Who is getting the Apple Watch?

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
look i am not the biggest apple fan, am windows ecosystem af, but how many times since 2007 have i seen that argument. rinse repeat, and without exception always untrue, always insisting someone has blind loyalty and/or is stupid, because they opt to buy one of their products, frankly its pathetic.

What I meant by that statement is that the vast majority of Apple iPhone users are so good glued to Apple that they won't for one chance even consider looking at other viably better options. For example, I have a friend of mine who still has a 4S that he recently cracked the screen on. AT&T told him that he had no warranty on his phone and there's nothing they can do.

His wife already upgraded to an iPhone 6 and had said that the new iPhone 6/6 plus doesn't speak to him. He also doesn't like his 4S' small screen. I recommended that he get a Lumia 640 XL when it comes out. He told me he's not interested (he hates Android by the way).

I offered to give him for free my extra Lumia 635 with an extra 32 GB SD card all for free just so he'll have a phone that doesn't have a broken screen. I OFFERED HIM A FREE BRAND NEW PHONE!!! He vehemently refused again. He is so loyal to Apple that there is nothing else in his opinion. If that's not blind loyalty then I don't know what is.

I am an avid Microsoft user and I've used and currently still use iOS (iPad) and Android (Motorola Xoom and Amazon Kindle Fire HD). That all have their strengthens and weaknesses. At least Microsoft plays on all other OSes. When was the last time you saw an Apple application on Windows Phone? How about Google? My point is be fair and be open minded, don't just be a follower of a trend or fad.

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
What I meant by that statement is that the vast majority of Apple iPhone users are so good glued to Apple that they won't for one chance even consider looking at other viably better options. For example, I have a friend of mine who still has a 4S that he recently cracked the screen on. AT&T told him that he had no warranty on his phone and there's nothing they can do.

His wife already upgraded to an iPhone 6 and had said that the new iPhone 6/6 plus doesn't speak to him. He also doesn't like his 4S' small screen. I recommended that he get a Lumia 640 XL when it comes out. He told me he's not interested (he hates Android by the way).

I offered to give him for free my extra Lumia 635 with an extra 32 GB SD card all for free just so he'll have a phone that doesn't have a broken screen. I OFFERED HIM A FREE BRAND NEW PHONE!!! He vehemently refused again. He is so loyal to Apple that there is nothing else in his opinion. If that's not blind loyalty then I don't know what is.

I am an avid Microsoft user and I've used and currently still use iOS (iPad) and Android (Motorola Xoom and Amazon Kindle Fire HD). That all have their strengthens and weaknesses. At least Microsoft plays on all other OSes. When was the last time you saw an Apple application on Windows Phone? How about Google? My point is be fair and be open minded, don't just be a follower of a trend or fad.

Loyalty, maybe, but not blind loyalty. Ever stop to think why people are loyal to Apple? Maybe he doesn't want anything but an iPhone because it is a easy to use product that he is heavily invested in. Maybe he doesn't want to have to take the time to learn a hole new ecosystem. Is everyone who is loyal to Apple blindly loyal?

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Loyalty, maybe, but not blind loyalty. Ever stop to think why people are loyal to Apple? Maybe he doesn't want anything but an iPhone because it is a easy to use product that he is heavily invested in. Maybe he doesn't want to have to take the time to learn a hole new ecosystem. Is everyone who is loyal to Apple blindly loyal?

I have friends that use Windows Phone, and I think it's great! I even bought one of those $49 Lumia 635's for my son as a replacement for an old iPod Touch. But for me, i have SO MUCH invested in Apple that no other choice would work for me. I can't even say how much I've spent on apps and games over the years. it wouldn't make sense for me to switch, even though I do like Windows Phone. So yea, for me, I'd say the same.... that's just me though....

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Who is abandoning their Band for the Apple watch or like me who tried for months to get a band and finally said the heck with them and ordered the Watch.

I think the premise of your question is wrong. Whilst both devices are wearable, the Apple watch is a fashion item, whose functionality includes a watch, amongst other things and cannot function without an iPhone. The Band is first and foremost a fitness product, designed to work cross-platform and connect to Microsoft's Health platform, with or without a Windows Phone or indeed, any phone. Since I already have a watch that I'm happy with, even if I was an Apple aficionado, I couldn't afford to justify getting one to replace my existing watch. However, I'm sure there are plenty of healthy reasons to justify getting a (less expensive) Band and I'd most likely keep my watch on too.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Who is abandoning their Band for the Apple watch or like me who tried for months to get a band and finally said the heck with them and ordered the Watch.

