly milked the smartphone and tablet market. There isn't much else they can do that is practical other than cram better specs in to the devices. Watches are silly. They provide the user with the same "wow" novelty factor that Siri did the first time people used it. Now how many people actually use Siri for anything?

Also I used your question to rant about watches. I apologize for that =)
    04-21-2015 12:29 PM
    I have friends that use Windows Phone, and I think it's great! I even bought one of those $49 Lumia 635's for my son as a replacement for an old iPod Touch. But for me, i have SO MUCH invested in Apple that no other choice would work for me. I can't even say how much I've spent on apps and games over the years. it wouldn't make sense for me to switch, even though I do like Windows Phone. So yea, for me, I'd say the same.... that's just me though....
    I spent thousands of 's and many years on Apples Eco system. I then went to Android briefly and now sticking with Windows. How and Why?

I insist than if any software or App is not cross platform, I don't buy, or use it. I occasionally logon to iTunes and check for software updates for my 1000+ apps. Sure I miss a few games that are only on iPhone/Android, but that's it games - is that a reason for choosing one system.

Lesson learnt from two words 'Cross Platform'. Microsoft makes software available for Apple, Android. Why doesn't Apple or Android do the same?
    oviedofreak82 and dgr_874 like this.
    04-21-2015 02:42 PM
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was part of the joke... seems he was making fun of the people who just think Apple invented everything.
    Close. My claim is that Apple is rarely the inventor of anything - but they frequently are the first to have mass appeal. I'll give them props for that.

But yeah, in most cases anyone who says Apple was the first of anything doesn't understand what came before.
    04-21-2015 03:33 PM
    I don't think it's a coincidence that the only Apple product I own also happens to be the most open Apple product: The iPod. I can get my music from CDs, MP3, and a number of sources. I'm not trapped into buying from iTunes.
    04-21-2015 03:38 PM
    I spent thousands of 's and many years on Apples Eco system. I then went to Android briefly and now sticking with Windows. How and Why?

I insist than if any software or App is not cross platform, I don't buy, or use it. I occasionally logon to iTunes and check for software updates for my 1000+ apps. Sure I miss a few games that are only on iPhone/Android, but that's it games - is that a reason for choosing one system.

Lesson learnt from two words 'Cross Platform'. Microsoft makes software available for Apple, Android. Why doesn't Apple or Android do the same?
    That is very similar to what I said earlier; when was the last time you saw Apple release an app on Windows Phone or Android; same holds true with Google/Android. That's one of the biggest gripes I have with my iPad; it does not sync via Bluetooth with my Lumia 925. I sync my wife's 635 via Bluetooth, her Surface RT tablet and my main tablet, my Dell Venue Pro 8 all via Bluetooth since using a sync cable can be a nuisance. In order to put pictures or songs on my iPad (I let my kids use that) I have to sync my phone with my desktop PC. Then connect the iPad to the computer and sync it via iTunes. Sometimes not everything gets added to the iPad. Making a long story short, it is a huge pain dealing with Apple products since you have to own every device on their ecosystem just to be efficient. Microsoft plays on all the other ecosystems and make very nice apps. Part of that is credited to the fact that Microsoft is a software company and the others are not.
    04-21-2015 04:04 PM
    I don't know about 1000s of apps ready, but I hear they are getting built. Kind of upsetting, too, considering the market share for Apple Watch will be less than WP. Yet, developers are tripping over themselves to make some apps.
    Microsoft has already released an OneDrive app for the Apple Watch, there are hundred of Apple Watch app for can already download on the app store today.
    04-21-2015 04:48 PM
    Microsoft has already released an OneDrive app for the Apple Watch, there are hundred of Apple Watch app for can already download on the app store today.
    Excactly. Also Microsoft today released a PowerPoint app for the Apple Watch.

Plus there are already Facebook, Twitter, American Airlines, JetBlue, Fifa 15, Runtastic, MLB, Porsche, BMW, heaps of news sites, magazines, newspapers etc.

