Who is getting the Apple Watch?

bigdog9586

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Who is abandoning their Band for the Apple watch or like me who tried for months to get a band and finally said the heck with them and ordered the Watch.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
So you're willing to spend $200 more for a name? It's completely locked down (as is the entire Apple ecosystem), has a shorter battery life and early models are very glitchy? Even the top "paid" Apple bloggers and journalists are saying to wait until the second model. I don't understand this blind loyalty to Apple. Either they have a very good advertising department or people are just that naive and stupid.

smurfalarm

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
To preface, I am currently using an Android-powered Galaxy S4 Mini, so this isn't even a debate for me. But I did look into the Apple Watch because I am interested in new technology. I have decided that even if I had an iPhone, I would easily stick with my Band. The Apple Watch looks nice, and I'm sure it will be great for people who want to do a lot of interaction with a wrist wearable. But I am not one of those people. I bought a Band so that I could measure specific health and fitness data, and so that I could see SMS/messenger/email notifications from my phone without having to pull the phone out of my pocket while I'm walking down the street or sitting in a meeting or standing on the subway. I did not buy it so I could control my phone or type messages or make payments. For those situations, I would rather pull out my phone/wallet, because I am pretty certain I would find that less burdensome, not more. The only feature that the Apple Watch provides that the Band doesn't that I am really interested in is map navigation, because that is a situation where I don't want to pull out my phone, whereas all the other features seem kind of unwieldy and would mostly be better served for me on an actual phone or using my headphones. And in its favor, the Band has some nice health sensors that the Watch apparently does not have, the longer battery life, and the $150 minimum price difference, the Band comes out on top for me, though I can see why a lot of people would prefer the Watch. Because of the specific features I was interested in, the closest competitor for me is not the Apple Watch, but the Fitbit Surge, and I mainly decide to go with the Band over the Surge because the Band is cheaper and came out earlier.

atrsh

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Go and try one yourself at the apple store. I did spend almost half an hour with it and I found the watch itself to be quite bulky,even bulkier than my Band. And the scroll wheel/crown feels so cheap with no tactile feel at all. I'll admit the colour screen is really pretty,the interface looks cool and the tavtile feedback when you press the screen is not bad, but I was not impressed with the UI intuitiveness (very confusing as you can swipe left right,up down + side button + scroll wheel + tap the screen) and for that price and marketed as fitness watch, it'd better have a built it GPS. Also imo it felt more like a ladies watch.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
since it requires an iPhone definitely no. That is likely the case for most people here on WindowsCentral I'd think. Even if Apple made it available for other OS systems, I couldn't justify the price for it. $200 is a definitely a cutoff for my impulse purchases. For >$350 it better makes me an Espresso on demand too.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
No from me. Apple can continue to make huge margins off people with a need to conform and too much spare cash but I'll pass thanks. Really don't see the smart watch thing and I like my tech. I have a smart phone...why would I want to strap on a smaller, less feature packed device to my arm. It only takes a second to whip my phone out. I have a kinetic watch that never runs out of juice and does just grand ta ;)

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I was from the birth of the first iPhone to 18mths ago a Apple fan. Not any more.

Why would anyone buy a product that is has the word 'watch' in it's name, yet need another device to operate. Oh and that other device has to be made by the same company.

Would you buy a car from a manufacturer who told you you had to use a specific fuel brand, a specific car park, etc, etc.

Sure the iWatch looks better than the band, has (reportedly) worse battery life and will no doubt sell lot's to the gullible - who have to be seen to wear one. Those same people will read about and have to put up with poor battery life, but still claim it is wonderful..... Marketing men win again - not the consumer.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Microsoft Band and have a time telling device on my wrist for the first time in maybe 20 years or so.

It actually tells me what time it is whenever I look at it and without the need to first perform any sort of action. I track my sleeping pattern, it can record my bicycle rides and my runs on its own using built in GPS. It has a built in set of workout guides from leading gyms and tells me my current heart rate, can measure my skin temperature and knows whether it's actually on my wrist or not, it measures the outside UV levels so I know when to get indoors for a bit or protect my face/skin. I get notifications of mail arriving, of schedules appointments and events and of SMS, facebook and Twitter messages to which I can even reply from the device.

I can go two days without the need to recharge doing this and do not need to have my phone nearby to use anything but the obvious functions. A colleague of mine who saw the band was quite interested and when I told him it works just as well with his Android phone he was quick to order one for himself.

All of the above for roughly half the price of an Apple Watch (?300 vs ?170)

So no, I will not be getting an Apple Watch..

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I did get in on the early pre-order, and I just might switch... for a few reasons:

1. Being that I have an iPhone, and that won't (or can't) change anytime soon, it seems the Watch is more suited for the iPhone, as the Band is more suited for Windows Phone. The proof of that is the number of third-party apps available on Windows Phone for the Band.

2. The Band doesn't play well with Bluetooth on my iPhone, which I know is Apple's fault, but again, no choice in that for me...

The 2 things I'll miss if I switch:

1. Sleep monitoring. I use it frequently to check my sleep, since I have problems from time-to-time.

2. UV sensor. I've had skin cancer twice, so I REALLY need to be careful in the sun. The UV sensor would help in that respect for me.

I'm not totally ready to give up on the Band yet, but I do admit I will try the Watch to see how it works out. Connectivity issues with the Band are getting VERY frustrating, enough that if the Watch stays connected that might be enough to make me switch. Guess we'll see on Friday... I'm in the 4/24-5/8 group but who knows when I'll get it.

And before anyone starts pointing "******" fingers at me... I am typing this on a Surface Pro 3, I do my main sports photography editing on a Windows 7 computer, but I also have a Mac Mini that controls my music/movies, and an iPad 4th Gen, so I am VERY well-rounded in my home. I just buy what works

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting one but when you get it, do a review and let me know what your impressions are beginning with why you decided to do this...

throwing-money-away.gif

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
look i am not the biggest apple fan, am windows ecosystem af, but how many times since 2007 have i seen that argument. rinse repeat, and without exception always untrue, always insisting someone has blind loyalty and/or is stupid, because they opt to buy one of their products, frankly its pathetic.

So you're willing to spend $200 more for a name? It's completely locked down (as is the entire Apple ecosystem), has a shorter battery life and early models are very glitchy? Even the top "paid" Apple bloggers and journalists are saying to wait until the second model. I don't understand this blind loyalty to Apple. Either they have a very good advertising department or people are just that naive and stupid.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
look i am not the biggest apple fan, am windows ecosystem af, but how many times since 2007 have i seen that argument. rinse repeat, and without exception always untrue, always insisting someone has blind loyalty and/or is stupid, because they opt to buy one of their products, frankly its pathetic.

Especially considering the same blind loyalty towards Microsoft exhibited on this very site....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077