Who is getting the Apple Watch?

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm buying one, but hear me out!

The company is giving me a $150 allowance to buy a "Fitness" monitoring device, so I've ordered the Sport. Tell me you wouldn't buy one for $200. I am still using my Band and the Pebble Steel is collecting dust (anyone wanna buy it off me?). My L920 won't read my SIM card (another thread) so I may as well try out something that better integrates with the iP6.

Yes it's locked down because Apple's a punk like that and it's overpriced because people will still buy it, but the Watch is pretty usable. I'd love to see a MS Watch release shortly after WP10 comes out. Then I will likely sell my iP6 because it has great resale value and the Watch (if it doesn't get returned first) and finally be back on WP when they come out with some new g-damn flagship phones!
:grin:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been one of the many who cut their teeth in computers with Microsoft, and have never moved off the product or felt the need to even look at anything else.
However I do like a Watch, to have on my wrist for mainly the "What time is it?" freak in me.
So a wearable Watch has my interest!!!! Mainly the Moto 360, The LG G Watch R, and now the Apple Watch.
As nice as the Band is, it is first a Health and Fitness device with an ability to keep time. So right off the hop it sits with the Fitbits and others of it's kind. I don't think Watch when I look at the The Band.

I have also been one of the more vocal people begging and pleading to Microsoft to bring a Watch to market, and to date all I ever hear is....."Have you looked at The Band?"......
How I have wished and crossed my fingers Microsoft would wake up and just have cobbled something together that looked Watch like and worked with my Lumia 1020, I would have handed over cash to a Microsoft store.

They have the basics of a design from the Spot watch days, as Microsoft has always been out ahead of the curve for years.

I don't need to track my sleep, I don't need to count my steps ( as I know I walk miles in my job, just in a small space), so a Microsoft Watch does not need fancy sensors .

Now what is the biggest disappointment from all of this is Microsoft had a Full year to notice there is a Market for a "Watch" like device. Yes keep working on The Band as it was a huge Hit, but they failed to follow it with a non Health focused device.

Now before you try to stomp me on this.....Apple on day 1 of Pre Order for it's US market alone did 1 Million pre orders.
Apple reportedly sold one million Apple Watches in its first day of pre-orders | MobileSyrup.com

The Band has been a sell out with each release, and they even started to sell in the UK.....with no Ads, based on word of mouth alone it would seem.

So you have to wonder what would a fully compatible Watch from Microsoft have done? At the very least they should have worked with a Watch maker like Swatch to bring something to market.

Had they done this, the question the OP has would not even really be asked. However because there is no Microsoft Watch, and Apple is very very good at catching the interest of the masses, the question is valid !!!!!!

So I am again taking a look at the chance I leave Windows Phone, to go to something I don't want in a Phone to have something I do want, information on my wrist with the ability to keep my phone in my pocket.

I would like to stay with a full Windows ecosystem, but I am not given the option.....so what option do I have but to give my money to the people who will give me what I want.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I cant get an apple watch im all out of houses to mortgage lol

I am (apparently) getting a microsoft fitbit band thing (i say apparently as i have had my phone over a month now and it hasnt arrived)

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Me? Well, let's start with the fact I don't have a iPhone and no real desire to get one. The whole "Jobs knows best" attitude of the line doesn't sit well with me. I also find Apple seems to over-simplify the number of buttons, so you end up with weird combinations to do certain functions. (Tell me, in what universe is a two-finger swipe intuitive? Or a Apple mouse click? At least MS had the good sense to install a second mouse button for you to explore.)

First, I want a device that can last all day with me. From what I'm hearing, the iWatch sounds like it falls short there. Secondly, I want a device I can look at and know the time - without pushing a button. I'm not sure if the iWatch can do that. Third, the style doesn't speak to me. Frankly it looks like something I might find as a hand-me-down in my mother's jewelry case. And I'm middle aged. Which is to say, it looks dated, not classic.

Even though I have a band, I'm having a hard time imagining what use I'd have for a bunch of apps on my wrist. Although I say that with some reservation since a lot of people have said that about cell phones, then smart phones and tablets. Sure, I can think of things I'd like to see the Band do, but I'm not seeing the Apple light.

It's also not cheap.