How many of those will be available for the Band? I think even Runtastic doesn't have a Band app yet. Microsoft again loses a whole market because of missing apps.
    Jaredallister and DavidinCT like this.
    04-21-2015 05:21 PM
    How many of those will be available for the Band? I think even Runtastic doesn't have a Band app yet.
    I don't want to be impolite to a new forum member, but that's kind of a red herring -- the two devices are somewhat "apples and oranges." Maybe a more apt comparison would be the Apple Watch vs. Android Wear Watches?

​-Matt
    Stiv X likes this.
    04-21-2015 07:53 PM
    Because Microsoft is a developer/software company, Apple is the manufacturer. Again, I am NOT a fanboy of any vendor, but you gotta think that developers will develop for the platform that has the most percentage of the market. At times it's Apple, and at times it's Android. Why do you think you see all of the apps lately dropping from the Windows Store? I'm sure it's not TOTALLY the reason, but I'm sure it's one of them.

I don't judge ANYONE for what they use, I just want whatever they use to work for THEM, that's all. And I do wish that apps were more cross-platform, that way people wouldn't have to choose a platform rated solely on apps available.

It's getting late, and I'm starting to blab... but I hope you all get my point...
    04-21-2015 09:20 PM
    I find it interesting -- and I SWEAR I'm not being snarky -- that we're up to 63 posts in this thread, and the OP (this time, I mean poster) hasn't posted here twice. It makes me wonder what was the intent of asking in the first place. I assume the answer is: because he or she genuinely wanted to know what this community thought about the two devices. While I still think they're very different beasts that serve very different needs/personalities/tastes/lifestyles/goals/pocketbooks, sure, you wear both on your wrist and they both talk to your cell phones. So at some level it makes sense to compare them. It's just a shame that we'll go around the block 6 times and not end up anywhere. Maybe a poll would have been a better way to go!

-Matt
    04-21-2015 10:55 PM
    I've moved this thread to the Smartwatches forum, since it is not related to the Band.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    04-22-2015 12:04 AM
    I don't want to be impolite to a new forum member, but that's kind of a red herring -- the two devices are somewhat "apples and oranges."
    How so? Just because Microsoft markets the Band as a fitness device? Both, the Apple Watch as well as the Band, are typical wearables. Otherwise MS wouldn't have implemented notifications, calls, sms, Cortana, etc. into the band. And otherwise MS wouldn't have provided a SDK for the band.

The problem is that MS has again released a nice hardware product but fails on the software side. I remember how developers always said with WP7/8 that they don't develop for the platform because of missing APIs. The same is happening right now with the Band.

Apple on the other hand is pushing developers into developing for the Apple Watch and has just recently started a "free Apple Watch for iOS developers" program.

The Apple Watch gets released about six months after the Band but still beats it by app support by a mile. There should be 1000s of Band apps right now, but Microsoft apparently decided to play catchup again.

Why shouldn't it be possible to control PowerPoint from the Band like you can now do with the Apple Watch? Why shouldn't you be able to manage OneDrive with your Band like you can do with the Apple Watch? Just because the Band is a fitness device?
    theefman likes this.
    04-22-2015 08:06 AM
    How so? Just because Microsoft markets the Band as a fitness device? Both, the Apple Watch as well as the Band, are typical wearables. Otherwise MS wouldn't have implemented notifications, calls, sms, Cortana, etc. into the band. And otherwise MS wouldn't have provided a SDK for the band.
    Dave, I may have misunderstood your original post. If you're proposing that the Band could function as a "remote control" for the phone (or even a PC) then the gap between the two devices is pretty small. I'm not sure what you mean by "manage OneDrive" with the Band, though.

​For sure, I don't know the specs in detail on the Apple Watch, but my impression from afar is (a) it has a significantly more detailed display, which in itself affords a bit more interactivity and functionality, and (b) I'd presume that the internals offer more functionality than the Band as well. From that perspective, it's probably a flawed analogy but I'd suggest: the Band is like a chef's knife and the Apple Watch is like a multi-function food processor. They're both (presumably) great tools in the right hand, but one is certainly more versatile than the other.