My technology motto is that I will never, ever have more than 2 devices on me at any given time that do the same thing. I have a laptop and a phone. Some people have a tablet and a phone. You may have 3 different devices at your house that are capable of similar things. But nobody will EVER need or even benefit from having 3 devices on them at any given time that do the same thing.

Having a watch that shows me my texts and lets me do the things that my phone does, but on a much smaller screen with an uglier UI will never benefit me. I get that some people just need to have the latest tech, but smart watches are something that tech companies are trying to force on people because they have so thoroughly milked the smartphone and tablet market. There isn't much else they can do that is practical other than cram better specs in to the devices. Watches are silly. They provide the user with the same "wow" novelty factor that Siri did the first time people used it. Now how many people actually use Siri for anything?

Also I used your question to rant about watches. I apologize for that =)

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Apple watch currently has no independent apps. It has to be tethered to an iPhone. Without an iPhone, the Apple Watch is useless currently. The Apple Watch it NOT compatible with Windows or Android. So, why are we talking about this here? This thread is an iMore topic.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I joked earlier in this thread that the OP (the post, I mean) was a bit trollish. Certainly the thread title had a strong spin to it. But I'm really impressed that the conversation has been pretty civil (OK, mostly civil) and respect for diverse views has more or less been the tone.

Anyway, my two cents on the issue of "smartwatches"...I kinda agree that having a device on your wrist that duplicates many of the things your phone does is not very efficient. I confess that I predicted that the Google Glass project (wearable computing) was the next logical step, so I'm puzzled that it has fallen flat. Then again, the original Android G1 was kind of an underground success. But it took the iPhone to transform the industry and make smartphones a household word. So maybe Google has it right, but the timing is not quite right yet for something like Glass.

But I *do* think that the thing in your pocket and the thing on your wrist *will* converge into one device, say, in the next 5 years. I am also very much convinced that "smart" means two things. First, I think it means "delivers content" in the sense of images, video, text, phone calls, etc. But I also think that if you're wearing that smart device, it should also naturally be keeping track of things like heart rate, daily activity, sleep patterns, etc. In other words, it should not only integrate into your daily information-consumption and communication habits, but also keep an eye on you more holistically, that is, it should follow your daily pattern of activity and point you in the right direction health-wise.

All that being said, both the Band and the Apple Watch are in an embryonic stage. I suspect that compared to whatever wearables look like 10 years from now, both of these babies will seem like final projects from first-year art and design students. They're just the first step. Equally interesting, and definitely not worth bickering over!

-Matt

Last edited:

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
First and foremost, disclosure that I have switched from Windows PC to Mac OS X 10 years ago and never looked back. I do have Win7 installed on my Mac to be compatible with some clients for work but its via virtualization.

Additionally, after struggling with various vendors' wifi networking gear, including range extender at home (read: I don't have an IT personnel to make sure its working at my house, and I am not an IT person), I changed all network gear to Apple's. In all, we are all Apple house, including iPhone, iPad, Macs and AppleTV, not to mention fair amount of AAPL stocks.

We are all Apple house because it requires no IT expertise and it simply works by plugging in. Reliability is near 100% and it all works together without any complications. Could I have gotten PC equivalents for less cost - yes. Would I have struggled and get frustrated by it- yes and have been there. We were all PC house 10 years ago (Dell, HP and then IBM desktop and laptops using XP, and countless networking gear from all the usual vendors). So its not all marketing and branding as some would suggest. Those who do, probably have not experienced Apple ecosystem or that they are proficient in IT and they are willing to work with it to make it operable.

I do own and like Band and have no intent to change to Apple Watch - at least not now. My reason is simple. I just like regular watch better and not ready to replace it. So I wear watch on my left and Band on right.

With that said...

Abandoning is probably the wrong word choice here. Who is changing to, for whatever reason...

So you're willing to spend $200 more for a name? It's completely locked down (as is the entire Apple ecosystem), has a shorter battery life and early models are very glitchy? .......Either they have a very good advertising department or people are just that naive and stupid.

I hope I'm not that naive or stupid but perhaps I am. I rather not spend the time working to connect and make all the other devices trying to work together. I rather pay more to have things work out of the box and stay working than having to make it work all the time, like I've done in the past.