And lastly, let's not forget what happened to the first iPad. In a little over two years after it was introduced, it could no longer get OS upgrades. And I'm seeing complaints from users that they can't run newer apps. Such is life on the bleeding edge. I can afford $349, but I can't afford to be throwing it away.

But the real question for me is how many will buy this? Sure, they blew up the tablet market and the smart phone market. Can they do it again? Will it move beyond the fan boys and catch on with the public? I'm waiting to see. Apple has a great track record, but they're not undefeated. We'll have to see how this turns out.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I can afford $349, but I can't afford to be throwing it away.
But you wouldn't be throwing it away - you'd be owning the only true tech accessory of the year! I say "of the year" because next year it'll be outdated or the battery will have permanently given up. Or both.
To be serious though, I think that point you make is indeed where a lot of purchasing decision lines will be drawn.
In general, I'm sure muggers are going to love the "must have an iPhone in pocket" indicator too.
I wish Apple well with it though. If they can get the wearables category rolling, that'll be good. But if I meet a Watch owner and they tell me "it's the first smartwatch", I'll probably shake my head and walk away.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
But if I meet a Watch owner and they tell me "it's the first smartwatch", I'll probably shake my head and walk away.
Just like the iPad was the first tablet. Or the iPod was the first MP3 player.

Apple may not invent, but they do seem to have a talent with the secret sauce that makes it catch on. The question is, can they do it again?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Just like the iPad was the first tablet. Or the iPod was the first MP3 player.

Apple may not invent, but they do seem to have a talent with the secret sauce that makes it catch on. The question is, can they do it again?

The iPod wasn't the first mp3 player. Creative and microsoft teamed up in the late 90s and made an mp3 player because of lack of marketing it faltered. Also usb (flash drive looking) mp3 players were sold at least two years before the iPod. The only thing the iPod gave was more storage capacity that's all. Creative Zen was an example of an mp3 player.
39e6c5438ca82b6790f3d8e4993f0258.jpg

Sony Walkman mp3 player.
e29e19dfa1900156f281acda5b4800b0.png

Last edited:

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Apple watch currently has no independent apps. It has to be tethered to an iPhone. Without an iPhone, the Apple Watch is useless currently. The Apple Watch it NOT compatible with Windows or Android. So, why are we talking about this here? This thread is an iMore topic.

From a very 'ex' Apple user and now a SP3, 930, band owner.... The iWatch does have limited functions if the 'tethered' iPhone is not around (Bing is your friend). My biggest reason for abandoning Apple is the 'closed' eco system. My band works with Android, Apple and Microsoft - as does OneDrive, Office, etc.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have friends that use Windows Phone, and I think it's great! I even bought one of those $49 Lumia 635's for my son as a replacement for an old iPod Touch. But for me, i have SO MUCH invested in Apple that no other choice would work for me. I can't even say how much I've spent on apps and games over the years. it wouldn't make sense for me to switch, even though I do like Windows Phone. So yea, for me, I'd say the same.... that's just me though....

Do you still use all of those apps you have bought over the years? I am thinking not. If it is "so much invested" check to see if those same apps are available in the windows store. As far as music well, it's music. you can copy it to a windows phone. Let me warn you though. DO not consider WP if you are Big to music and have a large music library. The music experience on WP is absolutely Horrible compared to todays standards. every phone I have ever used that supported mp3 playing had a better music experience. I am talking way back to nokia 7710, n95, and even further back to the nokias that came out right after the interchangeable color plates for the number buttons. Motorola razer etc. I am not exaggerating and I can say it enough. If you are big into playlists and music do not ever ever ever even consider buying a windows phone. What does work very well by the way of music is purchasing stuff from the Microsoft store. that process and the tracking of the music is absolutely flawless (go figure) but anything dealing with your own music collection will probably involve you throwing the phone at a wall and using curse words you never used before. Let me know if you want a detailed list of how crapy it is and I AM a Microsoft ****** but its true.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you for the most part but man... the convenience of taking a glance at your wrist beats the heck out of digging in your pocket for a cell phone. Especially if you have a big *** Lumia 1520. I know it isn't a major help BUT... when you are talking about mobile devices small things like a centimeter of thickness, or removing a menu nav item from the screen real estate makes a BIG TIME difference. The band is an extension of the phone. I would love to glance at my wrist and quickly be able to decide while walking/driving/typing on keyboard at work etc. weather or not I want to respond or very passive aggressively decide to deal with that persons **** at another time.