-Matt

PS There's no disagreement about apps...marketing...the cult-ure of the two respective communities. In that case Microsoft could always do better.
    04-22-2015 12:24 PM
    I am not getting one, nor is anyone in my household, I would rather wipe my behind with a cactus than buy anything with an apple logo on it.
    EL620, Stiv X and nohra like this.
    04-22-2015 05:40 PM
    The problem is that MS has again released a nice hardware product but fails on the software side.

The Apple Watch gets released about six months after the Band but still beats it by app support by a mile. There should be 1000s of Band apps right now, but Microsoft apparently decided to play catchup again.

Why shouldn't it be possible to control PowerPoint from the Band like you can now do with the Apple Watch? Why shouldn't you be able to manage OneDrive with your Band like you can do with the Apple Watch? Just because the Band is a fitness device?
    Go back to a Story on Windows Central that basically broke down what Microsoft did with the Band and Why.

For MS it was a proof of concept that it did not expect to catch fire like it did, which was why the limited production runs. They also had no ads about it at the start, no TV spots.

They wanted to only license the tech to Fitbit and others.

They also wanted to round up Health Bands by Fit and so on to come under Microsoft Health App.

So it's not really a case of playing catch up, more a case of being caught unaware of what happened.

They did not expect Tech/Fitness junkies to go ga ga in reviews and push awareness of the device past other fitness band makers to the wearable marketplace.

They know now, and they could have followed with a Watch that could have taken a little Thunder from Apple ( I'll admit not much), but enough to make a wave or two.

So it only looks like they playing catch up, but they didn't even have people in place at the time to handle Marketing it for the consumer, which was why the huge delay to get it over to the British market to sell.....again in low numbers as they didn't plan this as a main stream consumer device.

So without knowing it they hit a walk off grand slam home run, and sadly are facing third base blocking home plate not even aware they should run around the bases!!
    04-22-2015 07:19 PM
    I am not getting one, nor is anyone in my household, I would rather wipe my behind with a cactus than buy anything with an apple logo on it.
    Ouch that's some rough toilet paper!
    04-23-2015 05:01 AM
    I've ordered one. I've never had the Microsoft Band (yet) but I just sold my Samsung Gear S which was amazing and I feel naked and a little lost without it awaiting my Apple Watch in June. The point I'm making though is although the Samsung Gear S (and possibly other Smart Wearables) is better in loads of ways to the Apple Watch, app and software support is limited and the full potential of the device can never be achieved. In my opinion I'm downgrading to the Apple Watch but I'll get a much better experience in the long term as there is overwhelming support from developers etc so I'll get more from the device. Much the same goes for Windows Phone tbh, amazing hardware and potential but we get let down by poor apps or no availability of some essential ones
    theefman likes this.
    04-23-2015 08:41 AM
    I wish I was on the list to get one...dam...

Because there is a shortage of them (just like MS did with the Band), I know I could get double or triple what I paid for it on ebay if I got it on day one...

But, for use, no, Not sure why anyone would want this one at this point. Early reviews are out, Standby time is about 18 hours, IF YOU USE IT, you might get 2-4 hours out of it.

If you wear a watch that you have to charge 3-4 times a day, it's worthless and too much of a hassle. What good is a smarwatch if it cant be smart because the battery is DEAD again...

Maybe when the iWatch 2 comes out battery will be better but, mark my words your going to see a FLOOD of complaints about the battery life on it...

I'll stick with my Pebble...
    someone2639 likes this.
    04-23-2015 03:25 PM
    Early reviews are out, Standby time is about 18 hours, IF YOU USE IT, you might get 2-4 hours out of it.
    This is just ludicrous. The sad thing is that just because it says iWatch on it, people will line up to buy it.
    04-23-2015 04:56 PM
    I'll wait. My SUPER WORLD TIME dumbwatch is better than that (well, all terms but display of course.)
    04-23-2015 04:59 PM
    What's an iWatch?
    04-24-2015 05:03 AM
    Who is getting the Apple Watch?

Answer: iFans
    04-24-2015 05:06 AM
81 1234