As for $200 more for AW, actually, I would get the large stainless steel version with Milanese bracelet so it would be about $750 or $550 more. But I'm not buying AW because its bit too ugly for my taste.

If Apple products were really as good as their marketing we'd have a real problem ;)

Why? Do you not like good things???

........Whilst both devices are wearable, the Apple watch is a fashion item, whose functionality includes a watch, amongst other things and cannot function without an iPhone. The Band is first and foremost a fitness product, designed to work cross-platform and connect to Microsoft's Health platform, with or without a Windows Phone or indeed, any phone.................and I'd most likely keep my watch on too.

Apple would disagree with your statement. They have hired and is focused on medical experts to work on AW. Their iOS Healthkit app is far further along than MS Health. Take a look and come to your own conclusions.

As for not being able to do anything without iPh, not true. ApplePay, music, health monitoring and so on all work without having iPh present. Yes it requires iPhone to be fully functional and use other features, as well as collect data but its not required that you carry your phone with you all the time.

I'd looked into it for my wife (she actually likes it) but she uses her work-provided BB phone and does not want to carry 2 phones (I totally agree).

As for being a fashion item, isn't everything we wear have some fashion aspect to it...

Apple watch currently has no independent apps. It has to be tethered to an iPhone. Without an iPhone, the Apple Watch is useless currently. The Apple Watch it NOT compatible with Windows or Android. So, why are we talking about this here? This thread is an iMore topic.

When it releases on 4/24, its been reported that there are over 1000 independent apps already. Again, it is not useless without out iPh as one would lead you to believe.

Not intended to be compatible with Win or Android phones - its not their approach. So it probably is a deal breaker without an iPhone.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
When it releases on 4/24, its been reported that there are over 1000 independent apps already. Again, it is not useless without out iPh as one would lead you to believe.

Not intended to be compatible with Win or Android phones - its not their approach. So it probably is a deal breaker without an iPhone.

I don't know about 1000s of apps ready, but I hear they are getting built. Kind of upsetting, too, considering the market share for Apple Watch will be less than WP. Yet, developers are tripping over themselves to make some apps.

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I think the premise of your question is wrong. Whilst both devices are wearable, the Apple watch is a fashion item, whose functionality includes a watch, amongst other things and cannot function without an iPhone. The Band is first and foremost a fitness product, designed to work cross-platform and connect to Microsoft's Health platform, with or without a Windows Phone or indeed, any phone. Since I already have a watch that I'm happy with, even if I was an Apple aficionado, I couldn't afford to justify getting one to replace my existing watch. However, I'm sure there are plenty of healthy reasons to justify getting a (less expensive) Band and I'd most likely keep my watch on too.

I don't care that the Apple watch needs to always be connected to my iPhone, I've always got my iPhone on me anyways.

Though I don't own one, I like the Apple watch because of all the cool apps that it has, and Microsoft today just released One Note for it. I also like the fact that I can make and accept phone calls on the Apple watch, and it gives you notifications by tapping on your wrist. All of the other wearables vibrate.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
People are saying that it is aesthetically pleasing... I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it looks like they put the absolute LEAST amount of effort and wrapped it in a VERY plain casing. I mean, seriously, could it lack any MORE definition or character? Some will say it is sublime. I say BORING. That's just me though.

Last edited:

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
If you want to impress people [maybe] think it makes you look good and have an expensive toy get the apple watch. If your a person looking for a health tool that can actually do you some good at a reasonable price and your not a I got to impress ever one and look like a million dollars get the Microsoft Band it's as simple as that.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
the apple watch has two glaring problems that I just can't get over, so no I won't be getting one.
1) you need an iPhone and I don't have one, nor want to spend the money to get that AND a watch
2) the watch and said iphone are made by Apple

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Though I don't own one, I like the Apple watch because of all the cool apps that it has, and Microsoft today just released One Note for it. I also like the fact that I can make and accept phone calls on the Apple watch, and it gives you notifications by tapping on your wrist. All of the other wearables vibrate.

You can't own an Apple Watch because it's not yet available and it seems it won't be for quite a while.

What's all the cool apps you talk about, what apps will you be using on the minute screen which will not eat away at the already mediocre battery life (confirmed). And it does not even tell the time without you physically touching it first,

Tapping on your wrist if just Apple's way of saying it vibrates.. don't you get it? A 'tap' is just a very short vibrate.. Apple just likes to make things sound as if they are unique to their products or special while they really are just like the features found on any other non-Apple device.

Some ppl are just so gullible..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05