My technology motto is that I will never, ever have more than 2 devices on me at any given time that do the same thing. I have a laptop and a phone. Some people have a tablet and a phone. You may have 3 different devices at your house that are capable of similar things. But nobody will EVER need or even benefit from having 3 devices on them at any given time that do the same thing.

Having a watch that shows me my texts and lets me do the things that my phone does, but on a much smaller screen with an uglier UI will never benefit me. I get that some people just need to have the latest tech, but smart watches are something that tech companies are trying to force on people because they have so thoroughly milked the smartphone and tablet market. There isn't much else they can do that is practical other than cram better specs in to the devices. Watches are silly. They provide the user with the same "wow" novelty factor that Siri did the first time people used it. Now how many people actually use Siri for anything?

Also I used your question to rant about watches. I apologize for that =)

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I have friends that use Windows Phone, and I think it's great! I even bought one of those $49 Lumia 635's for my son as a replacement for an old iPod Touch. But for me, i have SO MUCH invested in Apple that no other choice would work for me. I can't even say how much I've spent on apps and games over the years. it wouldn't make sense for me to switch, even though I do like Windows Phone. So yea, for me, I'd say the same.... that's just me though....

I spent thousands of ?'s and many years on Apples Eco system. I then went to Android briefly and now sticking with Windows. How and Why?

I insist than if any software or App is not cross platform, I don't buy, or use it. I occasionally logon to iTunes and check for software updates for my 1000+ apps. Sure I miss a few games that are only on iPhone/Android, but that's it games - is that a reason for choosing one system.

Lesson learnt from two words 'Cross Platform'. Microsoft makes software available for Apple, Android. Why doesn't Apple or Android do the same?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was part of the joke... seems he was making fun of the people who just think Apple invented everything.

Close. My claim is that Apple is rarely the inventor of anything - but they frequently are the first to have mass appeal. I'll give them props for that.

But yeah, in most cases anyone who says Apple was the first of anything doesn't understand what came before.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's a coincidence that the only Apple product I own also happens to be the most open Apple product: The iPod. I can get my music from CDs, MP3, and a number of sources. I'm not trapped into buying from iTunes.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I spent thousands of ?'s and many years on Apples Eco system. I then went to Android briefly and now sticking with Windows. How and Why?

I insist than if any software or App is not cross platform, I don't buy, or use it. I occasionally logon to iTunes and check for software updates for my 1000+ apps. Sure I miss a few games that are only on iPhone/Android, but that's it games - is that a reason for choosing one system.

Lesson learnt from two words 'Cross Platform'. Microsoft makes software available for Apple, Android. Why doesn't Apple or Android do the same?

That is very similar to what I said earlier; when was the last time you saw Apple release an app on Windows Phone or Android; same holds true with Google/Android. That's one of the biggest gripes I have with my iPad; it does not sync via Bluetooth with my Lumia 925. I sync my wife's 635 via Bluetooth, her Surface RT tablet and my main tablet, my Dell Venue Pro 8 all via Bluetooth since using a sync cable can be a nuisance. In order to put pictures or songs on my iPad (I let my kids use that) I have to sync my phone with my desktop PC. Then connect the iPad to the computer and sync it via iTunes. Sometimes not everything gets added to the iPad. Making a long story short, it is a huge pain dealing with Apple products since you have to own every device on their ecosystem just to be efficient. Microsoft plays on all the other ecosystems and make very nice apps. Part of that is credited to the fact that Microsoft is a software company and the others are not.

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about 1000s of apps ready, but I hear they are getting built. Kind of upsetting, too, considering the market share for Apple Watch will be less than WP. Yet, developers are tripping over themselves to make some apps.

Microsoft has already released an OneDrive app for the Apple Watch, there are hundred of Apple Watch app for can already download on the app store today.

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft has already released an OneDrive app for the Apple Watch, there are hundred of Apple Watch app for can already download on the app store today.

Excactly. Also Microsoft today released a PowerPoint app for the Apple Watch.

Plus there are already Facebook, Twitter, American Airlines, JetBlue, Fifa 15, Runtastic, MLB, Porsche, BMW, heaps of news sites, magazines, newspapers etc.

How many of those will be available for the Band? I think even Runtastic doesn't have a Band app yet. Microsoft again loses a whole market because of missing apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers